Female intermediate paddler-which kayak?

Perhaps at my age
most of my 125 lbs. has settled south enough that I just don’t need the extra outfitting in a 21.5 boat. :wink: Or, maybe up here in the north country I’m wearing more fleece, wetsuits, drysuits, etc. than your girlfriend would be wearing down there in Florida.

Legend/ Silhouette
Yes, if you net Nigel Foster himself he would tell you that the Silhouette was the boat he sesigned for your size and the Legend was too big. (Since he told me that at a symposium as I was stepping into his boats to demo.)

Both are plenty fast boats. While the Legend is a narrower cockpit than most so may feel better, the length to the thigh braces could still be an issue. It is a little easier boat on paddler balance than the Silhouette, I thoght anyway. As above, let us know. If you are trying the Legend you should really try to find a Silhouette as well, to be able to compare.

There is a Betsy Bay Valkyrie for sale at a very nice price in the classified section of Atlantic Coastal Kayaker this month, though the listing lacks all contact info. But a call to the magazine may find that out.

female
As I expected, the legend was not a very snug fit. The very large cockpit could accommodate a 6’2" 220# person easily, although the thigh braces were pretty comfortable. I took it out on the sound and thought that it handled very well for nearly 18". Seemed to track better than the capella I’ve tried, but I think it’s more boat than I need. Have enough storage for longer trips. I just want weekend capacity. Also very heavy. Meanwhile, went to North Cove to sit in some of my picks to get a feel for sizes. THe curricuck is too big-the person who said to wait for the Force 3 coming out later this fall was correct. Also tried the montauk-a bit big in the cokpit also. Snuggest fit was the Chatham 16, but it has a seatback adjustment over the thigh braces that’s like the buckles on ski boots. Seems like it could catch on clothing in a capsize, so that concerned me. Wilderness Tempest 165 pro was VERY snug-had hip cushions. Also tried the nighthawk 16. Seat was the best of the 3-molded. Nearly all of the seatbacks were uncomfortable-that floating/adjustable band thing. Does anyone make a good seat? So what have I learned? If the boat handles well (tracks, turn, surf, wind) I could go a bit longer. I know weight is a definite priority, and that I need a smaller cockpit for best fit. I had been going by boat height, but some 13" felt the same as 12 1/2 depending on how the seat is positioned so can’t use that to rule in or out. I connected with someone who owns a sparrowhawk and plan to try that out in the next couple of days. Don’t think these are made any more-anyone have one?

female
Celia, Thanks for the tip on the Betsy Bay. I didn’t know about Atlantic Coastal Kayaker resource so will check it out. No one in CT seems to carry NF boats and haven’t seen any silhouettes used, but would try if opportunity comes along. J

Don’t forget to test the Vela
Try the Vela before buying anything. The seat is great, the fit fantastic. It’s fast for its length and tracks well even in rough seas.

if you like the hull
you can make a seat that fits as long as it’s not a plastic boat with a permanently molded seat. It’s pretty common to play around with backbands.

Check out NH16 Cockpit mods

– Last Updated: Oct-10-05 12:22 PM EST –

Check out my website for pictures of the modifications I made to my Nighthawk 16. www.thistleback.net/kayaking.html - I am 5'6" and outfitted this boat for my weight of 155. I'm 165 now, and it's a tight fit. Will be losing weight, and will probably want to beef up the hip pads a bit, but I love the relatively narrow beam and cockpit of the Nighthawk. I've had it out camping for 5 days and had plenty of room for all my gear plus lots of fresh water. I love this boat! I needed a slightly higher front deck than many - several boats I tried compressed my thighs in front and put my hips in an uncomfortable tweak.

About the seat height in the Nighthawk - there are three heights in the adjustable seat - make sure that it is set at it's lowest if and when you try this boat again.

This was my second boat, and one that I'm still growing into as far as skills and capability. I believe this boat will do everything I will ever want. I also tried the WS Tempest 16 in poly, and while it was a nice boat, I liked the Carbonlite material and it's light weight.

Paula

NH 16
I agree with thistleback about it being a wonderful boat and I love mine, too. I’ve had mine out camping for over a week with more than enough storage and I’m NOT a minimalist camper. On a long trip on the Green River in Utah we had to carry all our water, too and our Nighthawks performed beautifully totally (and I mean totally) loaded.

I like the carbonlite because it holds up so well and isn’t bad at all weight wise. And cheaper than carbon/kevlar by far.

I do think it is harder for me to roll than the Mystic or Montauk but maybe that’s mental.

I guess I’m just a “love the one you’re with” kind of gal and I love all my kayaks. :slight_smile:

wilderness systems arctic hawk?
or betsie bay valkyrie?

Impex montauk?

New foster rumor?

Sparrow Hawk
That’s the smaller cousin to the Arctic Hawk, and it is correct for your (and my) size. Also fast, sexy and no longer in production, but there are a few in the NE. Even if you don’t like the boat, you should definately take an opportunity to demo it.

The Foster boats, and the Hawks, are stronger trackers than the Capella. But as long as the boat fits you well and you feel good in it, you should be able to get it to turn as needed for day tripping and touring purposes. If you decide you want to do surf down the road, you’ll be on the hunt for a different boat. But for now I wouldn’t worry about that - since I surmise that you have more time on the water than formal training, it’s not a near concern. And you’ll always want a touring boat.

As to the Vela… I like my Vela very well - it’s my short boat. I just came in from spending a few hours paddling it. But for loaded touring, even a weekend, you’d better be a backpacking camper for this boat. It’s so low volume, I noticed the diff that was made by my drybag of spare insulating layers being in the bow rather than the stern. We moved the dry bag to the stern and the nose felt lighter. (I had also moved the seat up an inch to get the thigh contact I wanted, so it’s already a little more forward to fit me right than on the manufacturer’s default.)

I’d hardly say con’t try the Vela - but I’d be concerned about its loaded capacity for overnights unless you are a pretty spare camper.

New Valley LVs
If you haven’t settled on a boat by the time they arrive, you might wish to demo the promised Valley LVs.

With new production methods and LV versions of Nordkapp and Aquanaut, these new boats should be seductive.

Apparently some prototypes are already around as there have been some comments for people who have demoed. I believe Valley plans to be shipping them starting over this winter.

You can email GRO and ask for the new (2006) catalogue. http://www.grokayaks.com/

sheesh
I knew this would be brought up again sometime…

Beam is equally as important.\

Paul

Sparrow Hawk - Available?
someone in CT selling a used Sparrow Hawk? I would be interested. :slight_smile:

sing

tempest 165
When I first bought my tempest 170, I insisted in jamming myself into the boat with the hip pads in place. I was then 230. I am now 200 (three months later!) and can slide easily with the hip pads but have found that I really didn’t want/need them anymore as I got more comfortable with my strokes and rolling. So I took them out last week. The important points where you need firm control are your knees/thighs and your feet for bracing. Wiggle room in the cockpit is actually advantageous for you to perform good torso rotation. Additionally, the hip pads put pressure on your sides and caused me pain after a few hours in the boat. Now I can shift around comfortably, paddle forward strokes better and generally feel much more comfortable. However it did take three months for me to figure this out for myself.

I also brought the back band up as far forward as possible for me, brought the hip pads to their farthest position and ran the foot pegs back out a bit effectively bringing me forward at least a couple of inches. I found that my leans and turns became so much more subtle and smooth and when rolling I could use the backband to lean way back to the cockpit coaming while doing a sweep layback roll with the gp. (this should be even easier when I foam out the forward bulkhead

Don’t discount a boat that appears to be a little loose in the seat. What is more important is the contact you can achieve when bracing with your legs and feet, as that is what you are going to be using to control the boat.

just my 2 cents worth.

Paul

sparrow hawk
Mark Rodgers/Superior kayak http://www.superiorkayaks.com/superiorkayaks020.htm

The designer of the sparrow hawk, says that there will be a kit availiable soon

That’s Been In Posted For Almost A
year if not more. Not holding my breath on that one. :wink:

sing

Old listing but…
here it is anyway:

Wilderness Systems Sparrow Hawk, kevlar, yellow over white. Stored indoors, good condition. Includes sprayskirt & cockpit cover. $1,100. Call (202) 579-0708 for more info. 06/02/05

hawks
it might be worth waiting for , All the hawks (Sparrow & Artic) made by Wilderness Sys. have the frount hatch sticking way up in the air. everytime that I ever paddled one, the water had the tendancy to hit the frount hatch and splash right into my face. the ones that Mark Rodgers makes in his shop have a flush frount hatch and they don’t splash you on every little wave. I like tupperware hatches, but don;t care for them sticking up like WS did on the Hawks. I also don’t mind getting a face full of water , but the waves you are in should warrent “getting wet”

none of this matters if you just want them as a rolling boat.

female
After some more research, I ruled out valley’s b/c of weight, and valkyrie b/c of maintenance (wood decks). Also think I need a skeg for those windy days on the sound, and day hatch would be a really nice convenience. So I am reluctant about the sparrow hawk now. Reviews say it doesn’t do well in wind and waves. On the review site at least (altho not in the latest subject on this forum) Ellesmere had rave reviews in all areas, not the least of which is comfort. I am definitely into that. I guess I want it all: lite, day hatch, good track, turn, wave performance, wind, comfortable seat…

So my latest list is looking like this:

Ellesmere, capella 163, vela kevlar, surge, seaward 16-17 footer, and maybe kajak sport viking, chatham 16, CD slipstream. Trying the ellesmere next week. Maybe the sparrowhawk this weekend, but have kind of talked myself out of it. J

Tracer
Celia,

I think your missing the recommended Tracer - not at all like the other Hurricane boats. I paddled Rich’s demo in Julyand was impressed. Almost did a windowshade on the first roll. 16.5’ x 21.75" carved nice turns, tracked well, but for me was a little hard to hold on edge. Fun boat for under a buck.

~wetzool