Excess Water!

I am looking for advice on how to reduce the water dripping off my paddle into the kayak, and onto me! I follow the basic paddling techniques shown in videos, and I use a standard paddle that has the rubber collars to reduce/stop drips.

I do not want to take lessons just to solve this issue!

Not sure lessons would improve this.

Drips happen - best to work with it. If you are in a boat that takes a skirt, wear one. Otherwise, get clothing where water drip won’t be an issue.

Be sure the drip rings are far enough up the shaft that they do not dip in the water in any part of your stroke. Amazing how many are right above the blade. Yeah I know theoretically that is all the further the paddle should enter the water, but give the rings a few more inches. I also use the right rings to guage whether my paddle is centered; I tend to naturally shift the paddle to the left.

I meant to say drip rings–not right rings, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to edit a post.

What the heck is “Markdown”?

@magooch said:
Be sure the drip rings are far enough up the shaft that they do not dip in the water in any part of your stroke. Amazing how many are right above the blade. Yeah I know theoretically that is all the further the paddle should enter the water, but give the rings a few more inches. I also use the drip rings to guage whether my paddle is centered; I tend to naturally shift the paddle to the left.

Isn’t this a hoot–no way to edit, or delete a post.

I tell everyone I paddle with “kayaking is a wet sport”. It’s rare that I go out without getting somewhat wet or completely soaked. I’ve removed all the drip rings from my paddles because they don’t work well and just get in the way when you try to shove your paddle under a deck bungee.

To each their own, but I think if you’re dressing for a swim then a bit of dripping from the paddle should be of no concern.

No> @magooch said:

yes there is… go to the top right hand corner and wave you mouse. A little gear symbol will come up… Click and its the edit button… You can edit for an hour.

Or delete. Kinda sneaky huh?

I solved that problem last year. When I am not using a spray skirt, I treat the blades and ends of the shaft with Rustoleum Two Part “Never Wet”. The paddle blade comes out of the water perfectly dry, but the stuff wears off in a few trips, and treatment must be repeated.

Use a skirt to start. You didn’t indicate if your boat is a sit inside or a SOT. But unless it is a rec boat with a prohibitively large cockpit in terms of cost of the cover, start there. That said, getting wet and kayaking go together. It is just a matter of how much wet. If getting a bit damp or purchasing a skirt and/or a bit of waterproof clothing to limit the wet is not acceptable, you may be trying the wrong sport.

Thx to all for your comments. It sounds like the problem is not unique to me, and I am now prepared to get wet! (after the Rustoleum wears off …).

You could convert to a low angle stroke. Most excessive drippiness is during a high angle paddle stroke. I use a skirt.

I only use a skirt when conditions get serious and I seldom get dripped on. The above suggestion is right on.

@kayamedic said:
No> @magooch said:

yes there is… go to the top right hand corner and wave you mouse. A little gear symbol will come up… Click and its the edit button… You can edit for an hour.

Or delete. Kinda sneaky huh?

I can’t seem to get the gear symbol to come up. The top right hand corner of the page or the individual post do not respond to mouse waving. So can you be a bit more specific? I am thinking about taking my mouse and waving it by its long tail over my head while doing a voodoo incantation, or wrapping it around my neck and ending the frustration! :#

OK the voodoo worked! I got it to come up on the upper right hand corner of the post before the necktie got too tight. B)

This new site sure brings meaning to the old Chinese curse “May you live in interesting times”! I find being a bit philosophical helps. That or getting out on the water…They need an emoji with a paddle!

Like this?

That’s it! Howudothat? :o This digital dimwit is wondering. :smiley:

@castoff

Googled kayak emojis and found lots. Then did a copy and paste.

We had blizzard conditions today and things were slow at the office.