First gel coat repair attempt = not good

Moisture Cure Urethane
As Jsaults mentions, this product is most likely a moisture cured urethane (as opposed to a two part system with “hardener”). Once opened it should be used with any remaining material being discarded. Cure will be dependent on film thickness, temperature, and especially relative humidity (atmospheric moisture content. It should be used as a crack filler and not body (large, deep area) filler.

To be on the safe side I would allow 7 days of cure time before applying gel coat. To ensure adequate intercoat adhesion it is probably a good idea to scuff sand (with fine grit paper) the cured crack filler before gel coat application.

Ahh heck Brian
Just get some Krylon Fusion and spray paint it.

That’s what I do. I highly recommend the pink color.

I should have just used JB Weld

… then pink Krylon on top.

Yes I do think you are stupid
Do not quote Wiki at me, I’ve forgotten more about coatings than you’ll ever learn !!

Another question
Smart arse, what about the clear version ?

You are missed on the other board.

Thanks Clarion!
It used to take Doc, Pyker and myself to fire up this much troublemaking! You are the equivalent of three men!

Jim

Exactly.
From one coatings technologist to another.

Thank you
Unfortunately I’m too busy with work (new job) to get into the daily “yah boo” activities at the moment. Perhaps in the next month or so !

This whole thread should be shot

What a cluster fork.

“Will this stuff make future repairs to a vynal ester laminite problematic?”

No! Just wet it out with orange juice and rest assured it’s got a UV inhibitor.

I wanna know what PC-8 is.

LOL
If this were my thread, I would do the following:

Open WordPad/Notepad/

Cut and Paste relevant info - what the product is, where to get MSDS, how it cures

Ax the thread

Repost relevant info

PC-8. Hmmmmmmm.
Maybe it is PC-something else.

PC-7 is a 2-part gray epoxy for general purpose repairs. It works particularly well for adhering golf balls, ceramic tile, metal and wood to glass bottles.

I was thinking that PC-8 was the white version. Might be some other number… Memory bad.

Jim

Curious Clarion …did it shrink at all?
Never used PC-7 for repairs to be sprayed with Gel Coat but another product Marine-Tex is not real happy having gel coat sprayed over it … or rather the gelcoat is not happy. West Systems 410 needs to sit a while too before.

well cockney , sounds like you …

– Last Updated: Mar-09-11 1:12 PM EST –

...... are pretty puffed up on yourself .

1st you claim (feel) that my link to wiki. about the use of Titanium Dioxide as a "photo catalyst" was supplied merely for your sole benefit ...

(quote - "don't quote wiki at me" - end quote) ...

in actuality , although you were included (and to counter your incorrectness that Titanium Dioxide "is Not a catalyst) , it was my motive to bring some edu. value to the discussion for the benefit of all interested ... in specific , the use of Titanium Dioxide as a "photo catalyst" ...

Further , with your self proclaimed VAST knowledge about "coatings" , much of which (you claim) is long forgotten and of which (you claim) is more than I will ever know ... you make "no" response that enlightens or aids others to gain any understanding about the use of photo-catalyst , or for that matter "catalyst" in general that are used in many forms of 1k moisture cure coatings ... 1k ployurethanes not being an exception to this fact .

clarion's OP stated he used a "gelcoat" (quote - I used a one part gelcoat ...) , so gelcoat was the topic at first . Further he stated he "added" a white pigment (as in not already mixed in the 1k formular) .

In the beginnings of this thread , at that time without knowing clarion's product was NOT a true polyester gelcoat (how could we ??) , although the the 1k was suspicious ... there following were questions/suggestions made relating to the addition of a catalyst , and other gelcoat related help tips to aid in the cure process which seemed to be where clarion's original concern was (OP quote - "the gelcoat has not set up" - end quote) ... and a suspicion arised that clarion's product was NOT really a gelcoat .

In my 1st response I asked the question , and a legit one , "what is a one part gelcoat" ?? ... to which immediately following clarion posted the link to his Evercoat Scratch Patch product . Shortly after Jsaults posted the MSDS link to this product and it became clear that clarion's Scratch Patch was indeed Not a polyester gelcoat , but rather a poly-urethane .

That enlightenment changed the subject topic to poly-urethanes . In that context I entered the use of "photo catalyst" and catalyst in general being used in 1k moisture cure coatings into the topic discussion (ie., 1k polyurethanes included) . I noticed that TiO2 (Titanium Dioxide) was an ingredient and wondered if it may be being used as a "photo-catalyst" (I suggested the possibilty) . Jsaults offered that he knows of TiO2 as a white pigment but "maybe" it could be being used in a dual purpose .

one correction/clarification

FWIW, The “non-gel coat” crap (in hindsight) I used was white. The pigment I added was to turn it a different color.

Pat, here is a link to what I used

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=102

It’s not PC-Anything. That was just another red herring thrown into this virus of a thread.

It does not seem to have shrunk.

See my post above. PC-11
I wasn’t sure if that’s what you meant.

Got it … was replying / relating info
towards the PC filler guys. : )

what about the clear version cockney ???
… with your vast and massive understandings of the chemisties involved in the formulations of coatings , 1k poly-urethanes , 2k coatings , moisture cure coatings , etc. … what about the clear version ??

What do you want to know ??

I may be able to offer some aid in the understanding of the chemistries and formulations used in the coatings industry . I have at my disposal an intense library of technical and scientific chemistry data to draw from … further I am a registered member in stewardship with Bayer Material Sciences NAFTA .

I can not say specifically about the Evercoat formulations of their products because I do not possess their priority data , but chances are they follow basic industry formulations standards for the most part .

I understand such things to a fairly high level of complexity and am probably able to carry on an intelligent discussion about them … not that I really care to go into the extreme chemistry details related to the end products often brought up on this site such as polymer resins and poly-urethanes , etc. … especially with a knucklehead who calls me a stupid smart arse (yes , that means you cockney) !!