Exaggerated Kayak Weights...

My Explorer
She is 60 - 70 Lbs. I don’t know.

I care when getting it to and from the car and less when I have friends to help.

I use a Thule rod to help load it on the Exterra now and just slap her atop our VW.

For my part the weight is not that important on the water and yours is not a fast boat anyway.

As for the 5 lbs seat. Check see if they have a Glock, Sig and a Smith and Wesson taped to the bottom of it.

Weighing a kayak at the manufacturer is sometimes done without the hatches, life lines, gear deamed to be optional, (Skeg and Rudder) and even a seat: With the bulkheads at the mininum available (no day hatch or compartment).

It soumnds insane but not if you have tried to buy a new Jeep Wrangler for the advertised $19,500.00 in Canada.

I finally got it on the water today…
Paddled about 4 miles on the Erie canal. Does pretty much what I wanted, so I guess I am happy. I just wish it were lighter.

I will have to learn the proper way to turn though. I used to have a 14’ with rudder and a 10’. Both were really easy to turn so I never learned the right way; this tracks well and is difficult to turn. But you can’t have everything. (I know, you have to put it on its side to turn, but I wait on practicing that until the water warms up.)

weights …
…a 5 pound variance in weight is not a lot…it can easily happen during manufacturing process’s …a little extra epoxy or gel or glass/kevlar here and there… a couple of hatch covers a tad thick, due to their process variances. By the time we load our tushes in the boats with our GPS, bottled water, array of doo-dads and convenience items, deck bags, this mornings 3 egg omelet b’fast and 2 cups of coffee and God knows what else, 5 #'s ain’t enough to worry about. also …boats weights are w/o rudder system weight, if so equipped. kayaking is a active, physical sport…a little physical conditioning program goes a long ways.

You still…
…have an exceptionally light boat. Mine is thermoformed and probably weighs in around 55 pounds and doesn’t really bother me at all… with the exception of last fall, when I had to lug it back to a car at low tide :slight_smile:

It got real heavy real quick. Shoulda bought a cart!

learning to turn
get instruction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjvWhQSmFRI

Revolution Seating System ???

– Last Updated: Mar-18-12 11:24 AM EST –

Not quite sure what a Seating System is but it sounds heavy. Surf kayakers take the seats out of their factory boats and shape a small tight fitting seat from minicell foam. Definitely weighs less than a seating system. So once you have paddled the boat 10 times or so, you might think about making a custom seat and you could probably shed several pounds, keep your old seat and hardware for when you sell the boat when you move to a more performance oriented design.

How accurate is your scale?
If it is a bathroom scale, there could easily be an error of a few pounds.

ditto on the scale
mine weighs everything ten pounds heavier than it actually is ;)…

You can probably lighten yourself by five pounds to make up the difference.