Fished Lake Lincoln State Park

-- Last Updated: Jan-21-05 11:35 PM EST --

I spent the day fishing for crappie with Buddha after we met by coincidence yesterday. Buddha was there on his maiden voyage with his new Tarpon 14. He managed 1 keeper and several that we wondered how they swallowed the jig before having to leave after lunch. I, on the other hand, caught 1 spike, 1 chicken, 1 bream (which I promptly dropped overboard on the way to the cooler), and a good treetop that kept all 8 of the jigs I had on my spider rig. Well, the company was good and so was lunch. After lunch, I went back and fished some more. Things went much better after a good meal. One of the old men who watched me try to bring up that tree top took pity on me and showed me how he had his lines rigged. I took his advice and rerigged, dropped my lines, and after only three or four paddle strokes and I had my first keeper, crappie, that is--I kept the spike too. By day's end I had 8 keeper crappie in the box and one catfish and a suicidal deer. I didn't keep the chicken.

???

I thought I knew my fish pretty well but you had me confused for a minute with the “spike” and the chicken. Did you catch them with the infamous bumper bait?

Sounds like a good deal. Those “ole timers” can surely save the day. Hope I grow up to be one.

Kingfish and I are looking into trying to learn to catch the “wily, mythical sacalait” (his description) somewhere close to Baton Rouge so we can make easy day-trips. All fisherpersons welcome.

P.S. note for Yankee readers: White Perch, Crappie and Sacalait are regional names for the same fish. ;o)

is a chicken like a rooster fish?
Fishing with Buddha? Is the spike a deer? Do you have any extra medication?

Buddha is an online name for kayaker
Here is the story. I left home last Friday morning at 6:00 am. Before I got out of town, I ran over a deer. I loaded the deer up to take to a friend. On the way out to his house somebody’s chicken flew into my windshield. causing it to crack all the way across. After cutting parts off my fender that were rubbing the tire, I went on fishing. And to top it off, this happened in my new 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I have only made four payments on.