Example of why you never trust another vessel to do what they should...

If a power boat can’t see and avoid something as large as a ferry, just think what it would be like for a kayak, canoe, or other small vessel…
http://threesheetsnw.com/blog/2016/12/how-not-to-cross-a-washington-state-ferry-video/

Incident from last Sunday.

Good grief! That was a hit and run! The Blue Moon (60m) is a regular visitor to the harbor where I launch. Have to be blind to miss such behemoths - or extraordinarily careless.

The ferry Chetzemoka is 84 meters long, and would be pretty hard to miss. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Chetzemoka

@Rookie said:
Good grief! That was a hit and run!

Fortunately, that wasn’t the case, and I think the backwash of the ferry’s props running in reverse gave that boat quite a shove, though perhaps it kept idling along for a while too. The related newspaper article said “…the ferry was delayed for only 30 minutes before the Coast Guard cleared both vessels for travel…”, which tells me the powerboat did not leave.

I did get quite a chuckle when I heard one of the bystanders say “look at the name” (on the boat), causing the woman making the video to take note of it herself and laugh. I bet the powerboat operator is going to be taking a lot of crap from his friends now.

Seems like someone was napping!

Nap Tyme …was likely on auto pilot. Notice how after the impact it recovered and got back on course?

Peter CA said, " The ferry Chetzemoka is 84 meters long, and would be pretty hard to miss." … guess he had to hit it if it was hard to miss. :wink:

Nap Tyme should clearly have given way, but there may be some readers who are unfamiliar with the complexities of the rules of navigation at sea (rather than on inland waters, where other rules may apply). For those few, and for the even fewer who might be interested, here is my basic understanding of those rules affecting the collision in the video:

1. It is the duty of every operator of a vessel to keep a proper look-out.
  2. Local laws may over-ride other regulations. (e.g harbor regulations may give priority to some vessels such as those over 50 meters in length or 500 tons)
  3. If a vessel is constrained by its draft, and cannot maneuver, other vessels must give way. Such constrained vessels should display the correct day marks or lights under Rule 28.
  4. If two power-driven vessels are on crossing courses, the vessel with the other vessel on its starboard side should give way. The other vessel must “stand-on” its course, unless collision is imminent. Nap Tyme’s duty to stand-on is here negated by the other rules described above.

There are many complexities to the Rules in terms of which Rule has priority, but the above understanding has been sufficient for me in a lifetime of navigation of sailing cruising yachts and sea kayaks.

In practice, at the first sight of a vessel larger than my kayak I scuttle off into the nearest shallow and/or rocky area. If none is available I make a very large change of course, and wave my paddle vertically in the air. Sometimes I’ll hide behind a large navigation buoy or post, particularly on the inter-coastal waterway. I’ve survived so far, but I’ve been lucky.
Nick.

In Pearl Harbor, Hickam Harbor we called it the “BIG grey boat rule”. Big ship gets right of way and plenty of room.

Agree with the autopilot comment. I hate ‘em because they are abused by negligent skippers. A few years ago I was sitting stationary about 2 miles offshore in my 25’ powerboat & was nearly run down by a big fisher yacht on autopilot. I fired up & got out of the way, but never did succeed in raising the other skipper. The boat continued on…

I know a shrimper that lost his boat when another shrimper, asleep at the wheel, ran them down one night.

Yeah i saw this posted on the trailer sailor forum. Definitely on auto pilot. Must not of had a radar activated alarm turned on.