Fat guy needs a kayak

Names
larger people need excerise also so dont let those with shallow minds influence your lifestyle.

now for what kind of boat.

a SOT kayak would most likely be the best due to weight issues. Prehaps decreased mobility also?

Weight listed on kayaks are accurate and should be a guideline for purchase.

Find a local outfitter and they can work with you on type of kayak. Longer vs shorter, peddle vs paddle or peddle and paddle and so on.

Here we have a wonderful local outfitter,we work with.They are the ones that helped us make our choice in kayak and we are having a great time this summer.

Keep in mind try the boat out before you buy.

Scupper plugs

– Last Updated: Jul-20-09 10:32 PM EST –

No real impact on performance that I am aware of. In rough conditions water can come in over the bow or sides of any kayak depending on your direction of travel . With a SIK you wear a skirt in these conditions but on an SOT the scuppers let the water drain out of the boat.

Most of the talk of a dry ride concerns water coming in the scupper holes due to the combined weight of the paddler and gear. I have no idea how the manufactures come up with these max weight figures but I feel they are a lot like the old MPG ratings on the car widow stickers. “Your mileage may vary” If all manufactures posted the weight at which the water reaches the top of the lowest scupper hole on each model the figure would be a lot more useful for choosing the right kayak. This is why you want an extra margin of weight capacity so the scuppers are only used to let water out. Water isn't static so rough conditions may cause water to splash up the scuppers and some people put plugs in the seating holes to prevent this. If you need to plug all the holes for a dry ride you probably have the wrong kayak. That's why the Big Game's 550-600 lb weight limit isn't just wasted capacity but may predict a dry ride for your weight. The only way to no for sure is a test drive.

My thoughts…
I bought my kayak last summer. I weighed 305 at the time (225 now).

I tested a lot of boats. I found the Pungo 140 to be very adequate. I paddled a 120 and it did ok as well. I tested the Tarpon 120 and 140. They handle the weight well.

I also spent a few hours in the Heritage Redfish 14 (SOT), Stingray 14, and Featherlite 12. I don’t like any of them. The Redfish was a slug, the Featherlite with a 325# capacity couldn’t track a straight line for anything. The Stingray was ok, but the Pungo 140 is superior in my opinion.

I settled on the Prowler 13, and couldn’t be happier. It is maneuverable and tracks fairly well. It was a very wet ride when I was 305. The funny thing is that it is only slightly more dry now that I’m 225. I’ve paddled it in all conditions except the ocean, and it does well. Class I and II whitewater, no problem. Class III, I got tossed. Handles chop on the lake well too. I would go SOT. The capacity lends to a much more secure ride.

Keep paddling. The health benefits are worth it.

Pungo 14
Unless you are paddling really shallow rocky areas I’d get a Wilderness Systems Pungo 14. It is a great boat for fat folks! It is really stable but you can often keep up with the slow sea kayaking groups with it. It will carry the weight and handles small chop and boat wakes well. You’ll need float bags with it if you plan on going father from shore than you want to swim with your boat. Plan your self rescues like you would canoe rescues and practice a lot this summer while the water is warm.

If you paddle a lot of really shallow rocky water then I’d look for the slower Pamlico that has a shallower draft.

One warning: If you start kayaking a few hours a week you’ll need to buy all new clothes…smaller clothes.

Anyone need some size 44 pants?

Big Game Prowler
On a side note about the Big Game Prowler, it does make a bit of a slapping noise.

-Capri

cold water
I live in the NE. I made a pair of neoprene britches to help with the cooler water.

Big guy kayak
If your looking into a kayak for bigger people and are leaning towards a sit on top, check out the perception striker 11.5 angler edition. It is super stable tracks well handles lakes and slower rivers and creeks. And most of all it has a forgiving 500lb weight limit. Comes standard with anchor and anchor trolley system and a Scotty mount rod holder. It is very easy to get in and out of. It is marketed as being able to stand in I have not tried to do so yet