Field & Stream Kay-Noe for $400-500

Kay Noe Canoe

– Last Updated: May-19-08 11:49 AM EST –

Hello,
I just called Johnson Outdoor company who owns Old Town and a few other canoe/kayak companies.
Pn#360-366-4003
Asked about the construction of the Kay Noe canoe that is in Dick's and the Customer Service rep told me that it's made of Thermaform, which is a one ply sheet that is heated and vaccum formed to a mold of the canoe, it is similar to the pack but just made of a different material, the pack is made of Royalex, the Kay Noe is made of Thermaform which they said is compariable to the poly, but much stiffer, very good canoe for the money. I just purchased mine from Dicks in Cincinnati on sale for $445, about $100 bucks off. I am pleasaed witht the canoe, and it does have a keel that runs from bow to stern. I hope that this helps.
Paddle Away !!

Update, I did some more reaearch and talked to the people at Old Town, here's the edit. Kay Noe is a remake of the Discovery 119K, except this is made in Thermaform poly, which is one ply, much stiffer than just poly. It's 11' 9" long, total weight capacity is 600 lbs, weights about 55 to 60 pounds. It is smaller than the pack in width and lenght. Ph# Old Town 1-800-343-1555

Kay-Noe Canoe

– Last Updated: May-23-08 11:33 PM EST –

Hello,
I am holding in my hands the Dick's "Canoe Guide".
It states that the Kay-Noe is:
11'9" x 32 1/2".
475 Capacity
Weights 43 pounds
Strong, lightweight Polylink3 hull,
single molded seat with back.

Current Price in their Natick, Mass store is $449.

Kay-Noe
Yes the Kay-noe is a Pack Angler made of a different material. I purchased one this afternoon at Dick’s for $400 and spent the rest of the day on Lake Lanier fishing. Haven’t been in a canoe for 20+ years and was very pleased with the performance. I will say the same things for this canoe as the reviews that I read for the Pack Angler. A LITTLE TIPPY. EASY TO LOAD, AND DESCENT TRACKING. I used a standard canoe paddle and tomorrow will try a kayak paddle on the Chatahoochee. As the reviews on the Pack state I believe I will be more pleased using the kayak paddle. My Dachshund enjoys riding in it also and even with the noise he kept making was able to catch and release 2 nice bass.

field and stream kay-noe
I dont know if its made by old town but it weights 43 lbs and is 11 feet 9 inches long with lowered seat to lower center of gravity , has speed and manueverability of a kayak with the dryness of a canoe, capnront

field and stream kay-noe, y
Dicks brosure says its made of polylink 3

kay-noe
The Kay-Noe is without a doubt made by Old Town Canoes. If you Purchase one as I did, you will find that the owner manual is from Old Town Canoes. Have used mine numerous times on the Chatahoochee and on Lake Lanier and I am enjoying it greatly. Kay-Noe and Joes Flies, a great combo for trout all day long. Catch and release of course!

Polylink/Superlink Repair
Hi,

I’ve been looking for a solo canoe since spring. I thought Buffalo Canoes in Ark. was making me one but all I’ve gotten is the run-around. I was previously looking at the Pack and the local Dick’s had one for $549 in May that’s of course gone now. I need a smaller boat to car top on a two door Blazer and it needs to fit in my garage without taking up most of the room of a car. I just sold Buffalo’a equivalent of the Discovery 158 for those reasons. Also, I’m a whitewater kayaker and I like a boat that turns sharper even if it’s not as fast. I’ve been stuck on Royalex because everything I’ve seen says it’s easier to repair than the other plastics. So, what’s the real story with Polylink/Superlink? Can it be successfully repaired? I’ve also been looking at the “Field & Stream” 12’ canoe that they now have at the local Dick’s but am apprehensive about it being a “throw away” boat once it gets wear/damage. I’ve been paddling for almost 30 years so the chances of my crashing the boat are minimal but there’s also the question of wear-through from shallow shoals. This boat would never see anything above a Class II, it’s strictly for tame rivers, anything higher gets my whitewater kayak.

The “Kay-Noe” is only $399 at Dick’s right now and I can’t decide whether of not to pull the trigger.

Thanks ahead for any comments/suggestions. :slight_smile:

repair
I’ve had my Kay-Noe for 4 months now and have hit and gone over numerous shoals on the Chattahoochee, sometimes water conditions make them difficult to see. There are numerous scratches on the hull but nothing that is even near being in need of repair. The hull is very durable! You mention your 2 door Bronco, I have a Ford Escape, the Kay-noe slides easily on top of the factory roof racks. I do find that it tracks much better with a kayak paddle because of its length, more speed also.

Field and Strteam Kay - noe
The owners manual that came with my Kay-Noe said Old Town Canoe using the pack mold but used polkylink 3 with a weight of 43 Ils( Period).Great boat love it. I paid $399 plus tax at Dicksd sporting goods. capnront

Polylink repair
I’ve been paddling a 17 foot Coleman on river camping trips for about 25 years. I dealt with the inevitable abrasion of the keel by gluing Kevlar skid plates onto the ends of the canoe. Although I am sure that there have been advances in the plastics used in these types of boats, it seems that the difficulties in getting epoxy to stick to the low surface tension plastics persist.

I used West Systems G/Flex epoxy to glue the Kevlar skid plates onto my Coleman. The basics for this type of repair is outlined in Epoxyworks Magazine

http://www.epoxyworks.com/16/index16.html.

The good folks at Blue Mountain Outfitters (Marysville, Pa) suggested applying G/flex to the flame treated plastic and using a mix of G/flex and WestSystems Epoxy to “wet out” the Kevlar.

The process worked perfectly for me. Good Luck

Kay-Noe
Nice, little boat! $350 on sale at Dick’s Melbourne,FL earlier this fall. Actually weighs 50 lbs as sold, 43 only if you remove the plastic seat and metal seat brackets. Can be a handful to cartop solo in some circumstances-it’s no 33lb Pack, that’s for sure.

I gave in to the Dark Side- my extra paddle is now a 2-pc 240cm Manta Ray kayak paddle that I use whenever I need more horsepower. Can’t beat it when the wind and tide is against you.

I like to change seating positions throughout the day and even stand in the canoe to fish or pole through the shallows. I cut a 1x4 board that fits between the gunnels and sits on the aft end of the seat brackets. When I want to sit up high I lay the board on the seat brackets, fold the seat forward, and lay my seat cushion across the two. Feels just like the seating position of a full-size canoe. By chance, the same board makes a nice footbrace wedged beneath the forward thwart when you’re in the stock seat.

55 liter dry bags full of camping gear will stuff in either end and they won’t be in the way.

I use two 3lb folding grapnel anchors when I’m fishing- one out either end with 1/8" line fed through an eyebolt in each end to guide the line. $5 Plastic v-cleats screwed to the inside of the gunnels adjust and release the anchor rope quickly.

Overall, a good compromise boat for fishing, camping and day tripping. Very maneuverable in tight waterways with lots of snags and blowdowns and can still be motored upwind and upstream with a kayak paddle

Field and Stream - Kay-pro
I saw this at Dick’s Sporting Goods today, too. It is definitely not the “Old Town Pack.” It is not made of Royalex (the Pack is) and it weighs 43 lbs (the Pack weighs 33 lbs). The Pack costs twice as much as the Kay-pro. I’m trying now to find reviews on the Kay-pro.

Kay-Noe from Dick’s
Anyone in the market should look at Dicks soon. I got a Kay-Noe (made by Old Town) there last weekend for $299 in Grand Rapids.

kay noe Field and stream
The Kay-noe tan in color weigh 41 lbs and was made in the same mold as the old Pack by Old Town but use Polylink3 rather than oyalex, so the extra weight. I have one for sell for $300 bough late last summer and use about 10 times, want a kayak, interested in a trade fore a Ocan kayak. capnront@@hotmail.com

GREAT BOAT
I love this canoe. It was my home for three months. All of the blogs/articles i read said it was a great lake touring boat, or great for small waters. I however took this Canoe 1,500 miles down the Mississippi River from Wisconsin to New Orleans. Not one problem with this boat. You will need to use a double bladed paddle though. you can buy them. a little pricey. I suggest at the least a 280… but i built mine out of two five foot paddles with about 12" of threaded doll rod and hose clamps… still have the paddle so it worked great

GREAT BOAT
I found this 11’9" canoe in Dicks Sporting Goods as well… I picked it up for just under 400 dollars… and I LOVED it. I took this Kay Noe from Wisconsin To New Orleans via the Fox River, to the Illinois River, to the Mississippi River, and it never failed me. I would buy that boat a hundred times over… one thing though is that you want to use a kayak paddle to push yourself with. A single blade just wont to. You will be going side to side with no forward progress. I made my own out of two single blades… it was ten feet long… that was a good length. i think if you look into buying one you want to look for one that is about … 285 cm … i think that is right… good luck and good travels

Not that simple
Not necessarily. There are NUMEROUS different 3-layer laminates besides Royalex, including at least 2 kinds of Royalex (actually, all Royalex is laid up custom, so each production is at least slightly different from others) and ABS, and I think Polylink-3, which are 3 layers of solid (no foam layer) plastic. The last 2 are very tough but also heavy, compared with Royalex. Kevlar and carbon laminates are custom, multilayer laminates, too, lighter than Royalex, but not as tough.

O.T. canoe question
I recently discovered that Old Town makes a lot of different models of kayaks/canoes for stores like Dick’s, Walmart, etc. They are very honest and quick in answering questions, so you might want to contact them direct for answers.

My Old Town kayak 12’ Loon weighs 49 lbs. and has gotten too difficult for me to put onto my car roof myself. IPf the canoe you’re talking about is only 30 something lbs. it’s a good buy and looks like a good boat.

Best, Arline