Fishing Gathering Beaufort SC

The Beaufort Area Redfish Flotilla (B.A.R.F.)will be sponsoring BARF III, at Hunting Island Lagoon, SC, from the 9th through 11th of November.

There will be a gathering at the Campground at 6 P.M. on the 9th, with Frogmore Stew (Also known as Lowcountry Boil, and Beaufort Stew. Frogmore Stew, for the uninitiated, is tasty mix of Fresh Shrimp, Corn on the Cob, Potatoes, Onions, Sausage and spices) and socializing until whenever…

On Saturday, there will be a fishing competition, with prizes awarded for largest aggregate of one Redfish, one Seatrout and one Flounder caught. All fish caught will be photographed on official event ruler to be eligible for the prizes. Release is preferred… Though no one would get upset if you kept one or two for dinner.

There will also be a separate prize for largest aggregate caught on flyrod.

There will be a small entry fee (Around $20.00), that will include all the Frogmore Stew you can eat and (Hopefully)T-Shirt for the event (If no T-Shirt, the entry fee will be much less…

Sunday will be just a bunch of guys fishing and hanging out.

If interested, email me at yakonthefly@gmail.com, and I will forward you to the unofficial blog site and will give you more details.

YotF

Event Report - BARF 2007
We had a great turnout for the Friday night Frogmore Stew Meet and Greet. A total of 20 anglers, to include one of KFS founders, Jon S, and some guests, arrived and enjoyed some great Frogmore Stew and socializing, from about 6 P.M. until close to 10 P.M… :thumbsup:

A last minute change of venue, likely resulted in several others not making the event. :frowning:

Saturday morning arrived, and another 4 anglers arrived and signed up for the days festivities. We had anglers from Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Colorado, and New Jersey.

The weather was excellent, with winds in the 10-15 MPH range, and temperatures in the low 70’s. Almost everyone caught fish, and three anglers caught Lowcountry Slams (Redfish, Seatrout and Flounder)…

The event winners were:

1st Place - Milton Mazariegos (BlufftonYak) with a 3 fish Lowcountry Slam total of 57". Milton received a Custom made wood Flats Boat, courtesy of Paddling4Reds, for his efforts.

2nd Place - Scott Manchester (Cutmullet) with a total of 46-3/4". Scott received a nice Penn Intl’ Travel Rod and Penn SG3000 Sargus Reel courtesy our sponsor, Lowcountry Marine Supply.

3rd Place - Sonny Higham (Sonnybass) with a total of 46-1/2". Sonny received a nice Carbon Fiber Kayak Paddle courtesy of our sponsor, Higher Ground.

The Flyfishing division was won yet again by last years winner, Scott Townsend (5151), who had the privelage of giving himself a gift… (This division has a traditional Bottle Of Dark Rum awarded by the previous years winner to this years winner…) Of course with the wind, not many people were flyfishing…

Now to start planning for next year…

YotF

**BARF = Beaufort Area Redfish Floatilla

No big fish prize category?
Sounds like loads of fun.

Not this year… Just starting…
I will need to get more sponsors if have other categories.

It was fun, you would have enjoed the whole thing… People, place and fishing.

YotF

I’d have to admit knowing zilch
about salt water fishing. I grew up 45 miles from Galveston, but we almost never went to the coast. When I started fishing seriously, I hit the fresh and kept with it. Now, I’m 75 miles from the salt and gas prices keep me close to home…I’ve learned to fish the lake that’s 2 miles from my home and its considered pretty poor.

Would enjoy learning about saltwater fishing and would have enjoyed the tounament. Unfortunately, travel more than 150 miles doesn’t fit the budget these days.

That is a shame on the budget…
You would definately enjoy the trip here…

Check out these photos…

http://atlantakayakfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2857&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

YotF

The pictures showing trees right up
next to saltwater get to me. Here, its marsh and flats. The trees stop at the coastal prairie 40 miles from the bay. That’s one of the things I do not care for about salt water fishing here, its not much on the aesthetic side.

Nice pictures of the fish too. I really liked the pirogue bowl, looked good.

Try to budget a trip for next year…
Well worth the trip…

YotF

I’ve started building boats. That may
take my spare resources. Plan on building a couple if my first works out, both a rowing boat and a kayak.