Fast Solo Boat

Okay, this has probably been discussed in the past, but I’m in the market now, so I’d like some opinions.

I’m 6’2", 230 Lbs and I’m looking for a solo canoe that I can race, and cover a lot of water on week long trips on big lakes and rivers. Not afraid of a tippy boat, but want the ability to handle the waves I may encounter on those lakes.

Frontrunner right now is a Wenonah Voyager with a Cover.

Fire away and thanks for your thoughts.

Dave

Voyager may get you bounced
Voyager is to long for the stock boat class and to narrow for the racing class at most races in the states. Do not have any knowledge of whats the deal in Germany. Would fit the bill for the other uses you are looking for though.

Consider the Wenonah Advantage
and Bell Magic.A little shorter, more rocker, easier to turn.The Voyager is a very good boat, but can be a dog in a side wind, even with a cover.

Would seem to be a crap shoot until you
tell us the specs your racing canoe must meet to legally compete. You said “race”. Are you racing in in sancioned races or does “race” just mean you want to race, as in “go fast” up and down the waters?

:^)

Mick

If I had your boat last Saturday
instead of my daughters little Sandpiper I would have at least gotten a second instead of third.

Of course you would be doing some epoxy work on the hull this week too.

cheers,

JackL

Recreational Racing
I was hoping to be involved in some recreational racing when I move back to the states. I guess I figured that there was a class that the voyager could fit into, and wasn’t worried about the specs.

I have to do some further research. Where do I start?

Dave

You are going to be disappointed…
If you try to find the fastest boat for racing in the “rec class”, since no two races have the same rules for them.

A lot of them go by length, such as they have to be 17 feet and under and a lot others go by weight such as over 40 or 50 pounds.

My suggestion is to get a 17 foot canoe made out of kevlar, but make sure it has a gelcoat colored coat on it.

I know this is going to sound odd, but we were signing up for a race once where it was the directors decision as to what class each boat went in.

We have a 17 foot kevlar Jensen with no gelcoat.

He put us in the racing class. There was an exact duplicate, but it had a red gelcoat, and he put them in the rec class.

You almost have to have a fleet of boats when you start reading the different rules for the different recreation races.

Cheers,

JackL

Paddle them all , buy the one that
feels best, and let someone else worry about what class it fits in.

Unlimited
The Voyager would fit with many “unlimited” classes offered in some races I think. I like mine a whole bunch and you’re a good size for it. String is right about a side wind, but you can learn to deal with it (it slows me down a bit, but I can keep it tracking to a reasonable extent without too much extra effort).

I would try the Advantage too though, they’re sweet. Might also want to look around for a Sawyer Shockwave to try.

Rules Vary
As Jack said rules may vary. Depends on what part of the country you are going to be in. The USCA is the governing body of flat water racing. They do not have a official REC or even STOCK C1 class, although some races may offer it. NY state does have an official STOCK C1 class, but again the Voyager is not allowed in the STOCK class.They have a list of boats they allow on their web page. Texas seems to have an unlimited class that allows some real radical boats.

Go to The New England Canoe and Kayak Racing Assocations web page http://www.necanoe.org to get a lot of info and links having to do with racing.

If it were me I would look at the list of boats The New York Canoe Racing Assocation allow as STOCK boats and look at one of them. Then if you want to race you can run it in the racing class, you may get beat by faster boats , but its a good way to get started. Then if you like it you can go look for a full bore race boat, and you will still have a great tripping boat. You find the NY site from a link off the New England site.

Have been doing a little internet …
research. Has anyone out there paddled a Grasse River Classic XL, and do you think it’ll fit what I’m looking for?

Thanks for all the input,

Dave

I Just Found
a well-used Classic XL (last weekend). I’ve only got a little over 40 miles in it, but I’m all smiles so far. I’m 6’-0 and 200 lbs. The boat is relatively fast (within the limits of the motor) and much more stable than I had been lead to expect. Tracks at least as well as the Magic, and turns nearly as well. Behaves very well in the wind, although I’ve not seen anything over 20mph gusts in it yet. I’ve not loaded it up yet, but I can’t imagine that another 50 lbs or so would cause a prob. I’m really happy with it so far, but I’m not a racer, so YMMV.

Pete in Atlanta

Pete, is ther no end to the boat mania?
You have a harem, so to speak. How do you decide what to paddle?

Geez, I Hope Not!
And you’re up to how many now?

I just can’t pass up a bargain…

I only have one kayak and 3 canoes,
and one in progress. And am almost out of real estate.

How’s the Classic XL?
Any further impressions of the Classic XL? With the input here and some research, I’m now thinking either the XL or an Advnatage. I know everyone says demo, but that will be difficult at best even when I return to North Carolina. Not too many shops carry these type of boats there.

Teh top
of My list is the Classic XL. I have paddled it in demos at the General Clinton. There is one area up stream where the river runs together after an Island above the Fairgrounds in Bainbridge. The current makes an interesting roil that wants to roll you if you hit it wrong(at least that year with that water level) The Classic handled it well. the first time I paddled one I was about 200 pounds and it handled great.

My preferences if/when I get the money is an XL. Probobly the next fastest and most available go fast boat is the Advantage( a very good boat but just a “tad” slower.) then the Otegan, shockwave and then the Bell Magic.

Demo
If you pass thru Atlanta on your way to NC, e-mail me in advance and I’d be happy to let you demo the XL.

Pete in Atlanta

Yeah, Real Estate
The limiting factor.

And money. Real estate and money.

And spousal approval. Real estate and money and spousal approval.

I was going somewhere with this but I can’t remember where…