Fast Kayak Suggestions Please

toot toot
I’ve never paddled the expedition but I have paddled the Extreme(though I’ve never owned one). I thought the Extreme was very stable, a dry ride and would be a great expedition boat(seems like it would carry alot). The fit and finish was great, I didn’t like the push pull rudder peddle setup. I didn’t think it accelerated as fast as my Looksha 3 or Epic and it was not as fast. I know someone out there, if they could find my address, would come and shoot me for saying this. I’ve paddled the W.S. Cape Horn 17 alot and thought these two boats to be more comparable…the Extreme was faster, but thats what I thought. My head is down so let the rocks fly!

From a fat guy, driving a desk in FL…
it sounds like we have much in common. I am in West Palm Beach, where are you?

Seriously, why a recumbent?
Please don’t take offense at the question, but as a cyclist for many years, I for the life of me cannot find one thing to like about recumbents.

I tried one, a Gold Rush (is that right?) and the whole riding position is just absolutely awful. I found the handling to be poor, the very low center of gravity makes them inherently unstable, the thing bounced like a pogo stick when I pedaled it quickly. There is no way to bunny hop over obstacles. Motorists can’t see you well on a 'bent. The dealer was trying to sell me on it, made sure it fit properly and all that.

To each their own I guess. Not for me.

Regards,

Bill

I’ve Heard Several Reasons
I have an acquaintance who bought one to take pressure off his hands. Carpal tunnel problems. I understand some people with back problems can get comfortable on ‘bents’ but not on regular bikes.

Ft L
I’m in Ft Lauderdale, and since (I’m lazy, and) my tiny apt is right on a tiny canal that goes to New River and to ICW, Port Everglades, and beyond - I mostly paddle out of home base (why I took the tiny apartment!). From there I have gone as far North as Hillsboro Inlet and as far South as N. Miami (round trips) so far.

Also go out of Oleta park in N. Miami sometimes, less often farther south on the Bicayne Bay, and a few times from Key Largo (B&B events mostly).

Haven’t paddled anywhere North expect some demos up in Daytona.

Where do you go up around WPB? Paddling a Millenium, right? Looks to be a nice boat. Tried a Viv once and liked it.

Wing Paddles
The USCA has no restrictions on paddles in any of it’s kayak classes, the only two races I know of that restrict wing paddles from recreational or sea kayak classes are the Run of the Charles and the Blackburn Challenge.