Fishing from a kayak, heres some advice

If you decide to go fishing in a kayak, try to keep your tackle box somewhere in front of you, somewhere where it can easily be reached. If you have an open, or a 2 person kayak, it’s not much of a hassle. Side-cast works better since you are sitting down. You might want to find a way to ankor down to to prevent drifting.

Some of my best fishing has been
while drifting. I often use a drift sock to control the drift. Actually, I don’t have as much luck anchored as I do allowing the kayak to drift, slowly without the sock if the wind isn’t blowing much or its still, or with the sock if the wind gets much above 10mph, which is most of the time in SE Texas. As for the tackle box, I cured that situation by building a work deck for my sit inside kayak that has three sides to hold my tackle bos, small drink cooler, and even a smaller cooler I use for baits that are best if kept cold. And, when drifing, I sometimes get lazy and don’t even cast, just freeline the amount of line I want out and turn the crank.

Anchoring in a kayak
I fish rivers that have moderate current. Anchoring in some places isn’t such a big deal, but there are places where anchoring could have some unfortunate consequences (unless you have gills). I’ve not put an anchor in any of my kayaks. It’s definitely on the “to do” list even though anchoring in a kayak has always been a bit like saying, “I’m not sure when I want to die, but I know I want to be wet.”

• Big D

why is anchoring so dangerous?
Why does anyone feel that anchoring is dangerous?

In a Current…
…the anchor holds you in place (especially if it gets stuck on the plethora of bottom debris that is present on the river bottom) and the current continues to try to push you downstream. When you have stretched the anchor rope to it’s limit, your boat now becomes a submarine. So, like Big D, I’m squeemish about anchors in current on the Ozark rivers I frequent. I have a small one, but have rarely used it. WW

Many old time river fishermen use a
length of chain for their anchor, it doesn’t tend to hang up on rocks and slide over them if the current is slow, acts like a drift chute. But, I think, usually, if you want to fish faster water, its better either to do it wading, from the bank, or, if you can, tied off to something. Went river fishing this weekend on the middle Brazos, very rocky with fairly fast current. There’s no way I’d want to carry the size anchor I’d need to anchor in the faster current areas. If you do anchor in rivers, have a quick disconnect or a sharp knife. Be sure your anchor is one you can afford to lose.

Right.
Anchoring in whitewater or fast current is probably asking for it. And, you would have to paddle upstream, like mad, to break it loose.

I have no problems with plain old anchoring. That’s how I sometimes fish, read or just catch rays. Lazy day, but a day on the water, nonetheless.

For my canoe, I use the collapsing lead type, 5 lb, and three feet of chain. 100 feet of three-strand rode. All kept in a mesh bag.

Anchoring
I will anchor in a lake, but i have never fished in a river while paddling.

Much of my fishing these days is for
catfish in lakes. I don’t anchor much. If the wind is not blowing hard, I’ll just let the kayak drift, if it blows harder, use the drift anchor. Pretty much, I’m more of a caster than a still fisherman even for catfish, though work an area more slowly than for bass or other fish.

Try this experiment
Take a toy boat, something that floats upright.

Now, put a small screw eye on the front and tie a piece of line and some weight to the line. Enough to anchor the boat. Now float that boat in some still water like a pond. No problem, right? Good.

Take that boat and anchor to an area of moderate to strong current and see what happens. The boat will be pushed by the current, but just because the boat can’t go downstream, that doesn’t mean that the water will quit pushing. The water doesn’t care. It will push and push and push. If the current is strong enough, the bow will dip where the line is attached, and continue to dip until the bow is underwater. When the bow of a boat goes underwater, bad things happen. That’s what’s dangerous about anchoring a kayak in moderate to strong current.

• Big D

Flying anchor
Don’t forget the old BASS anchor–use a locking pliers or spring-loaded clamp tied to a rope, and clamp it to a tree limb or a bush. As long as the limb/tree/bush is strong enough to hold you, it will avoid some of the submarining/getting stuck issues. Of course, there are just some places where you can’t anchor.

Also, some people don’t like the tackle box in front of them in case of a wet exit. A tackle box (especially open!) could be a safety hazard if it traps you in the yak. I have to be honest, I am guilty of this almost every trip, but I have thought carefully about the possibilities and now limit myself to a much smaller bag than before.

i anchor every
time i go fishing in my kayaks. when the water is running faster i will use a 5# anchor. i fish rivers with current almost exclusively.i run the line through the front handle with a snap ring…mikey

But that’s not the whole story
While Yakbow is an exceptional fisherman and will do what it takes to get to the fish, he also gets a lot of swimming practice.

Then again, he’s often the first guy on the scene for a rescue, so I guess it all works out.

I’m ready to try Needles some morning when you’re not locked in your radio closet. Ran it in a raft and didn’t see anything that’d scare me in a kayak. So long as the level’s OK, anyway.

• Big D

Hey Mikey!!!
What are YOU doing over here!!! Don’t remember you ever posting over here before…but I’ve been know to be wrong…regularly. (THe child brides makes sure I’m reminded of that dang-near daily. :wink: