First Kayak

I’ve canoed for years and took my first kayak trip down the Current River this spring using a cheap fishing kayak. I really enjoyed the experience, but think it’d be more fun to have a more agile and capable kayak. I test paddled the Rogue 9 and Dagger Katana, but I didn’t like how they handled without the skeg (which wouldn’t be useful in the shallows). Both fit my 5’9" 170 lbs frame well.

I’m looking at the Boreal Design Ookpik and Elie Strait 120 XE. I’d like to have a boot that I can take down rivers, into lakes, and explore caves. Suggestions?

Whitewater Handling
With the skeg up they are both going to handle more like a whitewater kayak, which what they are both designed to do.

white water handling
I appreciate the design, I just don’t like it. I’d rather have a boat that tracks better in the shallows vice the agility of the Rogue / XP / Katana / etc. I’d also prefer sealed bulkheads in bow AND stern.

Lots to choose from
First off, whats your budget? How long a kayak do you want? A 12 foot or 14 foot or…?

A SUV of kayaks are Wilderness Systems Tsunami’s. Many sizes, track well have both front and rear hatches but kinda a boring kayak at least to me but a great loaner kayak as I could put anyone into it with no worries.

BUT there are many others too. Not sure if you have any kayaks shops or maybe a EMS store near you but I would look to see what models they carry and then come back here and say I can get this model or that model depending on what a local store might carry.

Example the local EMS near me carry’s mainly Wilderness Systems brand kayaks.

yak yak
I’m open to the idea of a 14’ kayak, but worry about navigating tight spots on winding rivers. I figured 12’ would be a good compromise. I’ve budgeted about a grand on the boat itself, understanding the need for several hundred in paddle, vest, skirt, etc. But if I need to spend more up front to get into a decent boat then so be it.

ok
12 foot tsunami, front and rear hatches around your price range.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/tsunami/tsunami-120

or a Jackson Journey 13

http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks-4/recreational-touring-kayaks/journey/

At 12 feet its harder to find ones with both front and rear hatches. Iam sure there are others. if you go to 14 feet its easier to find ones with front and rear hatches. The Journey is 13 feet though.

On tsunami models the odd number ones are larger volume so the 125 even though only slightly longer than the 120 its also wider and a higher deck for a larger person.

Venture Islay
If you can find a dealer, the British made Venture Islay 14 is a nice boat around your price range. I’ve got their Easky 15, the model that preceded the Islay. Very nimble and maneuverable kayaks, more fun to paddle than the ponderous Tsunamis. I’ve taken the Easky on narrow Class 1 and 2 streams and had no trouble negotiating.

Sure but OP said 12 feet
Sure if the OP is willing to go longer than 12 feet its much easier to find a kayak like what you suggest below but he said he wanted only up to 12 feet. Alot harder to find one with hatches at 12 feet.At 14 he could also go with a Dagger Alchemy which is a more nimble kayak than a Tsunami, but the Tsunami’s are what I call the SUV of kayaks, can do alot but nothing great. At 14 feet there are many kayaks too choose from. At 12 feet that have 2 hatches the choices are less.

Quote:

If you can find a dealer, the British made Venture Islay 14 is a nice boat around your price range. I’ve got their Easky 15, the model that preceded the Islay. Very nimble and maneuverable kayaks, more fun to paddle than the ponderous Tsunamis. I’ve taken the Easky on narrow Class 1 and 2 streams and had no trouble negotiating. END Quote

The Islay 12 is also now avaliable
http://www.venturekayaks.com/kayaks.php?kayak=Islay%2012

(actually, in both high and low volume versions the length is ~12.5 ft)

In the same length range, the OP might consider the Riot kayaks Edge 13 which is often quite reasonably priced new.

http://www.riotkayaks.com/edge13.php