Exiting your Kayak when you're 60+ and FLUFFY

I folks, I’m new to this site, and aside from googling to find answers (which I really can’t seem to find) I’m looking for some advice. I currently have a sit in kayak - which I love. BUT…I am older now (just turne 60 3 days ago!), and overweight (though to be nice, I’m uber FLUFFY), and my hips and sometimes my knees hurt. This makes getting OUT of my kayak a little tricky, and embarrassing if others are around.

I’m selling my sit in and most likely going to get a sit on top, BUT I would prefer another sit in, just a little larger.

Can anyone give me concrete advise as to the easiest way to get OUT of the kayak when you have sore knees and hips? It can be really difficult to do when there’s nothing/no one to hold onto. Using the paddle as a stabilizer doesn’t work when you are on a beach type shore, and aside from getting wet every time, and having to be knee deep in water, I’m just wondering if a 12ft sit in, might be easier - than the 10ft I currently have. We are recreational kayakers only. Lakes, ponds, calm rivers mostly…just to be out, take photos and chillax.

Should I give up and get a sit on top? I know it’s a lot easier for exiting, but…

Comments please?

Thanks!

What is it you want, to keep your feet dry? Then get an assisted entry dock.
(Handicap dock)

The paddle assist works for this 68 year old fluffy paddler. You may find though you’re not doing it right.

If you get out with a good paddle brace(1 blade on ground) in knee deep water , where you can get a leg centered under the weight you can get up better.

On of our 80 yo paddlers comes up parralle to the beach and rolls out to a hands and knees position then gets up.

Don’t worry about dignity.
At our age getting out can require half a roll
I seek beaches. I used to be able to get out on rocky shores or 18 inch high docks

As we paddle several places in a week a dedicated dock isn’t practical

Getting out in deeper water works best for me

At our home we do have a dedicated dock but its pretty high up as its designed for powerboats. We have not made any adaptations to lower a segment to under two feet as we share it with six neighbors and for the most part dont paddle our lake much in the summer as there are many less busy places around. We do have a swim ladder which makes entry and exit much easier.

Hmm… try a canoe?

I’m not sure the requirement for keeping your feet/legs dry is reasonable from a beach put in, which is by far the easiest place to enter and exit a kayak in my opinion. Using a dock will keep you dry but it also requires strength, balance, and some finesse for your body to end up in the right place with your kayak right side up (unless it encorporates some fancy technological gadgetry).

I’ll use a dock only if it’s the most feasible entry point. My preferred launch is a beach though, where I can decide whether I’ll use the paddle for support or straddle with my feet in the water and balance to enter. Or, of no help to you I’m sure, when the weather is warm I’ll just jump in and swim the boat out and climb in. :wink:

I understand that some of these options aren’t workable for you, hence why you asked the question. I’m just not sure the solution exists that fits all of your criteria so you might prepare to make some concessions.

@Finssup
Belated happy birthday! Love your description as being “fluffy.”

You mentioned you’re paddling a 10-foot boat. What make? That will give an idea of the size of the cockpit you’re dealing with now.

P.S. I’ve read that 60 is the new 40. http://sixtyandme.com/60-is-the-new-middle-age/

@Overstreet said:
What is it you want, to keep your feet dry? Then get an assisted entry dock.
(Handicap dock)

The paddle assist works for this 68 year old fluffy paddler. You may find though you’re not doing it right.

If you get out with a good paddle brace(1 blade on ground) in knee deep water , where you can get a leg centered under the weight you can get up better.

On of our 80 yo paddlers comes up parralle to the beach and rolls out to a hands and knees position then gets up.

That’s how I get out of a sit inside.

@Rookie said:
@Finssup
Belated happy birthday! Love your description as being “fluffy.”

You mentioned you’re paddling a 10-foot boat. What make? That will give an idea of the size of the cockpit you’re dealing with now.

P.S. I’ve read that 60 is the new 40. http://sixtyandme.com/60-is-the-new-middle-age/

I’m knocking on 70s door and don’t feel like 50.

Age shouldn’t have much to do with getting in and out of your boat; conditioning does. I’m 75 and can enter and exit better than I could when I was much younger. It’s all about selecting a method and then doing it thousands of times to where it’s a reflexive maneuver that you don’t even have to think about. I always enter and exit in the water–6 to 12 inches. I get in one leg and butt first from the side of the boat. Then pull the other leg in. It takes all of two to three seconds. Getting out is almost as fast. This method takes a lot of practice and some arm strength on the exit.

An alternate method that works for those not yet conditioned is: Depending on the boat and the size of the cockpit, once you have confidence in your boat, you should be able to back up to the side of the boat in the water and just sit down in the seat. Swivel your butt in the seat and pull your legs in one at a time. Getting out is the reverse. With the boat in about a foot of water, pull your legs out, swivel in the seat so both legs are on the same side of the boat. Then lean forward causing the boat to tip on edge and you should be standing next to the boat. Most boats will lean a lot further than you think before they let go. With enough practice it is second nature. I think it helps to always enter and exit from the same side. Your balance and process will be learned more quickly and I can’t think of any reason that you would need to learn both sides unless you just choose to.

It’s just like mounting a bike, or a horse–always from the left side.

Agree with @magooch . I use his first method to get in and out. And I’d like to add some details on it. I put the paddle on a side before getting in. After step my first leg in, I put my two hands on the two sides of the cockpit to help with getting my butt onto the seat. Once sitting in comfortably, I will get my second leg in. Finally, get my paddle. I have used this method for many years, and felt very easy and quick to do. And never tipped over. Just reverse the order to get out.

Of course, I use a different way when there is a dock.

I accidentally rolled my kayak in 6" of water back in February. Last week I did much better making a clean exit by bringing the boat parallel to shore and placing my paddle behind me just beyond the combing to stabilize the boat. Could a SOT be in my future?

With a dry suit you just laugh off little oopsies like that. If you’re really proud you could even follow it up by saying “I was hot”.

On a short trip in a borrowed boat, my back was giving me a fit. The air was warm and the water cold.
I fell out in a foot of water while getting out. Back pain was instantly gone.

Thanks all, for your comments. I always get my legs/feet wet but even noticed last fall that using the side exit and tipping the side a bit as I stand up, let’s water in and kayak and Finssup are both wet. My right knee gives me grief so I’m assuming that my exit should be my left side - which it is because I’m left handed. I have a 10ft pelican. Nothing spectacular but manageable to load and unload by myself. I’m convinced that a 12ft with a wider cockpit would be more stable and easier for me to manage. We are only recreational yakkers, not looking for long haul or weekend trips, we just go out for an hour or so on calm waters for the most part. Hips are an issue at times too, so couple all of that with the extra padding makes it cumbersome at times. I know that a 60lb weight loss would help me but in the meantime I’d still like to kayak

@string said:
On a short trip in a borrowed boat, my back was giving me a fit. The air was warm and the water cold.
I fell out in a foot of water while getting out. Back pain was instantly gone.

My first year of paddling, a friend stopped by to paddle with me. I mentioned I had been doing some exercises to get in better paddling shape, including weighted squats. Yup, when getting in my boat I fell over into the lake.

That’s when you need a Sirocco.

@Finssup said:
I folks, I’m new to this site, and aside from googling to find answers (which I really can’t seem to find) I’m looking for some advice. I currently have a sit in kayak - which I love. BUT…I am older now (just turne 60 3 days ago!), and overweight (though to be nice, I’m uber FLUFFY), and my hips and sometimes my knees hurt. This makes getting OUT of my kayak a little tricky, and embarrassing if others are around.

I’m selling my sit in and most likely going to get a sit on top, BUT I would prefer another sit in, just a little larger.

Can anyone give me concrete advise as to the easiest way to get OUT of the kayak when you have sore knees and hips? It can be really difficult to do when there’s nothing/no one to hold onto. Using the paddle as a stabilizer doesn’t work when you are on a beach type shore, and aside from getting wet every time, and having to be knee deep in water, I’m just wondering if a 12ft sit in, might be easier - than the 10ft I currently have. We are recreational kayakers only. Lakes, ponds, calm rivers mostly…just to be out, take photos and chillax.

Should I give up and get a sit on top? I know it’s a lot easier for exiting, but…

Comments please?

Thanks!

I hesitate to send this response, but my intent is purely positive and encouraging. I am also over 60. I started kayaking six months ago and was WAY overweight at 280#… and hell yes, knees/hips/back/shoulders… everything hurt. I decided rather than changing boats, I needed to change me. In the last 6 months I have lost 60#s. I have another 30# to go, but the change in my physical ability is miraculous. Inflammation and pain are gone. Don’t give up on yourself!!!

I didn’t spend any money or see a doctor, I didn’t take any pills, no magic to it… I put myself on a Keto diet to lower insulin, stopped eating all processed food and sugar, quit alcohol, and started scheduled eating (I eat only during a 6 hour window… no snacks, nothing! outside of that 6 hours). I learned all of this from You Tube. Look up Dr. Eric Berg and start there… lot’s of great education available. The #1 thing… if you want to improve your life, educate thyself… and lower your insulin… insulin is the root cause of why it is so difficult to lose weight.

PM me if you have questions. You can do this!

I really rely on my friends to help me in and out. They can stabalize the boat, pull an end up onto shore, or even give me a hand up. In rough terrain they have even helped with carrying the boat to and from the water. In turn, I provide some trip organization, knowledge about local runs and water levels. In general I try to be supportive of others and provide some leadership when it is needed…

I try to paddle ww well within my ability (class III). I know I am slow getting dressed (arrive at the put in early) and launched and am limited in my rescue ability, Scrambling quickly over rocks is something I can’t really do right now.

I don’t worry about the scratches on the boat or the car when loading or dragging. . Losing weight would help with mobility and I do focus on getting daily exercise ( walking, paddling, or exercise bike). and am only so so about watching what I eat, I am prediabetic so I 've got an incentive to clean up my act…

I have to admit it felt pretty good doing a solid class III run on tuesday. My buddy helped me at the takeout by dragging the back of my boat onto shore to facilitate getting out. (I had one hip replaced in Nov. and the second replaced in Feb.) I still haven’t worked my way into my wavesport Y which has a smaller cockpit and a less supportive backband. I still haven’t tried rolling. I’ve been out 5 times since november (when I had the first hip done) on tygarts creek (ky), in wv on the little coal, birch, dry fork of the cheat, and paint creek.,

Do what you can, as long as you can and don’t be shy about giving but also asking and accepting others help, If you get a little wet getting in or out, that’s no big deal. If I’m lucky 25 or 30 years from now i’ll be crawling in and out of a ducky, I
might be wearin’ a pair of depends and sippin’ my river lunch through a straw but it will all be good if I’m still on the water.

@billder99 said:

@Finssup said:

Comments please?

Thanks!

I hesitate to send this response, but my intent is purely positive and encouraging. I am also over 60. I started kayaking six months ago and was WAY overweight at 280#… and hell yes, knees/hips/back/shoulders… everything hurt. I decided rather than changing boats, I needed to change me. In the last 6 months I have lost 60#s. I have another 30# to go, but the change in my physical ability is miraculous. Inflammation and pain are gone. Don’t give up on yourself!!!

I didn’t spend any money or see a doctor, I didn’t take any pills, no magic to it… I put myself on a Keto diet to lower insulin, stopped eating all processed food and sugar, quit alcohol, and started scheduled eating (I eat only during a 6 hour window… no snacks, nothing! outside of that 6 hours). I learned all of this from You Tube. Look up Dr. Eric Berg and start there… lot’s of great education available. The #1 thing… if you want to improve your life, educate thyself… and lower your insulin… insulin is the root cause of why it is so difficult to lose weight.

PM me if you have questions. You can do this!

Good work congratulations!

I"m pushing 50 and 240 lbs. No real pain though other than a knee that had 2 torn ligaments in my 20s. I worked hard to find a boat with a cockpit large enough to allow me to swing my legs in and out the same way you’d finish a Cowboy Scramble self-rescue - basically straddling the cockpit, plopping your butt down to get in, and swinging legs in. Getting out is the reverse - pop the skirt, swing the legs out, and kind of roll forward to stand up. This video covers it pretty well (the straddle method rather than legs on one side):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfGKHvJE6nQ.

My paddles as outriggers have stood up to far more weight than I thought they would.

My question to you to help decide on a sit-in vs a sit-on-top: what’s your plan if you capsize in open water? How do you intend to get back in? If a self-rescue in a sit-in is impossible for you then the decision is made: sit-on-top it is.

I am close to your age, fluffy, and have a badly messed up knee that barely bends to 90 degrees. I tried out a number of sit inside kayaks with large cockpits, and it was very difficult to impossible to enter or exit. I decided to go with a SOT. I started with a 13 foot Necky Vector and now paddle a 14 foot Eddyline Caribbean. I do multi-day trips as well as day paddling, so my needs are a little different than the OP who sounds like more of a casual day paddler. The SOT has worked very well for me. Entry & exit are not 100% graceful or 100% dry, but I’m good with that. My bad knee is on the left, and I find entry & exit best on that side. Left leg out, firmly plant left foot, swing right leg out, turn slightly and push on the floor/cockpit area of the kayak to help stand, waddle to shore. Since I know my preferred side for entry & exit, I turn & align my kayak in that direction if at all possible.