Explorer/ Aquanaut rocker?

There you have it
The Romany is a ball of fun! I paddle my Romany more than either my Aquanaut or Nordkapp LV - which is also a fun boat.

And it tours just as fast…only a hell of a lot of fun when there’s fun to be had.

My prediction: The better paddler you become (sounds like you’re well on your way) the more you will choose the Romany for all your paddling, or a similar playful boat. They are just more FUN. you can paddle a bathtub and keep up, so why not go with something that’s fun when the fun is there to be enjoyed?? Just my take on sea touring. My personal evolution was similar. Went from long and skinny and so called fast to playfull. I’ll keep up in anything, but i want fun!

hmmm
Well it has been a while since I owned the Naut. I still do remember it having a fairly hard chine (at least the glass one did).

It definitely had the feel of a harder chine boat…more definite separation between primary and secondary stability.

I never found the naut hard to turn with or without edging deeply. I found it highly maneuverable…particularly in rougher water.

As to the comment above about the low brace turn…I found that the Naut responded to a low brace turn better than the Explorer actually. You could really spin the boat around on edge in my opinion.

Both are great boats. Both are highly maneuverable. The Naut is probably faster and slightly more stable in confused water, has better secondary, the Explorer is probably a better surfer for reasons stated above…that’s in my opinion after logging hundreds of miles (probably over 1000 in the Naut).

But again it’s been a while since I paddled the Naut and I never paddled them back to back.

Again though… both are great boats.

Matt

Rocker
Where does the Cetus fall within this discussion as rocker it has.

Aquanaut turning
I never had a problem turning boat especially unloaded,

but last outting getting stuck in a surf zone with

loaded Aquanaut and being unable to turn quick enough

between sets of waves made me want a more maneuvrable

boat. For general everyday paddling playful is fun,

for me atleast. I enjoy the Aquanauts glide and speed

but enjoy a loose/rockered boat more. I have glass

Avocet but that’s mostly paddled by someone else

these days, so was considering Romany or even a Vela

which would evenly match Avocet for most outtings.

As far as campimg, I only do 3-4 days max for now so

big boat not really needed.

"…playful is fun."
Then try a Nordkapp LV if you get a chance :wink:

Don’t switch edges

– Last Updated: Oct-02-08 4:27 PM EST –

Leon Somme, at Downeast, had us working on low brace turns by maintaining the same edge throughout -e.g. edge and sweep on right and hold that edge with paddle blade barely skimming the surface of the water on the right.

Very fast efficient turn.

Nord LV
I was thinking of picking up the used one from this site, but seller changed his mind to keep it.

Right… low brace turn either way…

– Last Updated: Sep-30-08 1:30 AM EST –

A low brace (aka inside edge) turn can be done on one edge or with a switch. I was just saying the switch method does not work very well in an Aquanaut, because the nice, tight bow stops the turn as the boat comes upright.

But if that's the sacrifice for a tight bow, it's worth it. A tight bow means, for example, if you're in the rocks and take a breaker abeam, you won't get shoved sideways as much. That's very useful and inspires confidence.

Actually, a low brace turn on flat water (as in the 2*) is more of a training exercise than a useful stroke, to prep beginners for the move they will need when they work in current. When peeling out into current, you want to lean downstream, that is, on an inside edge, with a not-quite low brace in waiting in case you overedge or the current is less than you expected. In that context, there's no initiation issue, no edge switch, so the tight bow is moot.

Also, there's no need to dig in the paddle to make the turn -- the current will turn you plenty. That's why the BCU teaches you not to dig in -- it really amounts to a reverse sweep.

Explorer.

Put her on edge and she spins on a dime.

Low brace turns… neat trick and great for missing rocks and stuff: But all your correction strokes should be positive unless you are trying to slow down in which case a turn from one side to another with loss of speed is academic.

Explorer is not a fast boat but she is great in a sea.

This is when compared to the Nordcapp LV and the likes.

You can sit and take photos when your buddies are bracing to stay right side up.

She is a rough boat but there are reasons the BCU Gurus use her.

I like the Nordcapp LV as well but I think I prefer my Explorer (heavy as a pallet of bricks) over any other boat I have been in.

I own and use a Sealution, Capella, Orion, Makkovic and an Explorer: I have paddled most other offerings at one time or another.

For my purposes; 90% ++ day paddles, or night paddles in varying conditions: The NDK explorer is ideal

5’ 8" 175 - 180 Lbs.

I do carry lots of safety junk and have had occasion to use almost all of it this year so add 20 lbs to that and a light lunch.

Explorer is OK, rough as guts but a great boat.

until recently there were a few for sale
Wow, I just checked and although there are 5 Nordkapps for sale in the p.net classifieds, none are LVs!

It seems not that long ago there were a number of Nordkapp LVs in the classifieds here…

I guess the sell off of initial owners who decided they “didn’t want to have to think about the boat” is complete :wink: Now that the fad for Nordlows has passed, it can reside in its rightful place as a niche boat.

Jay’s comment
Jay made a qualifying comment above that to me changes the nature of this post a little bit…

He commented about being in the surf zone and not being able to turn into the waves quick enough between sets…I know the feeling.

For making a quick turn into an oncoming wave in the surf zone I would have to say the Explorer may have the edge there (no pun intended).

But…no 18 foot boat is very easy to spin 90 degrees in the surf zone without some effort.

If you are looking for something with that kind of maneuverability then I would look at a 16 foot boat.

Frankly you can’t beat the Romany Surf (aka Romany HV and Posedion…all are basically the same). To me it is an awesome boat and will spin around with ease in such a situation.

It also has a bit more hatch volume than other 16 foot boats which makes it suitable for shorter trips.

Or…have you tried a Greenland paddle? I find that the leverage of the extended GP helps greatly in spinning a long boat around in such a situation.

Matt

matt

The Cetus has very little rocker, that
is why it is a fast boat. I own a Cetus and an Aquanaut LV RM and a Q boat. The Cetus is fast, but only a decent tracker. Flat bottoms are not ideal surfers. The Q boat turns on a dime as long as the bow is up some, and rolls better than any boat I have paddled(including my SOF). The Aquanaut is the most well rounded and best all around boat I have ever paddled, and for $1250 new it was the best value I have seen yet. It covers up many paddler flaws and practically runs on autopilot in waves and chop. I will also say that the roto boats are VERY different from the composite brothers of the same name. At 6’3" 245lbs I am a little big for the Q boat. The Cetus is like a floating lazy boy, and the Aquanaut is what I take when conditions are uncertain.

euro/gp
Whoops - I missed the rule than prohibits to extend EP for exactly the same purpose :wink:

Not just anybody can paddle
a Nordkapp.

Dogmaticus

GP
I usually paddle with a GP, I was just curious about

explorer’s maneuverability compared to Aquanaut. If I

had a dealer close by where I could demo I wouldn’t of

posted. I know now I’d rather paddle a 16’ playful

boat. If I want to trip out of one I’ll adjust or

lose some gear. Thx

euro / ep
Okay I almost included in my message that you could do the same thing with a EP but figured it was not worth mentioning…

However since it has been brought up…the GP is a much better tool in the extended position than the EP.

Easier and more natural to extend and more effective, and easier on your body in my opinion.

With a EP in the extended position all of your turning bite is concentrated at the very end of the paddle which is now really far away from you.

The GP distributes the force / bite along the entire length of the shaft / blade.

It makes a big difference.

Try using them back to back in the extended position and you’ll agree.

I have used my EP many times in the extended position to turn around rapidly in the surf zone, but it is a lot hard than with the GP, especially if you are stationary.

Matt

Not just anybody can paddle a Nordkapp
well or with confidence :wink:

Incredible that you are 6’3" and 245#
Moparharn and fit an Aquanaut RM LV. Did you have to make any adjustments?

I’m skinny at 150# and had to put minicell near my hip position but the boat is a reasonable fit at my size.

I second all you said about it being a well rounded boat and good in waves.

Well yes, I took a jig saw to the inside
lip of the coaming and removed about 3/8 of an inch just to the sides of my hips. The strip on each side that I removed was about 6 inches long by 3/8 inch. It almost looks like it came that way and makes the boat very comfortable for me. Bouyancy (sp?)is not an issue and I can’t think of a boat that I trust more. I wish it were glass, but I cannot even enter the cockpit of the composite Aquanaut lv. Much smaller coaming, hurts like hell. If I could have only one boat, I suppose it would be this one, which is really funny because I bought it for my wife and daughters to use and for me to abuse in the surf. Now it is my go to boat if I am worried about conditions.

“i want fun!”

– Last Updated: Oct-02-08 4:55 PM EST –

Yup, the more ones skills evolve the more fun one can and desires to have.

My first sea kayak was an Elaho DS becuase it felt lively and responsive. My skills were not up to the boat's capabilites and its weather cocking helped push me towards a less rockered boat (Aquanaut). For a few years the Elaho gathered dust. (Tom Bergh had wisely advised me to keep the Elaho) After working on my skills and getting a Romany, I pulled out the Elaho to see if I should sell it. I discovered that it is a fabulously fun boat! If it didn't weigh so much (bombproof Necky poly)and take on so much water into the compartments when rolling etc..., I would probably paddle it nearly as much as my Romany.

I am assisting in two days of training this weekend. I am bringing my Romany and Elaho DS to be used as schooling boats for those who arrive with less responsive boats.

I'd thought of bringing my Nordkapp LV for myself, but don't yet have the confidence to use it as a rescue platform. So, I'm bringing the Aquanaut...

To me the 'genius' of the Romany, Elaho DS, and like boats as they are reassurring and forgiving boats that are also wonderfully responsive and playful. I love my Nordkapp LV, but while it is also wonderfully responsive while being very quick, it is not forgiving. I hope as my skills and confidence grow, I will feel more at ease in a range of situations in the Nordlow.