First Time Buying - Need Selection Help!

Point65 Mercury? 14’ but 2x5’ and one 4’ piece. Bow/nose one fits into the cockpit so it’d just be two 5’ sections to store. Sections can store vertically. Each main section @33lbs. Not as close of a fit to the cockpit but the hull paddles quite nicely.

I have one in the Store if you’d like photos.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Email: marshall@the-river-connection.com
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

Here’s mine tossed in the back of my Outlander. I put the pieces in on their sides and still have plenty of room for my other stuff while traveling. It will also fit in the back seat area of my F-150 crew cab:

1 Like

I read your wishes and experience and what you want to do, and even before you mentioned the Stratos, that’s where I was going.
I own the 14.5L, never once have I ever thought of it being tippy… not even close.
It’s the Swiss Army knife of kayaks, does everything pretty good… some are faster, some hold more gear, some are lighter… but she’s a great boat.

4 Likes

Ruzi,

I was much in the same situation as you, but I also had the added benefit of being 6’4" tall and built like a linebacker!

I wanted a SUV of boats, able to carry 100+lbs of camping gear, good for long distances, and could handle rough(er) waters.

I looked at many many boats, and most of the ones listed here so far couldn’t fit my frame (read that my fat ass.). The only boats that I could fit in in a touring/sea kayak were the Boreal Baffin P3, the Jackson Journey and the Wilderness Tsunami.

I quickly ruled out the Boreal, since it’s composite and rocks, and rocky shores and I seem to have this ongoing love affair, it was also the tightest fit of the three that I could fit.

So that left me with the Jackson Journey at 14ft. and the Wilderness Tsunami’s at 12, 14, 16 and 17ft. Ultimately I opted for the Tsunami in 17ft, as it had the greatest cargo capacity at 400lbs. Now considering I weigh 250 in just shorts that only left me with 150lbs of gear. So when you consider paddle, bilge pump, hydration pack, and all the other boat accouterments it really didn’t leave me much over my 100lb camping load out.

Unfortunately this boat does come in heavy, at 68lb, it’s definitely heavier than you want. but it’s tough as nails. I took it on a 30 mile river tour, thought the entire river was class 0-1 tops! turns out that there is a 1 mile section that is class 2, after a few hard bounces (it’s fast and easy to paddle but turns in about a fortnight.) and no damage it’s safe to say that the added weight was worth it.

Of course the phase 3 seating is fantastic which was also one of my deciding factors.

I’ve done a few races in it, a 10 mile one, came in second in my class, and first in my age group, 9th over all (8 surf skis, and the 20 something in a boreal that beat me in.)

I did a 15 mile race too, came in first in that one out of about 50 boats in my class. the Chop on the delaware River was about 18" and my Tsunami surfed it like a champ. So much so that I came in 1st, Overall, In Boat class, and in my Age Group (old fart.) I I was running against quite a few composite high end boats. (honestly I didn’t think I had a chance, so much so my boat is named the LongShot.)

The Tsunami 125 (12ft boat) comes with a 300lb capacity and weighs in at 51lb. I haven’t paddled it but it has basically the same lines as my 17ft Tsunami, so it should also go. However as others here have stated a 14ft boat would be the better choice. And that Tsunami, will tip the scales at 53 lbs, but for 2 lbs more you basically get 25lbs more cargo capacity.

My son, who just turned 14, and has graduated out of his kiddie kayak, wants a Tsunami after sitting in mine and paddling. however he doesn’t want the 17 footer I have, and wants the 14 ft one. So come march, I’ll be ordering one for him.

Why, well a longer boat will handle rougher waters better, it’ll track better, and generally go faster, which translates to less paddling effort. after I explained this to my son he opted to go from 12 ft to 14.

So in short that would be my recommendation on boat length.

Also just so you know where I am coming from, I cut my teeth in the late 70’s doing whitewater in 3m boats, and poke boats. in the 2000’s I moved into touring/camping boats and my current stable of boats I have play ocean surfing boats, Fishing boats, a few Box store boats (let friends use them.) and my old perceptions Dancer from my white water days.

1 Like

I am going to second IraB’s recommendation for an Eddyline. I have the Rio (just under 12’), and I absolutely love it. If I had it to do again I’d might go with the longer Sitka, which is still pretty light. But the Rio is only 35 pounds, and a primary concern for me was also being able to car top it alone. The Rio also has a snug cockpit, meant for smaller framed paddlers; the Sitka comes in three size options, providing an option that would likely work for most paddlers.

If you ever come across a Baffin P3 (plastic version) I urge you to just buy it. I’ve had a P2 for several years and I’d have a very difficult time ever selling it. the plastic versions are a bit heavy, though. They also make the Baffin in thermoformed but they’re few and far between. Mine has the older seat which I like, but later models came with the adjustable model I believe. Regardless, the Baffin is a wonderful boat.

2 Likes

Craig_F, you do know your Tsunamis, and I have no doubt about your placement in those competitions. I paddled the 125 at 255 lbs (didn’t know at the time I grossly overloaded the reasonable limit) and have logged times that come close to the 145. I have a skirt, but never used it on any of the boats. While reading and contributing to this thread, I decided to put on the skirt and take the 125 out in a blow. I’ve been out in waves that cascaded across the front deck like someone lifting a sheet pan under water. The same waves in the 145 and 175 part likebthe Red Sea. I’m in the upper Chesapeake Bay. Tsunamis are not fast boats, but they have carrying capacity, rock solid stability, and powering them is like a workout on the gym. Although that seems like a handicap, as the season progresses, average mph drops with each trip as your workout adds power and stamina.

I’m curious what paddle you use.

Hi. I just want to say that I have a Dagger Axis 10.5. I love the skeg. It’s rockered like the Stratos but only has the one sealed compartment. The rocker keeps it manoeuvrable on twisty rivers and the skeg down keeps it straight. V hull with good secondary stability. I was worried about stability since I was used to a flat hull Pelican but the Dagger is awesome. I think the Stratos would be worth looking at. I stayed short for space but if you can do 12 go for it.

OPer is getting recommendations to try for 14 ft, she wants to use in in salty water. Axis is not the best choice there.

1 Like

is that center cockpit section buoyant/stable :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: by itself?

1 Like

If I ever try it I’ll be sure to have someone video it so you can all laugh at the results. :laughing:

Have you looked into these? I know a person that has one and they appear well built.

Hi, Jyak…

I’ve been using a Accent Kauai Carbon (230cm and 220cm) carbon fiber shaft resin filled poly pro blades (101 Sq in, 652 sq cm) namely because I’m very hard on kayak blades.

(actually rolled my car over the blade no damage.)

if you look at my blades they’re all scratched up and edges are getting fuzzy from shallow launchings.

I just bought a Aqua bound Whiskey Fiberglass (225cm), its same weight as my Accent little smaller surface are than the accent, but lighter in it’s rotational weight. The blades on the whiskey are lighter in mass than on the accent, so swinging them about should be easier in the long run.

My plan… since I like I said am hard on paddle blades, is to use the Accent for launch, and once out to use the whiskey for long haul, so I don’t tire as much, then if needed in the chop to use the Accent when I need the additional power it’s larger blades can afford me.

By the by, I am a all the time high angle paddler. having done both the 3, 10 and 15 mile races in that fashion.