Fat man kayak?

I’m a beginner to intermediate paddler. What I mean is that like 7 years ago I used to paddle all the time and got good at it, but have since packed on the lbs and now am not sure if I can find a kayak that’ll fit my needs. I’m 5’9" and weighing about 230 lbs. Other than having a bunch of fat, my cardio and muscular shape are good. I’m looking to get back into paddling, but am wondering about a kayak that would fit me well, looking for something to do class 2-4 and the style of a modern creeker. Any ideas?

You need a creek boat
or a river runner that creeks, if you want something to do class 2-4 with the style of a creekboat.

A Dagger Mamba 8.5 or the new 8.6, Jackson Super Hero, Wavesport Diesel 80, Liquid Logid Remix 79, Pyranha Burn Large or each firms equivalent sized creekboat, would be the ones I’d recommend.

If you figure to lose more than 35-40 pounds, you might be able or need to go to the next lower size, but these are the ones I’d recommend you consider.

I’d get the XP-10
But there are a lot of choices for paddlers your size. I have a few choices listed on my page here:

http://paddlingandsailing.blogspot.com/p/boats-for-fat-paddlers.html

OLD TOWN LOON 120
I’m about the same… but with 20 pounds on you. I just got a old town loon 120 and its perfect… Works great. Look me up on face book There is a photo there.

JEREMY BONNOUGH

When I was 296 I paddled a Perception
America. It was 13.5 feet long and the cockpit was huge. It was a lot of fun, not too heavy, stable, Ok to turn and manuver. It was even a nice color. You can find a used one for a few hundred dollars.

Loon and America not for whitewater
The original message mentioned class 2 to 4 whitewater. Class 3 and 4 whitewater require a combat roll and I don’t think those boats are good rolling boats that are whitewater ready.

Another alternative is a whitewater ready sit on top like a Dagger Torrent. It is not as versitile as the XP-10 but it will handle 250 pounds and is whitewater capable.

Another choice might be a whitewater inflatable kayak like the ones sold by NRS.

2 Likes

LiquidLogic
has what you need – take a look at their new Stomper 90, as well as the Jefe Grande and Remix XP10.

What this guy said
All great boats for a larger paddler. With your heigh i might actually see if you can find an Remix xp9 to sit in and see if its comfy, if not go with the 10

Yep, Your’re right. I had it in
Class III and the America started to buckle. It was a little scary because the water was raging and I had no idea what i was going to do if the boat collapsed or broke in two. I was only half way through, rocks everywhere and the shoreline was under water. (Skinners Falls if you know the place) I have a Prijon now.

I was 225 lbs at 5 foot 9, and I’ve been paddling a wavesport diesel 75, with more problems, even after I’ve lost weight still in the same boat.

like the diesel, fine boat for zippy eddyturns- fun to paddle, drawback for big folks, bow tends to submarine at the base of drops resulting in a mini ender, wetter more aggressive ride, expect to get hit in the chest by waves, requires a bit more rotation to finish the roll due to a catch point with the rear edges

If it helps, I’m 6’5" and 230lbs. My Jackson SuperFun is a really big boat for fitting me - so big that I had to move the seat up and switch from Sweet Cheeks 100 to Sweet Cheeks 200. The bow rides high, and it has a deserved reputation as an easy roller. I think, based on personal experience, the Jefe, Remix 79, and Superhero will be tighter fits (sold my Superhero and Remix 79 because the fit was tight and switched to a Jackson Villain). Could not fit into a Diesel at all.

So one thing I like about the diesel is that the thigh hooks extend well up the thigh (smaller cockpit than some of the new boats). It makes it harder for me to get in and out of the boat (and that includes wet exits) but actually puts less strain on my knees and hips (two artificial hips, bad knees). Getting out of the diesel after paddling is sometimes a wet experience or requires some help from buddies holding my boat (think of bobbing in an eddy and need to get out and scout). I actually use the sweet cheeks in the diesel to help with the hard seat pan (older outfitting) but barely inflated. I’m between 205’ (summer) and 220’ (winter) and just 5’10’, so I am a bit top heavy with broad shoulders. I also boat a y some but admittedly I’m a bit heavy for it. Some boats tend to be too deep for me (knees don’t touch the deck padding in mamba, shivas). A superfun would be more “fun” than I’m looking for.
It took me a few years to figure out that narrow is good for me- I went to the other extreme getting large boats (like the xp10) that were easy to get in and out of but they were actually putting more strain on knees and hips because the boats had to be more aggressively heeled to turn.

I also need a supportive backband. It helps keeps me more erect and puts less strain on the lower body. As I get older I’ve gotten much more particular about fit and outfitting. In fact, that is my primary consideration for anything I paddle. One of things I like about plastic boats is that I can launch and get out while still partially on shore. I can get out at a swimming pool if I can get my butt up on the edge of the pool. Honestly, I don’t think I could get out on dock unless I was in a canoe (elevated seat). Going from sitting to standing is a bit of a challenge. On dry land I have to go to my knees first and put my hands out in front of me, it ain’t pretty. Watching me get out of a small camping chair is downright comedic. I might as well just roll around on the ground first.

I guess what I’m saying is that I’m fat, I slump, and my parts are worn out. I don’t let any of this stop me from boating. To even have a shot at rolling I have to practice at least weekly, do core rotation stretches daily. It’s a process.

1 Like

Not for Class 2-4.

Sorry, I saw you were looking at white water boats.

Great, it’s a perfect option. My dad is still in-game with this kayak for white water, said that appreciates it for its lightweight and stable design. 340 lbs on board, btw

Inflatable kayak like AIRE would be good for you.

I’m 5’7", 230 lbs +/- a few cookies… 38-ish waist, thick legs, bit of a belly. Hey, I drive for a living lol. For a sea kayak I found the Wilderness Systems Tsunami 165 to fit me perfectly, how I would imagine skinny people fit in a low or medium volume kayak. If you can find a whitewater kayak with similar cockpit dimensions, try it out.

1 Like

NHTrucker. Good boats. I started sea kayaking with the 125 Tsunami, went to the 145, then the 175, and back to the 145, because the175 was too heavy to lug around. They can be fast in the right hands.

2 Likes

Vibe Sea Ghost 130 got a good write up for big people.