Fast touring yaks

Seaward Quest

– Last Updated: Jan-08-04 2:52 AM EST –

Good suggestions for alternatives. I checked this thread to see if anyone mentioned the quest. I'm very happy with mine all around and the construction is top notch.

Dirt clod vs tennis ball

– Last Updated: Jan-08-04 3:29 AM EST –

Kwikle,
I have to disagree with you a bit on your CD construction -being-too-light-point.

The boats you mentioned are all wonderful designs but I have seen enough of some of them to form the opinion that all that weight is not always coming from extra reinforcement per say.
Mass and momentum will still not win against a rock.
Better to yield and deflect IMO.
Boats can be built light and strong. It's all that extraneous material sitting where it is not needed causing some of these overly isotropic boats to weigh TOO much.
While I do not really like the heavy roving CD uses....they DO do a great job with it and I can say from experience it is supertough. Enough for ROBDIVE to use in his location for sure.

Some of the other designs could lighten up and offer a heavier lay up as an option rather than chargeing 800.00 more for less.

Sorry ROBDIVE for tangenting.....

Hey

– Last Updated: Jan-08-04 7:22 AM EST –

I fit in my QCC fine, and I am 6'3" 240. and have MT-Bike Thighs. I did order mine with out the Thigh braces. workd great for me with out them, matter of fact i dislake All key hole cockpits. They are for skinny folks with skinny leggs!!

Thanks
Just wanna say thanks for all the great info and noteworthy points. It’ll be nice to make a better informed decision. Real swell community here. Please add more if more comes to mind.

DavidN - Argonaut
is probably designed/sized for you, if you find the Aquanaut too tight.

Yep, paddled it.
I didn’t like it as much as the Aquanaut. Too much volumn when empty. Probably a great tripping boat, but I paddle mostly day trips unfortunately. I really liked the Legend I test paddled, just not enough more than my current boat. The majority of my paddling is flat water work out paddling and the Legend is better suited for bumpy water. I just haven’t been able to convince my wife that no one kayak can do it all and that I NEED 3 or 4!

other options

– Last Updated: Jan-09-04 2:34 PM EST –

Regarding alternatives, specifically NDK, I saw the Explorer HV noted but not the Greenlander Pro. Should it be or is this an old design? I'm just asking.

Fast touring yaks
Hey Greyak -just wondering if you tested the 700 in open ocean-a prior reply mentioned that

he didn’t feel that the 700 is a solid bomber as a full sea kayak. The extreme obviously has more rocker giving it i suppose better handling in the rough. If the swell gets big, and i know its best not to be out in such conditions i’d like to know that ur craft is very capable. Any comments?

for some $$$
if you are buying new bulkheads can be glassed in for you. or you can glass 'em in yourself

Btw I feel that all boats are compromises, and the standard CD layup is OK but not as good if you live in granity places like Maine

fast touring boats. Too bad…
…your mind is made up without trying Prijon’s

Barracuda.

One terrific boat.

Amen on the Barracuda
It remains the fastest sea kayak I’ve paddled. It never seems to hit the wall before I do. I waffled on buying it for awhile, then bought its more nimble little brother, the Catalina.

interesting
i hadn’t heard of the barracuda. looks like it could be a very fast plastic boat. certainly something to keep in mind if you paddle a lot in rocky areas or want to spend less than for a high end composite.

af

I’m sure it’s a good boat,…
and cruises well, but can’t help wondering what do you guys consider “fast”.

There is of course a differnce between fast touring and all out racing, but as race distances increase so does the similarity. So what do you all consider “fast touring”? Waht maintainabel speed over what distance? The answer to this sort of sets how much extra LWL is useful, and how much is just extra kayak.