First kayak camping trip next week!

Yes, we made our reservations yesterday and will pick up our permits at Everglades City on Wednesday. Current plan (it has changed a few times!) is Everglades City - Lopez River - Turkey Key - Lostmans Five - Crooked Creek - Everglades City.

Looks like a nice loop. Northerners are jealous. Have a great time!

1 Like

Sounds like a great first kayak camping trip.

1 Like

Weather looks fantastic - highs in the low 80s, lows in the high 60s. Mostly light winds with a nice tailwind on Saturday. Hoping the bugs arenā€™t too bad but I know that is probably wishful thinking. At least we havenā€™t had much rain lately.

95% packed. Itā€™s really fun to do this in a tiny house (sailboat) - good motivation to finish as I couldnā€™t sit down until I did!

Kayak is on the car. One more work day, some last minute stuff tomorrow, and then a really early wake up call on Wednesday to be at Everglades City at 8am.

If no one I your group has one, a satellite GPS messenger device is a good investment, especially for areas without cell phone service. I carry the SPOT X, one push of a button and it transmits my GPS coordinates, which will be relayed to the appropriate agencies. I can also text on it to relay important info about why I may need help or even for non emergency purposes. You also have to purchase a plan but they are pretty cheap and you can add in rescue insurance.

1 Like

Brodie is going in the Everglades Challenge. SPOT usage and check in is required to participate in that race. Fail to use it and yer out.

2 Likes

Yep, I already have a SPOT and PLB. Both are required. Iā€™ll be sure to post the tracking link for the race once itā€™s up and running.

3 Likes

I may be watching you from afar while I am on a beach with a backcountry margarita with no internet but it would be fun seeing your progress!

2 Likes