Fall Ozark Rendezvous???

We are now three months from the time we have generally had the Fall Ozark Rendezvous, the third full weekend of October and whatever portion of the week preceding one chose to attend. If we have one, I assume it will be at Pulltite Campground on the Current River, in Missouri.

I am retired so I can make a decision to go or not on short notice. Others have to apply for vacation days well in advance, or have other constraints. But there have nearly always been other things going on in the spring and fall that coincided with the time of the rendezvous that I was interested in, but passed up to attend. There is another such event this fall, so I will need to decide within the next 6-8 weeks what I am going to do.

This past spring rendezvous was not particularly well-attended. I am fully aware that a number of individuals had medical issues or family events that precluded their attendance. A lousy weather forecast also played a role. But a few of us who have attended pretty regularly have begun to wonder it the Ozark Rendezvous has not perhaps run its course and is fading into history.

I hope that is not the case, but I started this thread now to try to gauge just what level of interest there is in continuing this gathering. I understand there arenā€™t any guarantees in life. but I would be grateful if anyone who is definitely planning to come would indicate that in this thread. I would also welcome any suggestions any may have for stimulating interest among newcomers in this get together.

Well Pete, Iā€™m sure willing to keep going assuming I can trust my leg to get me and my boat to and from the water (I broke my tibia and shattered my fibula shortly after Canoecopia this year. I was forbidden by my doctor to climb the 30 steps to my first floor - where lives my computer. I therefore couldnā€™t really inform many folks - just TheBob, which is often enough to get the word out :wink: ). The Ozark 'vous has been a long and glorious tradition and Iā€™ve met many of the nicest folks Iā€™ve ever known on these trips. It would be a shame to see it pass into Pnet history. Thereā€™s just something wrong with this many paddlers conversing online for this many years and not at least getting together to actually paddle and camp together once in a while.

At this time, we canā€™t commit to ā€œbeing thereā€.

As time has passed; Iā€™ve seen ā€œthe qroupā€ splintering.
For lack of a better term I call the splinterā€™s cliques .
These include but are not limited to the rent cabins clique, the trailering clique, the eat in town every night clique, the sightseeing/photo taking as to actually paddling cliques, and the camp out & cook your own meals cliques, Suggested dates for attendance are basically ignored, as are put on the river times. The last few miles in trips usually end in a mad dash for the finish line, so to speak. Load gear, quick shower, change of clothes, and head for a restaurant in town.

Everyone seems to be in a ā€œdo your own thingā€ mode.
Thatā€™s all well & good, but it certainly does little to promote any sense of groupness, or camaraderie, ā€œin my opinionā€.
I personally feel a sense of futility about the whole thing.
Nope ! I wonā€™t let the door hit me in the ass on the way out.

BOb & JoAnne

I am in the lets see how many joints you can replace cliqueā€¦ As I have a hip replacement on Aug 19 its doubtful I will want to travel 3000 miles round trip so soon after surgery.

Deb and I were first timers at the spring rendezvous. We certainly enjoyed meeting everyone and felt welcomed. I would encourage anyone considering going to attend. Yes, the weather wasnā€™t favorable unless you like flood stage rivers, but thatā€™s what happens when Mother Nature is in charge. The one day we did get on the water was wonderful. Visiting the waterfalls and seeking out the other attractions later on was well worth while.
We wonā€™t be able to attend this fall as I need to make my pilgrimage to NY to visit relatives. I sure hope to join in again though.

I was waiting before starting a thread, myself as Iā€™ve had my share of medical issues the past few years. Two days ago I was scheduled for open heart surgery to replace two heart valves. One of my first questions was ā€œWhen will I be allowed to paddle again?ā€ the answer was a minimum of 12 weeks, putting me outside the window. If possible, we WILL be there Thur-Sun if not to paddle, to camp, shuttle, see old friends. So, God willing, count me in to be there!

The THIRD week in October is just a bit too late for me to make the trip from Alaska and get back home before the first of November (I did make it down in 2017 when the Rendezvous was held the SECOND week!). While I have graduated from tent to trailer (that Fall Rendezvous was my last time sleeping on the ground), I think Bobā€™s clique descriptions are too narrowly defining - there appear to be other issues he did not address. I plan to continue making the long drive from Alaska to the Ozarks for the Spring Rendezvous as long as I am physically able to do so, assuming that it will likewise continue. (This yearā€™s journey racked up 15,500 round trip miles, consumed 1000 gallons of fuel, and collected one rusty nail in a tire.)
Brad

@AK_Brad said:
The THIRD week in October is just a bit too late for me to make the trip from Alaska and get back home before the first of November (I did make it down in 2017 when the Rendezvous was held the SECOND week!). While I have graduated from tent to trailer (that Fall Rendezvous was my last time sleeping on the ground), I think Bobā€™s clique descriptions are too narrowly defining - there appear to be other issues he did not address. I plan to continue making the long drive from Alaska to the Ozarks for the Spring Rendezvous as long as I am physically able to do so, assuming that it will likewise continue. (This yearā€™s journey racked up 15,500 round trip miles, consumed 1000 gallons of fuel, and collected one rusty nail in a tire.)
Brad

Been meaning to call you, Brad, but lifeā€™s been a whirlwind and canā€™t remember. I will soon, buddy!

Bob, I have heard a somewhat similar comment from a not-to-be-named former rendezvous regular who has not come for some time now, who bemoaned the lesser degree of group comradery as the years went by, so maybe that has been a factor for some.

As for people choosing to bring camping trailers or rent cabins, I think that is an inevitable consequence of many of the regular participants getting older. I did stay in a cabin near Ozark campground this spring, because my wife would otherwise not have come. But staying in a cabin away from the campground, even though it was close, was not ideal and not of my choosing. Mary has announced that she will no longer consider attending unless we can stay in a cabin, so that means no Pulltite campground. Twin Bridges on the North Fork might be an option, but otherwise if I attend, Mary wonā€™t be coming, and that means I will have to drive fairly long distances by myself. I have done this frequently in the past, but I am getting less willing to do so as the years pass.

As for staying together on the river, or where people choose to eat, whether they paddle on one particular day or not, or dates they are able to attend or want to attend, I suspect that more people would feel too constrained and rebel at any uniformity than would embrace it. I have had to adapt my pace on the river considerably to that of the group, generally paddling considerably more slowly, and making more and longer stops than I would on my own. But if I am ahead and come to what I think might pose a hazard for some, I have always stopped until at least most, if not all of the group has gotten to it, and I try to stay with the group until at least the last rest/lunch stop which usually takes place on the last third or so of the trip. At that point, on an easy river I have often stretched out a bit and paddled at a somewhat faster pace, although hardly what I would call a mad dash. I need the exercise.

But I do sort of miss the old days when we had a pretty substantial gathering that camped close together, group potluck, etc.

Pat, and Brad, as you know from prior conversations, I too would like to see the rendezvous continue, which was a large part of my motivation for starting this thread. At this stage of my life, I do not encounter too many other paddlers or meet new and younger people who I think might be interested in attending. I do belong to a small paddling club, getting smaller and older every day, and I have mentioned the Ozark Rendezvous to them many times, but as yet not one has chosen to attend. They are primarily interested in whitewater (although they do much more talking about whitewater than actually paddling these days) and they generally eschew paddling ā€˜flat waterā€™.

I have paddled a bit with a local adventure club, and did recruit one individual from nearby to attend the Ozark Rendezvous on two occasions including this spring. But because of the weather, Don was only able to paddle one day, hardly worth a trip all the way to the Buffalo River.

I am pretty much out of the loop when it comes to recruiting any new participants. If you have any ideas on how to do so through the internet, I would welcome them.

Kim, I have had hip replacement surgery but not knee replacement. From everything I have heard, the recovery following hip replacement is much faster than for knee replacement. But based on my own experience, I suspect you are correct. I know that my new hip would not have tolerated sitting that long in a vehicle within two months of surgery.

Tom and Deb, It was good to meet you both and paddle with you. Hopefully we can do so again some day, if not at the Ozark Rendezvous then elsewhere.

Iā€™m sorry that events conspired to only allow you to paddle the one day, but Iā€™m glad you made the effort to come. The other rivers that we have usually had the Ozark Rendezvous at (Current River, North Fork of the White River) are considerably less likely to be closed due to high water.

Terry, best of luck with your upcoming surgery. If you and Margaret are able to attend and plan to do so, please let me know as October draws near as it may very well determine what I decide to do.

@AK_Brad said:
Brad

You forgot about the broken mirror.

@pblanc said:
Terry, best of luck with your upcoming surgery. If you and Margaret are able to attend and plan to do so, please let me know as October draws near as it may very well determine what I decide to do.

Thanks, and I certainly will keep you informed, Pete! As for cabins/rooms, Echo Bluff State Park is only minutes away. We both enjoy Maryā€™s company very much and I know how important a co-pilot and dog wrangler is on long trips (LOL)!
https://echobluffstatepark.com/accommodations/

@pblanc said:
Kim, I have had hip replacement surgery but not knee replacement. From everything I have heard, the recovery following hip replacement is much faster than for knee replacement. But based on my own experience, I suspect you are correct. I know that my new hip would not have tolerated sitting that long in a vehicle within two months of surgery.

I was aware of thatā€¦ You may not be aware I have been watching youā€¦ And admiring you. I will miss you all including the Bobā€¦ I still remember when he and J had no sleeping bags at Twin Bridges and for some inexplainable reason we had brought two extra 1500 milesā€¦ I even forgive him for being in my way on the river when I did a ram out ( was supposed to be a peel out) which resulted in a 20 minute fishing expedition for my camera ( waterproof but failed to swim)
So many good memoriesā€¦ I think you even forgave me couscous.

Only in the past couple of years have I attended the Rendezvous, but always in the Spring as the Fall seems to be filled with other conflicts.

However, this year in late Sept and early October Iā€™ll be traveling on a western trip and as I head home to NC stopping in the Missouri Ozarks for some camping/cabins/paddling sounds like a nice way to break up a long drive home. My expected time frame for being in Missouri could be beginning the weekend of Oct 12. So Iā€™ll be watching this thread to see if the event forms critical mass.

If it is only you Pete, make sure you bring a reliable car for shuttle[GRIN]

Kim,

We definitely remember setting up camp at the Northfork, and realizing we had neglected to bring sleeping bags.
Felt really dumb; especially since weather at night was fairly cool. Your assistance was much appreciated.
That loan got you some good karmaā€¦

When you rammed me, and my Whitesell battlewagon, and ā€œsank like a rockā€, do you remember who found your camera?
It was me, and the good karma youā€™d earned from loaning those sleeping bags paid offā€¦
Funny how karma works!

Hope medical issues turn our for best.

BOB

I agree with Pete that the group seems to be getting smaller but I also understand that the group is getting older and people have health issues, life issues, etc. Rob and I are some of the youngest along with Boyscout and would hate for it to end as most of our boater friends are doing whitewater, which Rob and I do but we still enjoy ā€œnonā€ whitewater. Rob and I do plenty of trips by ourselves but we still enjoy paddling with other folks. I donā€™t really care where people sleep or eat, of course I think itā€™s more fun when we are all together. Potluck turned into ā€œHigh Teaā€ as it was hard for people coming from afar to bring food for a potluck. Unfortunately October is a difficult month for Rob to get off work but he usually can be there at least Friday-Sunday, he has been lucky the last couple of Fall Rendezvous and has been able to use his ā€œbirthdayā€ holiday on that Thursday but he has a new boss so unsure if that will happen this year. Because I am one of those that do have to put in vacation I already did for what would be the normal Rendezvous, which would be October 16-20, those are the dates I plan on being there unless there is a consensus to change those dates, if the dates change I may or may not be there as I put in most of my vacation in January for the year, when you work for a small company (only 7 of us) you have to plan quickly before someone else wants the week you want. Iā€™ll continue to watch this thread and see if anything changes.

We look forward to being there. When ever, where ever, and with who ever will be there. Our only complaint is that is just twice a year.

Tom and laurel.