first kayak purchase - Cobra Navigator?

I am looking to purchase my first kayak. I plan to use it mostly on lakes, creeks and slow moving rivers, however I may take it in the ocean surf, too. I definitely plan to take along a dog, sometimes 2 (not in the surf) and so I have been given the recommendation to get a sit-on-top. I am looking at the Cobra Navigator and would like some feedback on this boat. Any pros and cons you can offer would be very helpful, or suggestions for other models.

I am a novice (have paddled a lot of canoes, though). If it matters, I am 5’6", 32" inseam and about 110 lbs. My dogs are 50 and 40 lbs.

I have a car top carrier but would like to keep the weight low, though I can roll it up from the hatch of my Subaru. Portaging is a concern.

I am really attracted to the Hobie kayaks, with the foot drive, the snap on wheels, and the ability to add a sail kit later, but the price is a huge turn off.

Thanks in advance!

I had …
the Cobra Escape and I did love it, but I find it pron to stress cracks. Both I got one and a friend who has the Explorer got one as well. We both repaired them and my repair lasted, but her’s came back again.

They do track very well and are comfortable, but can be tippy at first - then you get use to it. They don’t hold water out of your kayaks. We would find water in ours a lot. Wasn’t fond of the hatches after a while – too many latches.

Just wanted to give you a heads up.

I sold mine and upgraded to a Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12 and I love this kayak!

Oh …
… and two dogs … you are bold! Take a pic of that for all of us to see.

Cobra Navigator
I’ve had the Navigator for about 4 years. This is the model before it became the Navigator XF, which has a little moore deck space for rods which added a few pounds. Still . I think it is basically the same boat. I like my Navigator a lot. I take it out in all kinds of water under all kinds of conditions. It is vert stable and is fast enough for me. It is also light enough for me to esily car top. I think you will have pleanty of room for the dogs too.

Kayaking - Keep it simple
I know some folks love their Hobbie peddle boats. My first kayak was a Hobie Tandem, it was well made and well designed sit-on-top, but not very high performance.

I enjoy kayaking because it is a very simple way to become one with the water. Your body, your boat and the paddle, combining with the dance of the waves and you move without much effort very efficienttly, like people have done for tens of thousands of years. I keep my kayaks in or on my car and it takes a few minutes to be in or on the boat paddling.

I watch the folks with the peddle drive …carry the heavy boat, then the peddle system then peddle around, and they also need a paddle if they are in any kind of rough water, they cant go in shallow water or rock gardens… the whole thing kills what I like about kayaks… and as you say they are very expensive… you can get out on the water in a decent used kayak from Craigslist for $300-$400 dollars, I suggest you do that first and try a couple of different boats and see what you like to do.

trying to reply and need a subject?
thanks for the feedback so far. The Navigator looks very promising, and those were very good points about the Hobie Mirage drive that I hadn’t really considered.

Will do. It should be funny–especially since one of my dogs is only just a year old and still very much a puppy (who LOVES swimming). I plan on getting wet a lot.

reply to request for pictures
opps, I’m having technical difficulties with this forum. Part of my last post didn’t show up, it should have looked like this:

{Posted by: beccka on Sep-26-08 3:24 PM (EST)

… and two dogs … you are bold! Take a pic of that for all of us to see.}

Will do. It should be funny–especially since one of my dogs is only just a year old and still very much a puppy (who LOVES swimming). I plan on getting wet a lot.