First ever Florida Panther sighting yesterday

It was too windy and a terrible tide, so we took the mountain bikes and pedaled in the wilderness of the Everglades instead of paddling.
It watched us and we watched it for several minutes. Then it would go a few feet and repeat the process, until it finally eased off into the dense growth…
No pictures, we were too enthralled with watching it watch us!
We have been looking for one for 30 years, and now can take it off the “bucket list”

Jack L

Probably deciding if you would make a good meal.

Congrats that it stuck aroind so long!
I saw one once for ten seconds in Big Cypress

Mountain lions used to be rarely spotted in town, but people living out in the sticks would have them come around from time to time. That has changed; now they are likely to be seen in many residential areas around our town. Now when I ride my bike near any forested area, I feel somewhat vulnerable. When I go out cutting firewood, I almost always carry a sidearm.

I did see a mountain lion at one of the local golf courses a couple of times, but it lived there. It was the caretakers pet.

The only encounter I remember was with a couple of bobcats. I was on my motorcycle up in the woods and came across two cats. One took off right away, but the other one just stood there and checked me out. I didn’t quite know what to do , because this cat wasn’t the least bit afraid of me. I got the feeling it was trying to decide whether I was something it would like to eat. I thought about turning around and making an exit, but the idea of turning my back to that animal didn’t seem right. After a very uncomfortable few minutes of revving my engine and trying to act aggressive, the cat finally turned and sauntered away. When I passed by the brush where the cat left the road, I was on the throttle and didn’t look back.

The only bobcat I’ve seen in the wild was on a creek off the Waccamaw River . As soon as we made eye contact , he melted away into the brush.

That is so cool, Jack. Congratulations on the sighting.

@Rex said:
That is so cool, Jack. Congratulations on the sighting.

We’ll be heading back that way again on no paddling but good pedaling days.
We had a long talk with the guy that owns the local bike shop here and he gave us lot of good info on wilderness trails in that same vicinity

What a wonderful moment!

You sure that wasn’t a Carolina Panther hiding out after the last game? :slight_smile:

@grayhawk said:
You sure that wasn’t a Carolina Panther hiding out after the last game? :slight_smile:

Positive, and also it didn’t have a hockey uniform on.

I gotta look up FL panther to see a pic. I’ve encountered mtn lions and bobcats near our homes before but no panthers except in zoos.

That was your serendipitous reward for going cycling!

@pikabike said:
I gotta look up FL panther to see a pic. I’ve encountered mtn lions and bobcats near our homes before but no panthers except in zoos.

Mountain lions were cross bred with Fla Panthers to strengthen the species. They look nearly alike.

JackL…
Carolina Panthers…are nfl not nhl.

Jack referred to The Florida Panthers who are NHL…

Jack - Are the Florida panthers any smaller or the same size as mountain lions?

@Celia said:
Jack - Are the Florida panthers any smaller or the same size as mountain lions?

They are smaller and their coloring varies from tawny, to grayish, to light blackish.
I recently read an article from the Florida Wildlife Division that there are only about a hundred left.
They are very timid and shy and would never attack

Very cool Jack!

Panther, catamount, puma, cougar, mountain lion are common names for the same animal. The FL Panther is a subspecies of mountain lion. As a kid camping in south FL I have heard them scream, and once saw what i thought was one at night crossing in my headlights. There is only one recorded incident of a man being jumped by a FL Panther back in the 1800s, but it wasn’t fatal and the cat ran off.

My Dad once saw a Jaguarundi (A smaller South and Central American relative of the Puma) in Ocala National forest. Someone released them back in the 50s.

I have seen several Mountain Lions in Colorado while hunting elk with my bow. Calling to elk while hunting can bring in a hunting Mountain Lion. I have been stalked twice. The first time was after dark. It left me alone once I was in the open. After that I carried a side arm. The second one stalked to within 30 feet of me before I spotted it. It took two rounds from my 45 to scare it off.

Most of the time they are seen “sleeping” on the side of the highway after a failed crossing.