FALL OZARK RENDEZVOUS PICS

Back from our Fall Ozark Rendezvous. So glad I have less than 2 hrs to drive and not all the way back to Utah and Alaska like some of our friends! Lots of wildlife; we saw eagles, minks, otters, turkey, and a duck I’ve seen in MN, but never seen on the river, a Goldeneye. I wish I’d paddled to the other side of the river and got a decent picture. Thought it was a Wood duck hen and figured I have a hundred photos of them? Took a couple long distance shots, blew them up and promptly kicked myself. Of course, the otters only showed glimpses of themselves in low light so I got the assorted otter tails, blurs, and a head that someone could make a plausible appeal that it was Bigfoot or the Lock Ness Monster (LOL)?

It’s always great to see old friends and meet new ones at the Rendezvous’. So many old friends from the past were remembered fondly. Sure missed you, Sloop, the KY Ed family, PJC, Texaslady and UglyOkie, C.M., Guideboatguy and Rena, Kate, Ginny, tssplash, Jarvis, Barb & Danny, et al that I’m forgetting. And our friends whom have left the campfire down here to wait for us Wgiven and Duluth Moose; you were both there in spirit, and Darryl, I paddled a few miles with that beautiful paddle you made for me. Sorry Walt, but I just don’t think I could expose others to my legs in a kilt, even to honor you!
Here’s a link to some pics: http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/fall_ozark_rendezvous_2017&view=slideshow

The link isn’t working, Terry - Firefox can’t find pbase.com …?
Brad

Oh, how I’ve missed all of you! Perhaps I can join you all again next year, along with uglyokie! The photo link worked fine for me, and it made me all nostalgic to see my “family” on the river that brings me such happy memories. I see some new-to-me faces, but it’s been a while since I’ve been along for the ride! Whoever thought that with that first one at the Round Spring Group Campground that such deep & bonding friendships would be formed that have lasted for 15 years (and still counting)?

Jill

that otter is SO CUTE!
I see someone else got a little trailer.
Next year maybe… We were away from home 70 days…and couldn’t leave again.

Yeah, I, too, missed you folks this year… and the river. It doesn’t seem right to be watching the colors change up here without a visit to Pulltite, Medloc, and Welsh springs. Looking at winter without the memories of the campfires and high tea gatherings, and that last nap in the warm sun on the gravel by Sinking Creek. I surely do intend to be there come spring though - with a new hip and trailer.
It is good to see the photos though and to see that Brad finally made it to a fall gathering. Did boyscout show up this year and was that a photo of eyeopener I saw? Brings soooo many fond memories… of Kate and Van and Signalthis and Splash, CM, John Paradise, and lots of others, Lots of good times with good folks on that river.
Thanks for the photos, Terry!
PS: You know, the last two fall gatherings there has been an otter that visited the river right at the Pulltite campground shortly after sunrise most mornings. Did anyone see him/her this year?

It seems more and more of us are joining the bionic sleep off the ground community

@PJC said:
Yeah, I, too, missed you folks this year… and the river. It doesn’t seem right to be watching the colors change up here without a visit to Pulltite, Medloc, and Welsh springs. Looking at winter without the memories of the campfires and high tea gatherings, and that last nap in the warm sun on the gravel by Sinking Creek. I surely do intend to be there come spring though - with a new hip and trailer.
It is good to see the photos though and to see that Brad finally made it to a fall gathering. Did boyscout show up this year and was that a photo of eyeopener I saw? Brings soooo many fond memories… of Kate and Van and Signalthis and Splash, CM, John Paradise, and lots of others, Lots of good times with good folks on that river.
Thanks for the photos, Terry!
PS: You know, the last two fall gatherings there has been an otter that visited the river right at the Pulltite campground shortly after sunrise most mornings. Did anyone see him/her this year?

Heheheh, playing “Phone tag” with you, Pat! Sure missed you at the Rendezvous!

Kim, we’ve not yet joined the “Bionic” community, but yup, we joined the “Sleeping off the ground” community, at least for car camping! Perfect little camper for us.

Not sure why the link isn’t working for you, Brad? Maybe it’s your security settings? I’ll try a link to the album also. I even signed out and it worked for me here?

Jill, who’d a thunk it? But I wouldn’t trade these friendships for a million dollars! Two, uhhhh, nah, not even TWO million (LOL)!

http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/fall_ozark_rendezvous_2017

Those otter pics are great! My friend Steph and I were finishing up a three day float last fall when they decided to put on a show for us. It was late evening and completely still and they’d been no shows until they suddenly exploded from the water, swam under our canoe and proceeded to bump rapidly and repeatedly against the bottom of the boat. I was too mesmerized to take pics. They are really characters.

I wish I could have been there. I haven’t been to a Fall Rendezvous in a pretty long time. As to the “cute otter”, I’ll be the one to burst that bubble and point out that it’s a mink (Terry knows that). Still, mink are extremely fun to watch even if they don’t behave the same as otters.

Terry, I think goldeneyes are one of the more common species that overwinter on the Wisconsin River on the first couple of miles below the Sauk dam. I’d have to check, but ages ago I got a picture of one in flight on the absolute coldest winter day that I have ever been outside. It was so cold that one of the wheel bearings of my car made horrible noises for the first couple of blocks of driving as I left for the river before dawn, and that had never happened before or since. I was trying to get pictures of eagles, from a portable photo blind that I had built just for that purpose (and I brought a heater for the blind!), and a lone duck of a very common type came screaming by and I managed to snap its picture - and I seem to recall deciding later that it must have been a goldeneye.

Right of course! Still very entertaining although I guess other area critters would disagree.

@Deuce said:
Right of course! Still very entertaining although I guess other area critters would disagree.

Sure would be nice to paddle with you again. Don’t remember if I told you, but ran into some AR Canoe members a few weeks ago. “Your” Bob is a nice guy and quite a character like “OUR” “Bob!” I did raise the ire of the female paddling in the bow of that black gold Bell Canadienne, though. I saw they seemed to be high centered on rock, so I eddied out above to give them space and see if they would need help. She heatedly yelled a couple of times for me to hurry up and get out of their way or something to that effect. I promptly got back in my boat and paddled on down. Kept my tongue, though it was with some difficulty!

LOL. I have no idea who that might have been but you’ve certainly piqued my curiosity. I’ll have to ask Chicago Bob about it. The plan for the 27th-29th is still in development but it appears the Buff and Eleven Point are both off the table, the former due to a lack of water and the latter due to a lack of adequate camping space for our group. That leaves the ol’ reliable Current. We will be on the water on Friday the 27th so maybe you’ll be able to work something out. I will definitely keep you and Pete posted. Amber and I will also most likely spend a few days on the EP the first weekend of November.

Finally got my photos of the Rendezvous up on pbase. Here’s the link : http://www.pbase.com/canoevic/fall_rendezvous_2017_current_river&page=all

We appreciate Terry & Vic posting quality photos of some Rendezvous paddlers, and river scenery. Good work guys!

BOB & JA

@thebob.com said:
We appreciate Terry & Vic posting quality photos of some Rendezvous paddlers, and river scenery. Good work guys!

BOB & JA

Thanks my friend!

That is a beautiful spot.

Hope Brad made it back through the Yukon before the weather got too bad?

enjoyed the pics- maybe next year I’ll roll in for a weekend of it

You should come, Tony. I think you would enjoy the event. If you came in the spring, possibly the St Francis (a nice Class II-III run) would be running. It is not too far away from the Current, Jacks Fork, and North Fork of the White River where we have usually had the spring Rendezvous.

Sorry it took me so long to get my pics up. Better late than never. Can’t wait to see you all in the spring.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xz7kGK4MwhxH1rN02