first canoe old sawyer need info for refinish

I came across this old canoe and had to have it. my main question is, what materials is it made with? and what would be the best way to restore it for river trips.

Obviously its gonna need some work so any tips or advice for someone jumping in would be awesome.

Looks like fiberglass. Is that a duct tape patch on the bottom?

idk but pretty rediculous lol. its definitly not the right material. im planning on sanding it down, repair where needed, refinish, and paint. is really as straight forward as it seems? whats the best cloth and resin for this?

I had a 1976 Macgregor fiberglass sailboat for 4 years when I lived in Hawaii, I just used home depot cloth, but make sure you use epoxy resin, its more expensive but worth the extra money. Make sure you wear a filtered mask when sanding, and sand that area and repair it with the cloth/epoxy. The inside looks fine but you could smooth it out if you wanted to. make sure you paint over the repair as epoxy and UV rays don’t get along well over time. I use marine grade only on outer hull, but you could get away with latex exterior acrylic on the inside and save a few bucks. Its hard to walk you through fiberglass repair just by writing, but there are many videos on youtube repairing boats/surfboards etc. You should at least watch a couple before you have a go at it if you haven’t done it before.

Are there any spongy spots or places where it feels like the outer layer isn’t adhered to the inner layer?

Ok thanks man. I guess once i get it sanded ill go from there

@White Crown said:
Are there any spongy spots or places where it feels like the outer layer isn’t adhered to the inner layer?

i dont think so. it seems really thin but im not used to canoes…

No problem. Good luck, not that you need luck, patching fiberglass is pretty quick to get the hang of as you go.