Favorite Assisted Rescue

Grab the Casualtys

– Last Updated: Aug-25-08 10:18 PM EST –

boat by the bow pick it up and give it a quick spin (rolling it over dumping water).
This should dump most of the water.
Haul her into your boat, have the casualty get into their own boat using the crab entry, straddling their boat or what ever they can do.
Here is the trick.
Hang onto them as you get the casualty to pump out what water remains in their own boat. DON'T LET GO!!!! untill they have their composure.
I did the (put the victim back in the Emptied boat) in under 24 seconds some yeasr ago in front of a CBC Camera. It was a safety demo that was not rehearsed.
We did the real thing in waves in about 20 seconds two months ago.
It works fine.
We have a great stirrup re-entry meathod developed by Mark Dykeman that works well when conditions are bad.

Leg-over Re-entry
Funny you should ask; one of my students has been having a real hard time getting back in his kayak after a T-rescue. Ordinarily I teach the prone-on-the-back-deck-feet-in-the-cockpit-slide-forward-turn-and-sit-down re-entry, but he had just too much upper-body mass to heave himself up with his arms. He and his wife want to paddle together, so it was important to find a way he could get back in his boat. I remembered the leg-over re-entry and we tried it yesterday - worked like a charm!

Basically, you float on your back facing the bow of your boat, hook your nearest leg into the cockpit, grab the rear perimeter lines and roll yourself up into the rear-deck prone position. Amazing how well it works. So now they can go off and paddle together and she doesn’t have to worry about towing him and his boat to shore if he capsizes.

It also works great for people with
limited upper body strength.

It does take a strong rescuer to handle us heavier guys when we need to do it.

Sorry JackL, but you don’t need to pump

– Last Updated: Aug-26-08 4:41 AM EST –

after all assisted rescues. And yes, there are lots of names for rescues. The names aren't as important as being able to perform them in all manner of sea state with all manner of craft.

BTW, the rescue you use is very effective. But there are quicker and more efficient ways of performing assisted rescues - such as draining the water before the person gets back in a boat. It is much quicker to drain the water from a cockpit than to pump out a cockpit full of water (at least with a very small amount of practice).

***edit***

This isn't "book stuff" - it is practical stuff gained the experience. Please don't allow yourself to be constrained by your own prejudice.

“Prejudice” ???

– Last Updated: Aug-26-08 5:50 AM EST –

Same old same old crap !
Some one says something here on P-net that doesn't go along with the book methods, and thats "prejudice"?

Can your book methods beat about a half a minute or less.?

You asked about everyones favorite "Assisted Rescue Methods"

I posted what worked quick and easy, and then naturally the purists have to pick up on that, and then naturally I am "prejudice".

You use your method , I'll use mine, and hopefully when you get to a real life situation, yours will work out just fine!

Cheers,
JackL

never hurts to know more
than one technique—what happens if youre caught without a pump some day?–T rescue would be your best option—some prefer it to Reentry and pump anyway as the rescuee doesn’t have to sit in cold water for the 0ne to two minutes it takes to pump the boat out. BTW didn’t learn these from a book—took a course

I was replying to the guy calling me
"prejudiuce" !

On the pump: the four things that I don’t leave without are my skirt, pump, PFD and spare paddle, and I consider the skirt and pump to be more of a safety device than the PFD.

On the “doesn’t hurt to know more on the assisted rescues” than the one I would use: Please explain why, when my method works just fine?

I paddle for the joy of paddling and exploring and thouroughly enjoy it for just that.

Do I need to take a course on how to do that ?

Cheers,

JackL

Rescuer Strength
I think it just takes practice on the part of the rescuer, to get the right grip on the boat. They’re both novices, the wife not particularly strong. Took her a couple of attempts, but she did learn how to hang on to his kayak while he rolled in.

I was so jazzed we found something that worked for them!!!

leg hook - use FAR leg
Best way to use the leg hook method is to use the leg farthest from the boat. Just straightening the leg will give you enough leverage to roll on the back deck, slide in while rolling uprights. Keeps the weight low and requires no energy on the part of the swimmer.

The rescuer should not present the cockpit to the swimmer by tipping it towards them, this will fill the boat with water. Keep the swimmer’s boat flat and commit to the boat to hold it while they use their leg to lever themselves into the boat.

Suz

prejudice…
A preconceived preference or idea.

In your posts it seems that you have decided that what you have learned from experience and discovery is better than ‘book stuff’, or taking lessons. I am not saying it is or isn’t. What I am saying is that it might be, or it might not be. Unless you have tried the ‘book stuff’, or taken lessons (formal or informal) you can’t really speak from experience as to which one is best.

how I am a purist, BTW? I pointed out that your method was completely valid, but there are more efficient methods if you feel like learning them.

I mentioned this before, but you keep using the phrase ‘book method’, the methods I use are learned, practiced, and then modified. They are ‘real world’ methods that I have used in practice and during real rescues.

Lastly, you do not need to take a course. Courses, and books, do serve many people well and you should not look down on them because it is not your preferred method.

“Please explain why”

– Last Updated: Aug-26-08 10:33 AM EST –

because someday you might not have access to a pump(forgot it, washed off your deck etc) and would have to do a T-rescue

oohhh wait a minute---If you wore a tilley hat you could use it for a bailer if you didnt' have a pump.

“If” is a big word
If the dog didn’t stop to take a crap he would have caught the rabbit.

I don’t wear a tilly, so I’ll just have to use my ball cap or my partners pump.

cheers,

jackL

I don’t look down on them
You seem to be the one that wants to keep the argument going and you were the one that said I was “prejudiced”

My way in two real cases worked perfectly, but you for some strange reason don’t want to believe that because it came from a quick and natural reaction and was not taught.

cheers,

JackL

Thanks!
Appreciate the feedback. Actually, we couldn’t figure out which leg to use, so tried both and it worked either way. I will let him know.

Also illustrates why people should carry a pump - with his weight and the wide beam of his kayak (Eddyline NH 175), the wife couldn’t quite keep it level, so he did take on some water getting in.

But the important thing was, they finally found a way to get him back in his boat by themselves.

if you read again
you will see that I acknowledged that it worked - I even called it ‘very effective’. I 100% believe it worked, and I have even used that method before.

My first reply to your post was to point out to you that this statement “You need a pump with any rescue…” was not true. And, that there are other methods, just as valid as yours, that work just as well, which do not require the use of a pump. Such as this example (performed slowly in flatwater, but very effective in rough water)…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Z43EqTRUA

And I still think you are prejudice (not necessarily a bad thing). Prejudice, defined as a preconceived preference or idea, seems to fit your approach to assisted rescues. You prefer your method in favor of other methods you termed ‘book stuff’, and don’t seem interested in learning other methods, nor does it seem you have tried other methods.

Learning from books and classes are a valid way to learn, but that isn’t your style. However, there is no need to write them off simply because you like doing things a different way.

give up
you are not going to convince Jackl that there is more than one rescue technique he should know anymore that you can convince him to wear his pfd or to buy a tilley hat or to learn how to roll his kayak—ain’t going to happen—he is way to set in his ways for all that newfangled stuff.

That’s great!!
The right grip on the boat does work wonders, especially if the rescuer will commit to the rescue and really lay over onto the victim’s boat with all of their weight. A lot of beginners are fearful that they’ll capsize too if they lean way over onto the boat.

Glad you got it working for them! It’s my rescue of choice for most situations.

Prove it
If you can pump out an entire cockpit in “a half a minute or less” please post a video so we all can learn. I’m willing to bet you don’t even get the person back in the cockpit in under a minute, let alone pump out the cockpit.

You can be as critical as you want to be about people who learn from books. I’ve learned from experience the value in having many different tools in my toolbox.

the math doesn’t look promising

– Last Updated: Aug-26-08 6:44 PM EST –

At 7 to 8 strokes per gallon, even assuming maintaining one stroke every two seconds, you'd pump about 2 gallons in thirty seconds

jesus
there’s nothing “book” about naming things accurately. You don’t call your pump a stick or your paddle a pump. Rescues have names that accurately describe how they work. There’s nothing “book” about it.