Fast boat choice

OI cockpit
It’s a neat boat, but it is a long reach to the thigh braces for me at 5’4". Like I don’t start to get there, because the cockpit is so long. At 5’8" she may not be way better off.

Also, if racing is her thing, there are forward stroke folks out htere who would go thumbs down on the OI because the very low deck height won’t allow the legs to be lifted enough for an optimally effective position. Look at the Rockpool designs and you’ll see what these folks may like better - a narrow cockpit but a bit on the high side up front compared to the jean-tight Greenland boats.

Personally, I just spent two days in a remarkably comfortable kayak seat and setup that gave me more lift under the thighs, and found that I am still more comfortable and less slouching at the end of the day with my legs a little flatter. But I must have a combination of tight and loose muscles and tendons that aren’t common - most folks find that the more elevated racing knee is best on a long paddle.

Thanks everyone!
I hadn’t given much thought to the Q-tips (QCC) and Epic boats but will check them out along with at least one or two others mentioned. Its just great to be able to save time/effort by getting this input.

Thanks again.

Scott

and if you live near most of us
we are always glad to let you try before you buy. its hard to get to the symposia/swap meets etc.

OK all around
At her weight it will be fast enough to be respectable among typical sea kayaks.

Racing it would be lumped in with sea kayaks, and not in league of many, but usually fewer women racing so who knows? Kim managed a 3rd in Bacall in a Pintail with very little paddling experience. SH is quite a bit faster than a Pintail.

If she wants real speed though: Nemo.

SH is plenty stable and well mannered. To be a real smaller persons/womens boat is needs to loose 2" of beam. Most women would still have enough primary.

May weather cock for her a bit if wind picks up - no big deal casual paddling - but no skeg could limit suitability for trips/offshore.

Cockpit size is weird too (like BBK). Some form of stiff padded masik to stick in and make it more like a real OC is hand for overall control and rolling.

She’d absolutely LOVE the weight and it will spoil her for anything but SOF, race boats and skis as far as carrying goes.

You know you just want it for yourself though…