Extent of Market Interest

Wood or Plastic – don’t understand
I am not quite sure I understand what post is trying to say – It sounds like he likes wood but considers it no good (wow, that almost rhymes)

datakoll is a charter member of the
Free Association.

It sounds like you are not familiar

– Last Updated: Mar-28-15 6:24 PM EST –

with the activity enough to propose a design let alone provide a marketable product.

if you want to market pretty expensive things I'd suggest spending a few hundred thousand advertising directly to the kind of people who buy $10,000 watches and $5million homes.

Ha!

Not familiar with the activity???
I am curious as to what details that I have posted you are basing this conclusion on??

more or less
if X is effective on all counts then people such as they are giddy watching washers destruct will buy X tho X is terminally destructive.

SHIP WORMS you say ?

go on at length how beeutiul wood is…I collect wood !

but slice wood thin and cover with a sheet of fiberglass/resin then paddle the hull…soon the hull looks what it is.

criticizing my thought processes after gorging on machine destruction videos is a no brainer…on your part which is located…

let us profile !
what are wood hull owners looking like ? Here in abysmal Florida wood hull owners are thin, small boned, wispy haired, four eyed microbus driving weirdos.

yach

Please share your experience
In kayaks that plane, racing, or general use.you said yourself you have “become interested in paddle power”. That does not indicate familiarity in kayaks. Paddles do not have power, people do but it’s not very many watts. Am I correct that you are seeking to market expensive pretty kayaks?

Paddle Power
I am familiar with & have used all kinds of small boats (I don’t consider SUPs and other boards as boats). As a hobby I have been designing and building historically inspired small electric or gas powered craft. I am interested in building some paddle powered craft because I think I have some unique hull design concepts which may enable planing for some significant period of time by an average paddler. My question is whether a classic woodie-style canoe or kayak would sell if it had this kind of hull configuration. My intuition is that the canoe/kayak mkt is bastardized with most buyers wanting the cheapest polyethylene boat available at Wall-Mart while racers want only a race winning design which has proven itself a winner in international competition (designs which which currently tend to look quite ugly) and that these paddlers have no interest in classic deck styles or overall woodie-style appearance –

Build it and find out

yes
paddlers have no interest in classic deck styles or overall woodie-style appearance –

building one for yourself is one deal but selling the concept in the marketplace…

I’m not expert here so tell me is the coke bottle shaped wing hull the last marketplace attempt at a cruising technology advance ? Any lists of such available ? cruising now not racing.

The coke wing is a redo of auto windtunneling.

My ignorant overphew is if the navy hasn’t worked it out then it isn’t

Flight of the Phoenix
On water.

Niche of a niche of a niche
There are probably more people willing to buy $10,000 end tables or $1000 bottles of wine than “wood style” kayaks priced to make a profit. I seriously doubt the target customer would be a paddler.

Coke-Bottle Contours
Datakoll is running the chance here of getting us off the subject of market interest – but he brings up an exciting point. Coke-Bottle concave contours seem to have not just incited discussions but apparently actually add speed. The Kirbati Dimple has shown up mainly in Proas but might work elsewhere. Catamarians have used the idea to add speed via concave curvatures on submerged side when running on a single hull. I think it may essentially be a replay of the hull step on the old hydroplanes which also yielded better speed. – there are other ideas for speed under paddle power and I feel planing might be possible for significant periods. I agree that “try it” is probably going to have to happen but I still want info on mkt interest – Might there be interest in a canoe/kayak that would plane under an average paddler even if it happened to have a class-act look??

Expensive-Pretty Kayaks??
I would like to sell a few “expensive pretty Kayaks” – but perhaps we might think of them as “planing Kayaks which might also tend to look pretty” – So the question might be as follows would “planing by ave paddler” be of more interest than a boat which might appear classic?? It seems to me that it would and buyers might show interest in a “planning design” and perhaps good looks could just add some icing on the cake??

trust me
you build a kayak that can plane for significant periods of time (not surf;plane) under the average persons paddle power, there will be significant interest. I’m picturing myself headed to the river with one on my air car right now.