First time kayak purchase

I am looking into buying a kayak and was hoping for suggestions or recommendations for the best brands / most affordable. I am a small 100lb female/5ft tall so I’m not opposed to considering child sized kayaks. I’m mostly looking for leisure kayaking, on lakes and slower moving rivers, and handles well. I’m setting a budget for $400 including a paddle, and since I am on the smaller size, kayak weight is a concern for me. To get the best bang for my buck, I am fine with buying used kayaks. Any tips for my search will be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Always helpful
to provide geographical information by filling out your profile. Leisure paddling on what type of lakes? Inland? Great Lakes?

Borrow and save
It might be a good idea to borrow friends boats and paddles until you can save some more. A decent paddle costs $150 and a decent used boat costs $400. Try a lot different kind of boats. Join a local paddling club. Then you’ll find what you want. The best used boats get offered to club members first and often are available on a payment plan among friends.

Borrow and save
It might be a good idea to borrow friends boats and paddles until you can save some more. A decent paddle costs $150 and a decent used boat costs $400. Try a lot different kind of boats. Join a local paddling club. Then you’ll find what you want. The best used boats get offered to club members first and often are available on a payment plan among friends.

agree
I agree with both prior comments. Tell us what area you are in (you can either tell us or fill out a profile, which is a nice gesture anyway if you are going to participate in the forums – you can limit completely how much information you wish to share.)

Many times on the forums folks like you looking for a used boat are helped by those of us who can check the Craigslist posts in your region and make suggestions of available models that might be good for you. As petite as you are, it will be very important to find a low enough volume and narrow enough boat that you will not be overwhelmed trying to paddle it. There are some youth sized and low volume boats that would work for you, once we can determine what sort of waters and outings you are leaning towards.

And if you do find either an outfitter who offers on the water demos and/or classes, or can find a MeetUp group or paddling club where you can have exposure to various boats, that will also boost your ability to select an appropriate boat.

also good to selef-select category
It is also good to self-select the basic category of boat you want.

There is an article in California Kayaker Magazine that can be read online about different types/categories of kayaks. Might be worth a read. Issue #10 at http://www.calkayakermag.com/magazine.html.

From the basics you said, it sounds like a sit on top, recreational kayak, or a touring kayak would all work for you. Still leaves a pretty broad selection, which is why it would be good for you to figure out which way you want to consider.

If you still are not sure, then the prior suggestion of borrowing or renting boats until you get a better feel would be something you might want to consider. Save you from possibly buying a boat that doesn’t work for you.

I have just updated my info- I currently live in Western NC/Asheville, where I have access to anywhere from slow moving rivers to Class IV rapids. However, I will likely be leaving the area (but still staying in the Appalachian region). I have more of an interest in paddling in flatwater lakes, but am looking for something that is versatile enough to have an enjoyable paddle in other environments.

in your area
You will probably see many more whitewater kayaks for sale in your area b because there is so much of that kind of paddling in NC.

Boats that are best for touring on flatwater don’t tend to have the characteristics that are best or even safe for whitewater, but there are some models that can be OK on lakes and OK for mild rapids (class I and II.) I did see one on the Asheville Craigslist that might suit you for a starter boat, a Dagger Cypress for $450:

https://asheville.craigslist.org/for/5633369549.html

I have no personal experience with it, but according to many reviews on here (it is an older boat) it sounds like it could suit you. Several average sized female owners say the boat fits them well and some even say that their kids are also able to paddle it, though kids tend to be pretty adaptable so you might find the cockpit too spacious. Many also report it does well in mild rapids. It is a little heavy for its 12’ length but that is often true of older Dagger kayaks, though it makes them very durable. It looks like the one for sale does not have a bulkhead in the bow so you would need to buy an inflatable flotation bag to stuff in there for safety (they run around $30).

If you go to look at it, I would offer them $350 or $400 if it actually fits you decently. That is around the fair market value for a kayak that age and model.

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=496

kayak purchase
My friend is your sized. she has a very hard time getting the boat on and off her vehicle herself.

I suggest going to a local kayak shop and try them out. Even trying out an older boat can give you a tremendous amount of information