Ferdinand here. Went to HD looking for

plants. If I have an addiction, it is flowers. Addicts should stay away from the thing they are hooked on. That was this morning. Just got back from a great nursery.
I almost have all I need except for tomatoes and peppers. They can wait a bit.
I come by it honestly. My Dad’s hobby was award winning roses and my mother made arrangements with them.Between then , they won 16 first place trophies at garden shows. Now my kids are getting started.
Some even like to paddle.
I’ll be playing in the dirt the rest of the weekend.

Well lucky you! My hubby was trying to reseat a landscape lantern that lights up the dark stairs. He spent three hours thawing the ground with a hairdryer and sitting on his butt on a minicell sheet in the snow.
Dirt? Unfrozen? Not before Mothers Day here!

Temperature envy I have. It was 70F in Detroit yesterday and 36F up here.
Snowed a bit early this morning, crazy windy, snowbanks and ice make for a dreary landscape. Freezing rain for tomorrow. Ugh. Still haven’t seen a robin, although I’ve heard them in town. The transition from end of winter to actual spring weather seems to take longer than the entire winter.
Our last frost date is June 11, so annuals don’t go in till then unless you’re a gambler. Have lots of perennials; they do their own thing. Maybe I’ll sow my lettuce seeds tomorrow. Indoors, of course.

Our last frost date is April 16. For the next week, high in the 70s , lows of 50 ish.
We pay for it July-September.

@String said:
Our last frost date is April 16. For the next week, high in the 70s , lows of 50 ish.

We will too. Sometime during then it will get up to 82 and we will complain loudly. It might even do that for two days.

the downslide is the maple sap flowed a little in Feb and now nothing is moving with temps high at freezing… The sugar shack people are NOT happy.

The last frost date here in the Princeton, NJ area is April 24th but I’m sure I’ll have some annuals and herbs out before then. The only problem I have is that the woods behind my house are full of deer and they eat just about everything. Consequently, outside of my gated off deck and herb garden, all I ever plant are vinca/periwinkle flowers in various colours

@kayamedic said:

@String said:

We will too. Sometime during then it will get up to 82 and we will complain loudly. It might even do that for two days.

the downslide is the maple sap flowed a little in Feb and now nothing is moving with temps high at freezing… The sugar shack people are NOT happy.

A high of 82 feels like spring here. Last summer , at times the lakes looked and felt like steel frying pans.

I grow Elephant Ears regular and upright. Also Canna Lilly. I mean tons of them when I dig them all up to clean and take to my other house for storage it’s about 1.5 pickup (8’ bed) trucks full. Then take them all to the basement for storage. Biggest leave was 3’11" 3/4 long. Canna have reached 8’ high. People come and take pictures of the jungle. Then Jade plants also to many of them too. About 3 full days work for two men to remove clean and store. Some Strawberry begonias also. Then some regular flowers also. Few years back bought some plant on ebay Cou xxxxx? Sp. It came as a small thin live plant 8" long. That grew leaves that were 5’ x 5’6" all in 6 weeks. Living on water in Long Island and Pansies never stopped flowering this year and some weeds never died. Crazy climate.

Love to see pics of that “jungle”! Love big leaf plants.

try to post soon :slight_smile:

Anyone who plants before Memorial Day here in upstate New York does so at his peril.

By tradition, our planting starts on Good Friday.