Facebook: What am I missing?

Ok, so if I’m ever to attempt this again I’d like to be a little more creative and much more realistic looking. Forget just being myself. I’m on a mission now! :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone who so desires can join me in a fun little game. Help me create a list of “names” to choose from that are two words, might pass for a real (probably non-North American), not obvious, but positively “paddling” sounding name. These are similar to the phonetic sounding mondegreens of “Mad Gab” fame. Keep it clean, folks!

I’ll start things off with the ones I’ve come up with so far. More refined versions of these are also welcomed.

1. Powell Latta
  2. Patalors Boques
  3. Torres Orodashin
  4. Forre Wardstroke
  5. Coques Pitt
  6. Reeve Erswiep
  7. Reiz Sqeig
  8. Assah Tique
  9. Sydes Kull
  10. Poh Geeh
  11. Poh Ling

vvv SPOILER ALERT vvv

Translations:

1. Pawlata
  2. Paddler’s box
  3. Torso rotation
  4. Forward stroke
  5. Cockpit
  6. Reverse sweep
  7. Raise Skeg
  8. Assateague (Impex)
  9. Side Scull
  10. Pogie
  11. Polling

@Sparky961
They all sound like comic book characters.

For realism, why not use your middle name and your wife’s maiden name?

@kayamedic Did you get the same Halloween gift we did? Roaring winds, six inches of snow, and power outages?

@Rookie said:

hehe… fair enough, but there is at least one person named “Poh Ling Yeow”. Google her.

Lilly Dipper
Kay Yak
Ford Stroke
Dooble Paddel
John Smith
Carb Fiber
Elvis Persley
Ronald Frump
Clint Hillary

@Sparky961 said:

@Rookie said:

hehe… fair enough, but there is at least one person named “Poh Ling Yeow”. Google her.

You’re spot on. She’s lovely. And a great chef.

BTW, Poh Geeh already has a FB page as does Poh Ling. As does Miss Poppy Coque, a pole dancer. I guess anything goes, so go for it!

Andy’s suggestion of John Smith sounds pretty realistic. :slight_smile:

Coco Tat,
and Miss Teri Iosa,
work for sum,
but not Formosa,

So Taiwan on,
lest you might thanka,
to just Ceylon,
as Sheree L. Anka.

I agree with Kayakmedic on texting AND on Facebook usage. I see communication by writing, as we do with email, texts and FB posts, as a return to the way that we humans exchanged information and socialized with each other for centuries, millennia even.

Sending someone a written note, via text, is MUCH less intrusive than dropping a phone call on them out of the blue. People work, people are often driving a car or are otherwise engaged. I personally don’t like to talk on the phone, never have and likely never will. I am much happier getting texts. And having information from a text gives me a recall-able record of it – my friends and I always make arrangements to meet or attend events via texts, which can be shared among several parties.

Another feature of Facebook that has proven very useful is neighborhood “groups”. I belong to two, one my immediate neighborhood and the other an adjacent one where I used to live and where the commercial district and public park that I still most use are located. There are posts every day by people sharing news about the local goings on, notices about lost or found pets (dozens have been reunited with their owners this way), folks looking for babysitters, referrals for plumbers, suggestions for good restaurants even warnings about crime (there has been a string of car break-ins and thefts of packages from porches in the “other” neighborhood and FB notifications about them are helping the local police track the activity and zero in on culprits) . It’s like the old town square where people used to share news and information. That kind of public interaction has been missing in our culture for a while.

I kind of feel sorry for people who take a curmudgeonly attitude towards what are really simple technologies that help greatly in reconnecting people in our increasingly isolationist world. I’m a Luddite about a lot of things, like still using wooden skiis, driving a stick and preferring wooden kayak paddles. But I embrace the ease with which modern electronic communication methods can keep me readily in touch with the people and communities that are important to me.

We’ve been using FB for a week now to post updates to neighbors of what is blocked by wires and where to get Internet and shelters for warming. And to rejoice together when the power comes on for one or some of us…
If you don’t like FB its no skin off my back. I find it useful. I also find its harshest critics are from those who are non users who make assumptions and judgements with out experience
I have some of those in my family for sure!

If I’m criticizing, it’s because I like the concept but can’t partake on my own terms. I don’t care much for the terms presented to me.

@Sparky961 said:
If I’m criticizing, it’s because I like the concept but can’t partake on my own terms. I don’t care much for the terms presented to me.

Not a lot of options, whether you give Facebook your real name or not.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2017/08/when-it-comes-to-internet-privacy-be-very-afraid-analyst-suggests/

And Congress continues to peel back privacy protections, like the ability to sue companies that don’t protect our data - in the case of Expirian, data we never authorized them to have in the first place.

Speaking of criticism… I have been criticized on Facebook for not sharing anything. My philosophy is to use it as a communication tool and not let it use me.

@Rex said:
Speaking of criticism… I have been criticized on Facebook for not sharing anything. My philosophy is to use it as a communication tool and not let it use me.

My husband stalks too… But I can “unfriend” him if it bugs me too much… He likes to look. For me sometimes its like someone reading my mail… But FB isn’t mail. If I chose to share there its like putting up a billboard. I do like sharing with some groups like State of Maine Photographers. Its like a camera club with members from all over and you don’t have to drive insane distances.

Hey kayamedic, Yeah, when I talk about sharing I’m not talking about writing. I’ll post stuff and comment on friends’ posts quite a bit. What I don’t share is photos; my favorite music; my favorite books; where I went to school; where I work, all those things that Facebook asks you to list but things my real friends already know about me.

@Rex said:
Hey kayamedic, Yeah, when I talk about sharing I’m not talking about writing. I’ll post stuff and comment on friends’ posts quite a bit. What I don’t share is photos; my favorite music; my favorite books; where I went to school; all those things that Facebook asks you to list but things my real friends already know about me.

I use an alias, my birthdate is wrong and I don’t share anything else that FB asks of me. I do post photos of paddling and trips, but nothing of family. FB thinks I’m 89 years old.

I’ve had a FB account since 2006, but have never really used it. Nowadays, forums like this are dying. So, using FB is on my list of things to do, but always tomorrow.

When people still used forums (and I know you guys do, but, face it, we are curmudgeons) we formed an online community. So, when you joined a forum, you joined a community. With Facebook, each user is their own community. You friend somebody, you join their community. I like the old model, but the world has moved on, and there aren’t too many forums like this still standing.

So, I’m definitely gonna use FB. I’ll start tomorrow.

~~Chip

Hey BoozTalkin, FB can be almost identical to a forum. It’s called a group. It’s a ‘by invitation only’ thing only so you really are joining an online community. I belong to a couple of 'em. Thinking about creating one.

Anyone wishing to use fake personal details should do a little research into IP (Internet Protocol) addresses. There is the potential to identify you by your IP address without you realizing what is going on. There are ways to partially circumvent this, but they require a little research or knowledge.
Nick.

Chip I’m trying to find info on poles. On Facebook

So Kayamedic and others get Chip an answer on Facebook for his canoe pole question, but Chip is not friends with some of the people responding, and depending on their security settings, he might not be able to see the post (hope he can, and sent him the answer anyway).

To Chip’s point, Facebook is like a bunch of small communities, all linked in various ways. The tighter your security, the less you can reach out to others. Maybe that is good, maybe not.

He might not see it but the small community of amateur and very amateur sleuths came up with an answer. FB is what you want it to be…