Fastest kayak

Too many variables to be sure, but as others have said - longer waterline is almost always better. I don’t think the momentum/weight of the boat would be a significant factor at all (and if anything I’d bet on a lighter boat, though the difference would be tiny).

I’d expect the biggest factor between the two longer boats is how comfortable you are, and how able you are to maintain an efficient forward stroke (for example, if one feels “tippy” and you are bracing rather than paddling, or one feels very wide, so you cannot plant the paddle and pull it straight back - neither of these cases are likely for you - just suggesting how ergonomics might mean the “best” boat for you isn’t the best for someone else). Good luck and have fun!

2 Likes

Water conditions? Some are better in flat water and others better in the chop of open water. I have seen within a distance run as water conditions change so does the lead boat. A dragster is great on a 1/4 mile track but maybe not the best for a pikes peak run.

A “heavier” boat will only give you momentum when going down a steep, long waterfall. It will ride deeper and be slower everywhere else. Pick a course and time yourself in each of these boats. That is the only way to know for sure. Boats aren’t fast, per se. They are only fast when matched with an engine that knows how to unleash their speed and be comfortable in the boat. In general, the longer, narrower and lighter the faster.

2 Likes

Go with the Nikki echo. You’ll be pleased.

And your fastest paddle is?

Think I’m going with the Elaho. I’ve secretly rigged up a nitrous oxide system underneath the hull…that baby will shoot up a 10’ rooster tail now!

1 Like

With a rockered hull the Elaho is more designed for maneuverability than tracking and speed. Of course, the Gulfstream has a rockered hull as well. Whether it is fast enough for you will depend on your ability, the class you are put into, and possibly conditions on the day of the race. When is the race? Let us know how it turns out.

1 Like

Yes definitely interested to hear about how the race goes! Good luck!

1 Like

Make a few sand bags throw them in competitors hatches when they’re not looking! :laughing:

Was contemplating tossing in a couple of hungry beavers.

Good luck adjusting your paddle length in that thing.

Telescoping paddle of course!

That link didn’t work. Here is a website for the flyak and hydrofoil kayaks:

https://human-powered-hydrofoils.com/hydrofoils/hydrofoil-kayak-flyak/

Looks like he coukd use a longer paddle.

Learn to use a wing paddle, fly it to the side, loose grip, leg push, torso rotation and any kayak or surf ski over 20 feet . MM

1 Like

Be sure that it is a Necky Elaho w/rudder. The original Elaho DS (drop Skeg) is shorter with lots of rocker and a very close fitting cockpit.

As to your original three;
Gulfstream - Not the fastest
Stellar - Depends on the model. S18 or S18EXP yes, very fast.

Fastest kayak:
https://youtu.be/uNXh9gXDd2Y&t=157

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Have to admit. When seeing that waterfall, my first impulse was, wonder how it would feel going over that rim. Im compelled to find out now. Hot dang!

Please post the video of your plunge.

1 Like