fastest kayak 12-14 foot

Let me throw another one out there.
Tsunam 145. 14’5" made for the larger paddler. Its beamy 26" I think. I am 5’10" and about 200# I can paddle it within .2 (point 2) mph of my carbonlite Nighthawk (16’ 22" beam). I believe that the biggest reason for this is that I can not yet approach the speed (excpet in a short sprint) at which the Nighthawk will perform significantly faster. While I don’t know the math well enough to quote it, I do understand the physics as the apply to real life situations. I think that if you get a boat that you feel comfortable in, that gives you a good fit, and then concentrate on your form you will then have the boat that is fastest for you. And you are the one that matters when making that distinction. Someone else might be faster in another boat, but that doesnt matter. You are the engine so think of the boat as the gearing. Different engines have different spots in the rpm range that produce the most torque (you will hear people speak of the “powerband”) and gearing is figured so that you can use that range to your advantage. If you think of yourself and the boat in this regard and then go out and make that match, I think you will be happy.

Ed

WS Shaman
12.5 foot Wilderness Systems Shaman. Now only available used.

fast kayaks
I keep up with my husbands 16.5 ft Tracer no problem in my 13.5 Tampico. He is stronger but my stroke is cleaner! My brother has the Tampico L and he also keeps up with anyone in their 17 foot kayaks on our day trips. So check out the Hurricanes since the Trylon is faster than the roto molded material. It’s harder and slicker.

Amenities
should be your concern. Not the cup holders and compass recess but hatches, bulkheads, seats vs backbands, thigh pads, rigging etc.

How well you fit into a particular boat should be on top of the list, from someone with very big feet.

Just my humble opinion.

As usual, Celia…
…makes an outstanding point.

Defining Fast
I have a Dagger Cortez 16.5’x22" and a Dagger Savanna 14.5’x25". Yes, I can make the longer boat go faster… a little bit. When another paddler of similar physical condition, but with not as refined a foreward stroke as mine, paddles the Cortez and I the Savannah; he gets beat! So as previous answers have indicated “it’s the engine”, and “it’s the technique”. Worry less about the length and more about your technique and conditioning.

When I enter THE race (Peaks to Prairie, Montana = 22 miles on the Yellowstone River) I favor the longer boat, but I’ll bet there wouldn’t be 5 minutes difference over a 2.5+ hour time span. So the question is “Why do you want to go fast?? and how fast???” If it is for points, medals and money… then get a 22 pound, narrow race rocket. Otherwise relax.

George in Cody

going fast
As I approach the halfway point of my 55th year on this planet there are more and more things that I understand.

I understand, for instance, why those in need of an adrenaline rush do whitewater, skydive, or bungy jump.

I understand off-road vehicle drivers and jet ski operators behave as they do as driving a motorized vehicle is boring and they feel a need to show off – even taking turns in an orderly manner, much like kids on skateboards.

I understand teenagers destroy the porcelain fixtures in bathrooms for the incredible – but short – power rush one gets from the disintegrating porcelain.

I even understand that paddling and bicycling can be solitary sports that people who are socially dysfunctional find attractive (I just wish they would refrain from posting their contentious, defensive and otherwise disagreeable posts on this board and leave the reality-based community alone).

I even understand why people litter, but sadly, have no solution – just an understanding.

What I do not understand is this oft-stated need for speed in a paddling boat.

Is it ego? competition? pride? or what?

Needs / perspective
The original poster hasn’t commented upon why he wanted at fast boat, so I’ll give mine :slight_smile:

Fast is relative. I am not a fast engine, never have been, never will - too short, no fast twitch muscle fibers, just slow and steady. To compensate, I would prefer a fast, more efficient boat so that I could participate in group outings. For instance, our local club is going on a river trip. If I took my son (who isn’t able to paddle much) on our nice comfy 160T, I would not be able to keep up. Another group goes out whale watching and without an appropriately fast sea kayak, I would be left alone.

The faster hull
will not make you faster! Classic mis-information. You have already aknowledged that you are not a strong paddler. Therefore in “reality” you are probably never going to exceed 4 knots, if that, which is fine. So, why push more boat than you can drive/power? Why fight more windage, drag, etc?

Test what I’m saying. Impex Mystic for example is a sleek 14 ft. relatively narrow kayak that smaller, less powerful paddlers do very well in. They go “faster” in it because it’s a better match for their engine. They “NET” better overall speeds. Experienced guides know this, and would never put someone like yourself in an 18 ft. boat for example.

George Gronseth, Matt and Cam Broze, Winters, Barton etc… all have written excellent material on this, and Sea Kayaker has lots of data accordingly. Now clearly a sleek 17 ft. kayak will be more efficient than a fat short rec boat, but for you width, and drag profile are more important than length.

It’s funny how we intuitively won’t give a smaller paddler a huge spooned paddle, yet we’ll stuff em in the equivalent in boats. Why?

To go your fastest would mean finding a kayak that minimizes drag, windage, at your power range. Start with the paddler and find the boat that matches him or her for maximun performance. Mariner Coaster is another example of a superb little 13 ft. boat that smaller paddlers excel in. When Gronseth needs a weaker paddle to keep up he puts them in a Coater or Mystic, and they do better.

Some will never want to understand this, and that’s OK. They are just limiting themselves in terms of what’s technically best in favour of what may be emotionally best.

perception cadence
Neat boat and about 24in wide

At The End Of The Day…
somtimes the paddler just want to say that s/he has the “fastest” kayak in a particular class… Even if the “engine” is not up to par. Most folks don’t paddle to the “redline” anyway to find out. But, the paddler can still say that s/he has the “fastest” kayak.

Makes sense? Right…

sing

fastness
For me the only reason to fish for a fast kayak would be touring efficiency-covering lots of miles at decent pace IS easier in something that’s meant to GO.

But honestly, i’ve played around with a GPS and tried anything from my river runner that PLOWS water like a steamroller to a 20 ft long x20inch wide carbon(or kevlar?) Looksha II touring racer and honestly, the Looksha doesn’t feel much faster at touring pace than my everyday boat,the Elaho. for the same effort in(by the seat of the pants) feels like the LII may be .2 mph faster at cruising speeds. when you crank on it the difference really starts to show, i think i topped off at 8 mph in the LII and just under 7 in the elaho,with the same paddle.

Long as it’s not a bathtub rec boat/sit on top/whitewater boat,there isn’t a night and day difference at cruising/touring pace.

size matters
Salty, I’m not sure if you were responding to my post or not. But I wrote about “efficient” and “appropriate”, not length. And the point was intended to be reason / need to consider speed, that is if I want to keep pace with a group in seakayaks, a rec tandem would not be “fast”.

If we look at the data
we see that the ELAHO takes LESS EFFORT at 4 knots than the Looksha II, a known fast boat! Prime example of what I’m saying. The Looksha II is probably not an appropriate boat for you, and you will go no faster in it, as you’ve discovered. Congrats on being open to what the data is showing you…you’re absolutely correct.

Raymondmom…I get it, thanks. Hopefully you’ll understand what I’m saying. I take the time here on this site not to push certain boats, but to share 20+ years in the trade as a paid tester, consultant, guide, instructor. That’s all. I think folk should paddle what makes em happy and I’ve said that repeatedly. I just hope they are informed and make a decision based on facts vs emotion. Good night ya’ll and safe paddling.

Looksha II
Sounds like it may be good for you. Re-read your post and you can obviously push it, but you are correct that at 4 knots or below the Elaho is more efficient.

RE
Thanks for all the useful suggestions everyone provided. I already have a few slow fun boats - looking for something faster. This will help. Kim

RE
Thanks for all the useful suggestions everyone provided. I already have a few slow fun boats - looking for something faster. This will help. Kim

Tampico 135S is fast, provided

If you can fit in a TampicoS, if you are not near top weight for it, & your form is very good, you will be rewarded w. welltracking speed in a kayak under 14 ft. Foredeck is clean and low and she sits low in the water. Easier to maintain a clean stroke as “knuckle banging” is minimal or absent. I have a midangle stroke and never bang my knuckles.

Have paddled mine at a tour pace with a few of the 16-17 footers & easily held my own. I have been paddling two months as of last weekend.

I give max respect to the concept of paddler as engine and the science of beam and wetted hull. Others are far more savvy than me on that equation.

The kayak alone is not the answer or the sole factor. A clean efficient design in a light strong yet flexible material is certainly a plus.

fastness
a.k.a. speed

I notice some people

– Last Updated: Sep-25-06 6:20 PM EST –

are suggesting kayak models that are over 14' in length.

If you really want to look in the 12'-14' range (a good range for recreational paddling, in my opinion), I'd look at the Necky Manitou 13, P&H Orca 14, Eddyline Merlin LT (but it might not fit you), Hurricane Palmetto 129 (recently out of production but you can still find them). Those are my favorites in the range you mentioned.

Good luck.
SP