Eyewear

-- Last Updated: Jun-17-05 8:09 PM EST --

Sat in a kayak for the first time last weekend & feel this will become a passion. So as I sign up for courses I have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer to. I wear glasses....contacts are out of the question - is there any special type of attachment made especially for this sport that will keep "my eyes" from floating away. I have been to 3 sports stores and 2 eyewear stores. Any advice?

THANKS EVERYONE - YOU HAVE GIVEN ME PLENTY OF OPTIONS TO EXPLORE.........HAPPY PADDLING!!!

croakies
work for me… keeps things around the neck anyway.

badjer

Eyewear
You might want to check our a product called “RecSpecs”

They are pretty much bulletproof, though a bit on the expensive side.

They stay on if you suddenly crash, and will not fall apart which some have a tendancy to do.

WalMart optical has them. I have been buying glasses at Wally’s for a few years, and have not found a better deal anywhere.

Frank

Croakies are the universal solution-
You might also get the small short bungie that has clips on both ends for your cap. Clips to the rear of your cap and other clip on your collar. That way you keep your cap in wind gust, and if you dump.West Marine has them. There are several other good ideas-Costa Del Sol, I think, has one that floats your glasses. I use one that floats and wrap once around the cap holder. That way I save glasses, if I dump in clapotis. If you have a d-ring on your vest-it might also work as an anchor point.

I use the
croakies terra floater extreme

Corrective sports goggles are also a
solution, though a bit warm and will fog.

Float em!
If you simply use a standard retainer at some point your glasses will be washed off and will head fro the deep six. Croakies, chums and others make retainers that add flotation - make sure to get a model that fits your glasses’ temples snugly.

Jim

Extra Glasses…
I only wear my old glasses, the ones that have my old prescription in them. I keep my new ones in their case, sealed in a Nalgene bottle that is clipped by a carabiner inside the boat…WHEN I loose the old ones, despite use of a floatation device, I will have a backup pair; but I’ll loose the old ones first…

Remember, because they float does not mean you will find them, (You’ll be near/far sighted without them as you begin searching), and if you loose them in moving water they will travel…

1 Like

If you’re on the water a lot,
your eyes will be assaulted by a lot of UV light, both from the sun and from the reflections–so if possible, get some prescription sunglasses that provide good coverage from above and below. I believe there are several companies making water-sports-specific prescription sunglasses… I seem to remember seeing one called Silverfish.They floated and came with comfortable, removable bands.

Sanjay

Barz is one kind
At Murrays.com (very nice people to deal with). Barz goggles are available with prescription and they come with a ventilated gasket that takes care of the fogging. It may cost you a couple of hundred with polarized prescription lenses, but I think you’ll be happy with them.

Lou

What about glass lens?
I have asked about this in previous posts about glasses with no response – are glass lens (vs. plastic) a potential hazard, especially for anyone doing whitewater? Seems like an investment in some good prescription sport glasses with plastic lens would be high on the list of needs for anyone wearing glasses and doing whitewater.