Fiberglass option to a Tsunami 145

Hello I have been looking at several different brands of kayak’s. The two that I like are the Wilderness Tsunami 125 and the 145. The one area that make these two stand out is they have a higher deck in them, 16 inch’s. This allows me to sit in them with my knees bent some while using the thigh braces. This set up just feel more stable to me then sitting with my legs straight out in a kayak with a lower deck.

The only Issue I have with either of these kayak’s is they are not fiberglass, they are the formed plastic stuff instead.

Now here is my question, is there a fiberglass type kayak out there that would provide the same type of fit. I have not seen one my self.

Thanks

peregrine keweenaw hv
Such a kayak does indeed exist and are made in Michigan

Peregrinekayaks.com

qcc 400?
The high decks on tsunami’s are nice at first. I promise you will get comfortable with a boat with a tad shorter height as well.

Ryan L.

Try the Tsunami 140 Pro
The composite version will feel a bit more roomy than the plastic one. It’s not as huge as the 145, but worth sitting in if you get the chance.

Your legs should never be “straight
out” but splayed, with your kneecaps out toward the sides and your knees somewhat bent.

I’m 6’ 5" and have yet to sit in a kayak that forces my legs “straight out”. And thigh braces won’t work properly unless your knees are splayed.

Hey g2d
not sure that I would say “never”. Most racers have their legs straight and then pump them as they paddle. I do agree that most paddling is done with knees splayed though.

A word of caution.
I am new to the kayak game as well. My experience is this - at first I was like you, I thought I wanted huge roomy cockpit. A year later I have changed. I have become accustomed to kayaking and now I want a snug, but not tight, cockpit. Unless you are sure you want a high deck after paddling for a long while, consider either waiting a bit longer, or maybe buy plastic now (cheaper) and then buy composite after you have some more time in the seat and a real good idea what you want. But, maybe you are beyond this I don’t know. Its just that I think this progression in people who are new to paddling,(like myself), from loose to snug is common.

A BIG boat
The Tsunami 145 is a big person’s boat. I’ve got one…and I’m an average size guy. When I started out, it felt a little tippy etc. Now, it feels like I’m paddling an aircraft carrier. I use it largely for camping and multi-day outings…and it is outstanding for that purpose.

The Tsunamis are excellent kayaks that will do lots of things that other “transitional tourers” don’t do well. You will be surprised at how well it handles open ocean conditions, as long as you aren’t in a hurry.

But the key is to get the right size. The 140 is better suited to most people.

this makes sense to me
unless of course you already have a lot of experience and really know this is what you want long term (or if you just want a fibergalass boat becasue they’re beautiful and don’t mind the ri$k that you will want a different boat soon). If you may want to re-sell, I would guess that there is more demand out there for a rotomolded Tsunami 145 than for a fiberglass equivalent. You (the original poster) did not mention your size and what experience you already have. Folks on this board usually want to do more than merely answer your direct question :slight_smile: but it’s usually advice worth thinking about!

I think “splayed” is deceiving
My thigh braces are underdeck, not on the insides of the side of the hull. With a 21" wide hull I’m not sure it would be possible to have “splayed legs”.

relatively splayed?
My QCC 600 was only 21" wide with thigh braces that extended towards the middle of the boat. Used to think it was very comfortable paddling with my knees/thighs under the braces. Then I started racing and got used to paddling with legs together. Didn’t like paddling the QCC anymore. Not enough room between the braces for legs together and no longer comfortable paddling under the braces.

Alan

to be honest, I alternate
When I don’t need to brace, I paddle with legs together moreso than splayed apart. The more positions I can sit in, the more comfortable I am in the long run.

redmond, you’re talking about flatwater
sprint or marathon kayaking. In slalom racing, the legs are splayed. All whitewater kayaks are set up for splayed legs. It’s a necessary position for effective boat control and rolling.

Greg Barton doesn’t roll sprint kayaks, nor should he need to. Scott Shipley has to roll kayaks, in the middle of the race. So Shipley has his legs splayed, and because of that, he can’t pump with his legs and torso to nearly the extent that Barton can.

It’s the difference between straight line efficiency and effective control of a boat that can’t sit upright a lot of the time.

When I was sculling, I had to sit with my knees close together. Another restriction for straight line speed. I think most kayakers will be happiest with their legs splayed, if they’re going to roll now and then, or play in heavy surf. Flatwater straight line cruisers can go knees up.