First canoe

I’m a kayaker looking for help in buying a canoe. It will be used by my wife and myself, two dogs (combined weight 150#) and camping gear for about 1 week. Mostly slow river and lake use. The lighter the better and preferably not over $1000. Thanks.

At that Price and use description
I’d say an Old Town Penobscot 16.

Wenonah Prospector 16 RX
I just got mine and I couldn’t be more pleased. The rocker makes for fantastic turning and I had no trouble making it go straight. It is $1095 though? God Bless. Scates

Great minds think alike
David H hit it. The Penobscot 16. Under $1000 and only 58 lbs. Though the older I get the heavier that seems.

Actually, Older…
In fact, the canoe is getting heavier. It has nothing to do with your age, but rather the age of the boat. See, it’s been acumulating miles, the canoe equivalent of calories. The more miles it accumulates, the heavier it gets. If you buy a new boat, it will feel nice & light…but ten years down the road, after it accumulates miles, it will feel heavier.

This doesn’t happen with kayaks because kayakers are always selling used boats & buying new ones. They seemed obsessed with the idea they need a different boat.

I’m glad I could help put to rest the “old age” myth.

Joe
Thanks for trying to massage my ego!! However, My Penobscot is only 6 months old. Though it has accquired quite a bit of mileage in that time. I’ll use your theory after all. Sounds like good logic to me.

P.S. The kayak logic is true too. Event hough my kayak weighs what my canoe does it feels much lighter. But, then the kayak doesn’t have near the miles the canoe has.

I hate getting old!
I’m getting too close to 50!

We have a Penob16 and like it, BUT,
I think your load will be too heavy for enjoyable paddling. We found that it bogs down with the equiv of 3 people. The Prospectors will haul you and the dogs and gear. If you’re spending most of your time on lakes and slow, deeper rivers, try to buy a used kevlar or mixed composite cruiser or tripper. Length, not just width, adds stability. If you are mostly paddling, go for secondary stability. If you’re sitting still fishing, primary stability is critical. The Prospector style boats are a nice combination of these.

Agree Prospector
We also have a Penobscot and use it as our family barge, but I think Pam is right to suggest a Prospector. Though the Penobscot is a fine choice for many situations/conditions I think with the load you’re seeking to carry a Prospector would be a better choice. Several manufacturers make them - the We-No-Nah version is particularly nice. It’s a beautifully crafted boat, steady as a rock (both initial and secondary) and is also highly maneuverable. You’ll be able to carry a massive load with a Prospector.

A couple of comments regarding dogs, FWIW: My idea of a pleasurable time on the water does not include two PIA dogs in a boat. Also part of my definition of a good neighbor in the wilderness is somebody without barking dogs. -Randall

For Lakes and Slow Rivers…
…and that large load I think you need a larger boat than the 16’ Penobscot. I think something like the Wenonah Spirit II would work well, or a Mad River Revelation. Look for a Spirit on sale in the tuffweave (Wenonah’s version of fiberglass) or royalex and it will be right arround 1K. The other hull that would work would be the Mad River Explorer (oops, forgot, Mad River now calls HALF of their boats Explorers). Those boats hold up well, and you see used ones arround here all the time. The Revelation is the heavier boat of the two, but if you’re not making a lot of portages it should be no problem. Another boat to consider would be a Wenonah Champlain. You may have to search a bit to find one of those for 1K, though. And Joe, thanks for clearing that up, I KNEW I wasn’t getting weaker, and those boats WERE getting heavier! WW

DavidH… don’t hate getting old. Do yo

– Last Updated: Apr-14-05 11:00 AM EST –

realize that the alternative to getting old is not being here at all. And I'm getting close to 60, been eligible to retire for 1 1/2 yrs but I'm just having too much fun. The body doesn't quite respond like it once did, but I can still do everthing I did when I was younger, just not as long or as well.

Happy Paddlin'
Grandpa Paddler

Jonathan
Any interest in the Pymotuming trip this weekend? It’s on the “Getting Together” board.

Coleman Scanoe is 1 option
I’ve got a 16’ Coleman Scanoe (Flat back). Great for 2 people and my 3 dogs + gear. It is very stable, read I stand and fish out of it, made to go straight (multiple ribs on bottom), durable (ram-x material). Drawback-- ± 140 lbs. Can load with one person on top of SUV but your back will not thank you. Impossible to paddle up-stream or in heavy winds. Not very maneuverable in rapids.

It kicks butt with 5 hp motor on back ± 13 mph! Good with Trolling motor!

It is my one person fishing boat that doesn’t require a trailer (which is why I bought it)

How do you feel about maintenance?
Aluminum boats are completely maintenance free and flatbottoms can be very stable. If you want something that will last for years and you can leave out in the snow all winter, aluminum is the way to go. Look for a model with the keel inside and constructed of an aluminun alloy.

Suntan

Does the term ‘aluminumness’ ring any
bells? Clarion, I just shot you an email.

Encouraging words!

Thanks for all
the ideas. I never have liked aluminum because of the noise factor. Waiting for a good used prospector sounds about the best way to go or I can build one. My wife and I will have to learn how to paddle canoes as we’re only used to kayaks. Thanks again for all the input.

If You Build It…
…people will drool! The Prospector is one great looking boat! Finding a used one may be difficult, particularly one in reasonable ready-to-go condition.

When you guys start paddling the canoe together, check back here for some more tips. If not done properly, the canoe that is your water dancing partner will become a “divorce boat”!

My wife & I have been paddling a Prospector for darn close to 20 years now, with frequent trips into the Adirondacks and the many waters that surround the park. We’ve learned what works when a husband & wife share a boat…and what doesn’t. And we learn more with each outing.

The one thing my wife NEVER learned to do was pick up the Prospector, place it on her shoulders and carry the boat o the water. I know she’s smarter than a box of rocks. I don’t understand why she hasn’t learned this simple technique yet.

We paddle
a tandem kayak occasionally and we have no problems. People say we paddle in sync even when we’re on opposite sides of a river.

Here is a link to the canoe we are thinking of building. What do you think? We have experience building strip kayaks.

http://www.noahsmarine.com/United_States/Strip_Canoes-us/Canoe_Plans-us/Prospector-us/prospector-us.html

Bear Mountain Plans
If memory serves, the Bear Mountain plans are by Ted Moore, author of “CanoeCraft” and are quite good.

Order today to be paddling as soon as possible!