Exercise/ Cruising Kayak

I would like to get a kayak that preforms well in different paddling conditions and would be similar to a sea kayak but does not have storage capabilities. Looking for something that would be lighter in weight. Any ideas other than exotic layups that drives up the costs. Thanks

Surfski? Something like a Stellar S18S might fit your bill.

What conditions? If the answer is ā€˜allā€™ , a ski might be a good choice. Maybe an Epic V7.
They have been around awhile so you might find a used one.

Keep in mind that the storage capacity of a sea kayak is actually a secondary benefit of the storage space - the primary benefit of that enclosed space is as flotation for the boat. This is what allows the boat to be re-entered in deep water when you flip. So if your thought is to find a boat that doesnā€™t have storage so you can get a smaller or lighter boat, there are other consequences to that should you find one.

4 Likes

I think I have the perfect physical shape. Any kayak wide enough to hold me comfortably has mote than enough storgage space.

1 Like

Length, weight, conditions, budget, width, your size? All helps people recommend a hull.

The Epic 18 with the surfski deck on it.

The hull isnā€™t great as a surfski, but it is stable and as fast as the paddle engine can push it.

Because they sold it as a surfski and it isnā€™t, there are quite a few of them on the resale market for pretty cheap.

Iā€™m 5ā€™4" 130 lbs, paddling on the Great Lakes where the water freezes in the winter. I think a ski is a good suggestion except for being more exposed to the cold water
. Iā€™d prefer to be inside the boat.

Generally, weight and cost go in opposite directions. So, setting your top cost would probably help also (in addition to what PDog asked) in getting you some suggestions.

BTW, paddling a less expensive, heavier boat will give you better exercise on and off the water, if ā€œexerciseā€ is the primary goal (as opposed to ā€œcompetitive performanceā€).

sing

1 Like

Because conditions on the Great Lakes and other bigger waters are variable and can change so quickly, seaworthiness would be among my top considerations. At your weight, Iā€™d be looking for something at least 14 1/2 feet long and - it goes without saying - with good flotation.
A friend of mine who is about your size and who also paddles bigger lakes has a Delta 15s (thermoform) and is quite happy with it. Another possibility that should come in a few hundred dollars less is the Dagger Stratos 14.5 S (poly).
Kayak selection is highly personal so seek out a reputable dealer who knows kayaks and who will let you try before you buy. A rental fee may apply, but many dealers will apply it toward the purchase price.

1 Like

I mainly paddle as a compliment work-out to my road cycling, thoā€™ sometimes trips are for adventure and nature watching. Any 16ā€™ or longer sea kayak would foot the bill. Iā€™ve got a Current Design Gulfstream and a Necky Elaho both fiberglass.

At your size, watch for a used Venture Easky 15LV. Iā€™m around your height, though 20 pounds heavier, and have used one for 13 years. They discontinued the model about 6 years ago (still sell in in England, I think). Hard chined, 15ā€™ long and only 22" beam but quite stable feeling with great secondary. The LV is low volume for smaller framed people and the boat is around 45 pounds and well outfitted, made in the UK by renowned kayak company P & H.

Very sporty feeling hull design that handles well, tracks straight and is good in rough water and wind due to a low profile deck (sort of Greenland kayak lines). Great seat with convertible back (I prefer it folded into the low backband position so I can use a spray skirt.) Well designed thigh hooks and easily adjusted foot pegs. Other nice little features like an embedded metal bar for a security cable and a bungee and hook paddle holder along one gunwale. Also a recess for a deck pod or compass.

I have owned a couple of dozen kayaks and this has been a favorite I would never give up. Have used it in the coastal Atlantic, Lakes Michigan and Erie and even in some class 2 whitewater rivers. Very versatile boat. Often turns up used for under $700.

Hereā€™s a photo of one of my friends using the Easky ā€“ actually I have often loaned it to friends and family for outings since it is so confidence building for novices and is pleasant and sporty feeling to paddle.

Perhaps a 14ā€™ low volume fiberglass day tourer, around 40 lbs., $2500-3000 new?
Stellar S14 LV
Eddyline Sitka ST
Boreal Pakesso
etc.

I have no experience with the above models, so donā€™t consider this a recommendation. Iā€™m just trying to help identify the right class of boat.

Your subsequent reply says Great Lakes and you donā€™t want to be cold. So you are in a SINK w sea kayak capabilities in terms of conditions and self-rescue.

The shorter ones that Willowleaf recommends are your best choice.

Donā€™t know where the OP is located, but there is a Venture Easky for sale (CL) a bit north of Minneapolis/St. Paul for $800. Seller says it is in ā€œgreat conditionā€. No images on the listing, however.

I am looking for a fast cruiser and not needing storage. Would like something lighter then my Tempest 165 Pro.

Boats like the Easky are probably lighter and it seems that you are confounding storage with safety. The point of some above is that a SINK characteristics are safer for the waters you said you paddle in. And as your research has likely already discovered, SOTs are heavy. As well as being dogs to load on a car compared to most SINKS. .Nothing/little to grip.

Also going to be challenging to find a faster boat unless you go to a ski. Or an EPIC layup which is fancy and pricey. Also off your list.

Have you considered investing in a Hullivator for the car and a good cart rather than trying to change the boat? You have a good one.

1 Like

You still have not provided budget numbers, so itā€™s pretty hard to make suggestions. The only common (relatively, they are not common) high speed used sit in kayaks with no storage are K1 trainers/racing kayaks. As a group not very seaworthy. You would need to install float bags for safe use in the lakes, or for any solo use. They are nice and light though, and can be fast if you keep them smooth side down in the water.