Finger Lakes area

Planning to be in Watkins Glen area for the coming IMSA race, then staying a few days to put some time in our new (used) kayaks -14’. We are a father and son (16, not driving yet) relatively new to kayaking.
I am looking for suitable day trips on or around the lakes. These could be leaving and returning to the same launch, or if we could find a ride back would look to the river and Canal options and longer lake trips. Not sure there is a service offering return transport.
There appear to be a lot of great options, any guidance is appreciated.
Thank you.

I suggest that you call Dave Curtis at Hemlock Canoe and ask for his recommendations. His site has a link to local stuff…that does not seem to be working. Dave is a great guy and I bet you’ll get some good tips. If he tells you any secrets you can share with me by personal message.

o:)

I do not know Seneca Lake very well, but there is a kayak place in Watkins Glen that I am sure could help. It is “Summit to Stream Adventures.” I know they rent kayaks but I know nothing of the quality. You are not too far from Trumansburg, NY on Cayuga Lake and Taughannock Falls State Park is great to paddle out of. The Finger lakes are some of the most beautiful paddling in the US and you should certainly not lack options.
David

Seneca and Cayuga Lakes are subject to wind and big waves and big motorboat traffic. Some calmer water can be found on the NW branch of Keuka Lake and the smaller Waneta and Lamoka Lakes just west of Watkins Glen in Tyrone are nice on weekdays+. Waneta Lake to Lamoka lake is a nice paddle, there is a launch on the connecting creek at a bridge on county road . Catatonk creek from Candor to Owego on the Susquehanna is nice. The Chemung River at Elmira is nice, you can easily do an up and back loop. Within an hours drive of Watkins Glen are lots of spots. .

@TomL said:
I suggest that you call Dave Curtis at Hemlock Canoe and ask for his recommendations. His site has a link to local stuff…that does not seem to be working. Dave is a great guy and I bet you’ll get some good tips. If he tells you any secrets you can share with me by personal message.

o:)

Sorry about non-functioning link on our site but we have fixed. Thanks for the heads up

http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/travelinfo.html

Hemlock Canoe