Experience with Palm or Yak float bags?

They are significantly cheaper than Harmony, NRS, etc. I understand ‘you get what you pay for’ but I can’t see any reason why they would be any worse.

I would reply to this by saying it’s a total myth that NRS float bags are good quality. My experience has been that the brand is nothing special. I have gotten NRS float bags for a solo canoe twice. The first pair only lasted one season. I only used them once, and they were fine for that, but when I went to use them the next year, the attachment of the fitting for the filler hose to the bag had come unglued. I asked about this at the paddling shop where I bought them, and all they could say was “yeah, that always happens lately, but they claim to have fixed that problem now.” You know, gluing fabrics together isn’t exactly rocket science, but somehow NRS chose a totally untested method instead of any of the methods which have been known and understood for years. But based on the comment that “they claim to have fixed that problem now”, and the fact that NRS was the only brand available at the shop, I bought another pair. These lasted slightly longer. The attachment of the hose connection to the bag has held up this time, but actual filler hoses fell apart. The hoses literally became fragile and shattered into numerous pieces. In both cases, the bags were stored very loosely inside a big box (away from light) in a dry basement room where it’s pretty much a constant 68 degrees.

I haven’t needed float bags in the intervening years, but I’m pretty sure I can still use that second set of bags, if I go to the hardware store and get some clear plastic hose (I can’t recall what that kind of hose is actually made of) of the proper size. If it turns out that NRS uses a non-standard size of hose, so that their fittings will only connect to their own brand of hose, I won’t be happy.

Did I “get what I paid for” by buying NRS? Not even close. I’d gladly try some other brand.

1 Like

Thank you!

Depends what they are made of also possibly. I have a bunch of Seattle Sports float bags front and rear in at least 6 kayaks. Never had a problem with any of them except one valve loosened and I reglued it.

When considering Palm or Yak float bags, there are a few factors to keep in mind. While they are typically more affordable than brands like Harmony and NRS, many users find that they offer decent performance for recreational paddling. Palm bags are often praised for their durability and design, while Yak float bags are known for being lightweight and easy to pack. However, quality can vary based on specific models and usage. It’s essential to assess how frequently you’ll use them and in what conditions. For casual use on calm waters, they should serve you well, but if you plan on atfbooru tackling rougher conditions or need bags that withstand more wear and tear, investing in higher-end options might be worthwhile. Additionally, consider checking user reviews or reaching out to fellow paddlers for their experiences, as real-world feedback can be incredibly valuable.