First canoe!

Just got my 1st ever canoe to take the kid fishing, so tired of being limited to shore fishing. Mounted it over our other toys so the wife would have no complaint on lost garage space :wink:

Now I only need to work on the next problem: zero paddling experience :#

Congratulations, can’t go wrong with an Aurora! Don’t skimp on the paddles! (Sweet KZ900 too!)

Nice looking boat - and nicely neat garage as well.

Zero paddling experience? Here’s your first lesson: ALWAYS wear a life jacket. They make nice ones specifically for paddling.

Second lesson: Take the kid and you to a canoe instructor for a lesson… It will save lots of angst as you start out. The fish are trying to outwit you… Don’t let the canoe add to that outwitting.

Thanks all! I actually already bought the life jackets during REI winter sale last year. I’ll probably first try to solo it Canadian style before carrying any precious cargo with me. I might sound reckless buying a canoe with 0 paddling experience, but I’m no longer that kid whose mind was full of stoppie/wheelie before getting his motorcycle endorsement :wink:

@thegreatgazoo
You’re not alone. I had zip paddling experience when I bought my first kayak. Had never been in a kayak (or a canoe). It wasn’t a box-store boat, but with only one sealed bulkhead not a safe boat per the standards here. Remedied that six weeks later. Now up to four, where I’m stopping (unless I find a really good deal on a surfski).

@thegreatgazoo said:
Thanks all! I actually already bought the life jackets during REI winter sale last year. I’ll probably first try to solo it Canadian style before carrying any precious cargo with me. I might sound reckless buying a canoe with 0 paddling experience, but I’m no longer that kid whose mind was full of stoppie/wheelie before getting his motorcycle endorsement :wink:
I have visions of taking Path of the Paddle in a big zip loc bag and trying to paddle like Bill Mason! Good Luch! I couldn’t read and paddle at the same time!
For safety its all about what is between your ears and I think you have that nailed. The effortlessness of getting from a to b …well that will come with time.

Congrats, she’s a beauty! Solving your current ‘problem’ of no paddling experience will be a fun project!