First kayak camping trip next week!

Sufficient batteries or a solar charging station are definitely a must for the EC. And a way to keep them dry.

Chiefs requirements:
http://www.watertribe.com/PDF/MustRead/WaterTribeRequiredEquipment2020.pdf

also from the Tribe site.
http://www.watertribe.com/PDF/PackingLite.pdf

1 Like

A small deck mounted waterproof solar charger would sure be handy, but would take a little ingenuity to rig properly.

Oh, for those over 50ish, creatine monohydrate, SixStar brand at Walmart is good nothing else in it, 5 gr before and after a long paddle, increases endurance and prevents soreness, natural compound our bodies make, but we make less of it as we age.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t spend a lot of time or $$ on solar to keep cell phone going. As I recall service rapidly goes away. the farther you get from Everglades City.

1 Like

I have a power brick to charge phone, VHF etc. I do use the phone for pictures, but yes there is not much service (if any) out there.

Just a few ideas to add comfort. Some necessary and some not.

A good waterproof headlamp with AAA rechargeable batteries and a backup, a solar Luci light with or without USB output are what I use for lights. Water a gallon a day is what I carry, but never use it all either. No-see-um mesh head nets and tent screens, and a small battery powered fan when thereā€™s hot nights. A crazy creek type chair that provides back support sitting up in a tent, or on the beach is nice. I will carry a small backpacking chair too if camping from a kayak or canoe, but neither when backpacking. Too much weight.

I carry long, 2ā€™ wide strips of polytarp to cover the windward side of the gap between the fly and the tent. I lay it long ways with about a foot covering the gap, and use beach sand holding the other half down. This helps to reduce the amount of windblown sand gathering on stuff in the tent. I camp on the beach, if possible, so if there is any wind it keeps the bugs down. The strips fold up and take up no room or add much weight. I only use them when the wind is blowing hard enough to lift the beach sand.

1 Like

On a training trip there will not be any wind layover days.

I usually pack water in two liter soda bottles but if you get one stuck in the bow ( I did) its best to have lines attached to it and any gear that might get similarly wedged. Dragging a boat onto a chickee to unwedge stuff was not fun.
I use some light carabiners and two lines to secure and snug up my boat to the chickee ladders Secure them high up on the ladder and you can stand and exit gracefullyā€¦ and enter toā€¦ remember not to weight the outward water side of the boat.

You need a headlampā€¦ You have to do some serious mileage and the best way is to paddle early. We get up at three am and are packed and on water by 4:30 amā€¦ WInd and chop usually comes around 9:30. The flip side of this is during the Challenge you will be paddling much farther and have to know how to deal with the wind and the tide and interaction of the two so maybe timing is not crucial.
The cell phone actually may work now and then.I was able to call for help from Pavilion to the ranger station. Otherwise donā€™t depend on it.
If you are chickee campingā€¦ ie doing the WW you need a minimum of stuff but a timetable to set it upā€¦ The chickee dance around tents is amusing and dropping silverware through the cracks means its goneā€¦ Most of the EC people I think take the Gulf routeā€¦ beachesā€¦ Have good beach shoes if you will be camping there. Sandals and crocs are less desirable for one reasonā€¦ sandspurs. Its a nasty grass.

1 Like

Spare paddle, compass, snacks, and water on deck (or in camelback). A bivy sack for your pad and sleeping bag helps keep your bed clean, and dry if breathable and waterproof. Compression bag of breathable waterproof fabric for reducing the volume of clothes and sleeping bag and keeping them dry.

3 Likes

About a month ago i spent 3 days kayaking and camping out of everglades city. Noseeum spray is a must, i suggest keeping some handy if you get into camp towards dusk! Also lookup the tide times just before you leave as it can make landing/leaving much easier at high tide versus low tide. I remember on 1 trip staying at a chicktee, we arrived at high tide, easy to unload the kayaks but left at low tide. And climbed down the ladder 3 extra feet when loading. Some of the islands have a very shallow bay surrounding them. Low tide can be 50 + fo from the high tide line.

There are plenty of you tube videos about what to take for backpacking. You can get the core stuff down to 15 lbs if you are rich enough. Things I discovered recently:
Food available w/o refrigeration: precooked bacon (who knew?) and tuna salad. Turning on airplane mode makes your phoneā€™s battery last 4x longer. Folgers coffee comes in tea bags. A water filter that fits Smart Water bottles. $3 Ikea waterproof bags. USB headlamp so you can recharge it from your power brick. Stok coffee bottles donā€™t roll.
Things I brought and didnā€™t need: ground cloth, 1st aid (bring it anyway), way too much food and fuel. Thing I forgot: trowel.
Not much daylight this time of year, so reading material may be critical.

2 Likes

Actually in the Everglades , the sunrise and sunset intervals do not vary muchā€¦ Daylight in Everglades City is almost 11 hours long. And most anyone who has paddled there knows the sun goes THONK. No twilight really. Night paddling is very possible. For recreational paddlers wanting to make some miles, it is mandatory. There is no fresh water per se in the usual route. ( I have gathered some way up in the sawgrass) so a water filter is one thing I never take. A desalinator is nice but way out of my budget, so I am committed to the 8 lbs a day water weight.
Weight is not so much an issue as volume. You donā€™t want anything unnecessary on the deck .

Sounds awesome. I have done several multi day solo trips. Mostly ocean trips in Alaska. I keep a standing check list of every item. I adjust depending on how long Iā€™m out and other conditions. I use a 2.5 gallon soft plastic container for my water. I carry what I call a ā€œmaintenance bagā€ which is a 10liter waterproof bag that has a first aid kit, a small shovel size of your hand (for digging poop holes!), rope (which you can also use to cache food in the trees), a multipurpose knife and many other similar items. I develop a routine where I know exactly which hatch has my camp gear, my food and cooking gear, etc. as others have saidā€¦.practice a few times at home.

Congrats on that upcoming trip!
Iā€m in firm agreement with those advocating flexible containers for water. As it gets used theyā€™ll take less and less room. Important too is the idea that small dry bags zips etc pack far more easily in the compartments of the boat. For camping on sand you might also want to be aware that most camp chairs with their pole type legs will sink deeply into the sand. Consider a chair with a wider base; something like a Crazy Creekā€¦ Cover the ground with a nylon sheet and you wonā€™t deal with moisture and sand all over it and you. Oh yeah; Iā€™d also think of bringing a Thermacell device.

1 Like

Do you know if youā€™re going the coastal route or the wilderness waterway?
I was looking at the maps last night and clocked the WW as just over 90 miles.
Whichever route you take Iā€™ll be watching for an AAR (After Action Report). :wink:

More and more I want to spend some time paddling down there.

1 Like

We have changed the plan a bit to do a loop from Goodland. Partly on the outside with a bit of the Wilderness Waterway. We couldnā€™t find a way to get picked up or otherwise get out of Flamingo. Still 4 nights, probably 3 nights at beach sites and one on a chickee.

It is understandable. Flamingo is about 35 miles inside the Everglades park gate. Its a long ways from anything.

You will bring too much gear and learn from your experience.

3 Likes

Most definitely- but it will be a good trial to see what works and what doesnā€™t, especially for food.

I like the 10,000 islands area north of Everglades City. The reservation system ENP has now is crazy. Used to have to be there to register. Now online book in advance and you can not stay at one chickee more than once. Hopefully your companions are aware of this ( probably are). North of the park you need not reserve anythingā€¦