Fiberglass/wood rib repair?

Well - I knew it would happen sooner or later…

I just noticed that my somewhat aged Navarro Legacy has a couple of splits in the wood ribs that are delaminating, just below the gunwale. What is the best way to repair this? I’m assuming maybe some marine epoxy and clamps are involved. Is there any structural issue I should be aware of?

What do you mean delaminating?
I do a lot of things with West epoxy, and it should be THE thing to use on wood ribs, but the first issues are, what do you mean by delaminating, and what interior finish was used over those ribs? Have the ribs split in their centers, or are they splitting away from the hull they are supposed to support?

It’s possible the inside was finished with West or a similar epoxy, but almost certainly they would have used a UV resistant spar varnish to protect the epoxy… or they may have used only the varnish. You could try to talk to the manufacturer.

The ribs have split…
in the centers and are pulling away from the shell around the split. According to the Navarro website, the wood is coated with vinyl ester resin.

I have read that Navarro is not currently answering any calls or emails (out of business?), so I assume the only info I can get is from their website which is still up.

I’m thinking of cleaning out the splits with compressed air and injecting some West epoxy, then clamping with wax-paper covered blocks. Then maybe re-coating with resin?

Probably that will work. I have had
good luck with West epoxy on vinylester. In addition to blowing out the gaps, can you shoot small amounts of acetone in there to make the surface more susceptible to the epoxy? Just small amounts, you don’t want it creeping around by capillary action.

Should be able to do that…
Thanks for the tip!

Navarro back in business
I just communicated with Navarro via email yesterday.

The guy Vernon Pew sold the company to and moved it to Arcata, CA has resold it to the employees and a man from Minnesota.

Apparently the sales department is being operated out of Minnesota, but the factory has been moved back to Southern Oregon in the City of Rogue River near Grants Pass.

This is the email address that worked for me:

sales@navarrocanoes.com

Thanks, guys!
Eric - thanks for the details on the epoxy application. Sounds like something I can handle. I do some woodwork and am set up for this kind of thing. Lucky for me - I think the special appearance of this canoe is worth it.

BTW - I wouldn’t think of storing it outdoors!

rvwen - good to hear they’re back up and running. Also good to see some canoes being produced in the northwest.