Fishing kayak for recreation?

Found a 2018 Predator MX for a great price and I like it but not a fisherman, ok for just using on the lake and rivers paddling about?

Sure. It won’t be very fast, unless it is the peddle model, It will be very stable. A good boat for exercise .

Want something stable for lake and some rivers. 2018 model, used twice for $725. Buy it or pay about the same for a new recreational?

I am assuming you understand the differences/pros/cons between recreational and sit in top? If not, check out an article on this subject in California Kayaker Magazine (issue #10, read online for free at http://www.calkayakermag.com/magazine.html).

And I am assuming when you say rivers, you mean lazily moving, flat water rivers. Any decent currents would be considered white water and usually calls for higher skills and/or different boat.

That all said, fishing SOTs are often the same as recreational SOTs, just with rod holders and the like built in. In the Old Town Predator case, it may be a fishing specific boat (perhaps no non-fishing version available). It definitely would work if you aren’t fishing, but the lawn chair style seat will likely be not as efficient a paddling platform as a standard seat, so it won’t be a performance machine (not that most any recreational/fishing sit on tops are).

Thanks, I will review the article.

Disregard after some additional research, I think I’m gonna go with the Native Ultimate 12. I think the canoe/kayak hybrid Will work best for me. Thanks y’all

I like the looks of the Native boats.

I dig the simplicity of it; not fond of all the doo-dads on the others.
Still looking at lots of boats in case something looks/feels/works better for me.
Thanks everyone, Happy Thanksgiving!

Any thoughts on a very slightly used 2018 Old Town Predator MX vs. a new Native Ultimate 12? $725 for the Predator and $850 for the Native.
Primary use in lake and rivers, no fishing but perhaps some camping.
Looking at the Native tomorrow, the Predator is 2 hours away.

I see that the Old Town Predator MX weighs 83 pounds and the Native Ultimate weighs 54. If you are looking for a boat just to go paddling with, this is a no-brainer. My beef with fishing kayaks has always been that they weigh as much as “real” paddling craft that are a whole lot bigger, so they really are the worst of all possible combinations - the shorter versions are too small and yet, somehow, also too heavy. At least a stripped-down Native Ultimate 12, though still too heavy for what you get, has a weight that’s not completely unreasonable for a plastic boat that’s 12 feet long.

New paddlers often don’t “get” this. Consider that full-size tandem aluminum canoes are considered too heavy for solo use by almost everyone, and there’s a reason most of them sit alongside the shed and never get used. That Old Town Predator is significantly heavier than most 17’ aluminum canoes.

Good point and all in all, I keep coming back to the Native when looking at options, just seems the right fit for my wants. thanks!

Have you looked at a Pungo 120. For the activities you list ,it is a perfect boat. Easily picked up with one hand and one of the most comfortable seats around.
It is a fairly quick, maneuverable boat.
I have a 120 and 140(for bigger people). I’ve loaned them to many
beginners who have enjoyed them.

Thanks but really want a SOT. Currently considering the Native Slayer 12 with paddle for $859 and the Kaku Wahoo 12.5, no paddle for $975…or $945; can’t remember which.
Very different but I want something VERY stable as I’m a big, clumsy oaf at times, an open deck (not sure why but it seems right for me, don’t want something between my legs in the boat) and a good seat.
I also just stumbled on the Jackson Cruise 12; think the price is around $900. Have not put my hand on one yet though.

Any thoughts on these 3 or something similar? The guy selling the Jackson and Native is saying the Kaku is lesser quality due to being made in China. While I love to support US companies, I also recognize one almost has to buy from China now and then. If the quality is that vastly different, I’ll stick to US. Thoughts appreciated on this aspect of my choice as well. Cheers.

One more try. Add a Wilderness Systems Tarpon to your possible list. For your size you need a 140.
WS lists them as touring boats and based on my one time comparison to fishing yaks, they are faster.
You will not find a more comfortable seat.

Thanks. Does the seat sit up high like the ‘lawnchair’ type seats? How stable is that Tarpon 140? It’s quite a bit narrower than the others.
Any thoughts about the Kaku? I only ask because I really liked it but now have some reservations about it being manufactured in China. The dealer at the competing store of course doesn’t like them but he’s also trying to sell me a kayak so not sure how far his argument goes.

The Tarpon seats adjust several different ways like back height and seat angle. They are not lawn chair type but the design keeps your butt out of the water. The boats are very stable. I have had mine in conditions I hope to never paddle again .
Width: it is perfect for decent speed without being a barge. You have to get the paddle over the side and the wider the boat the more difficult that becomes.
Never heard a a Kaku but I am on my 4th Tarpon. I paddle a 160. Tried the 140 but like 16’ better.

@string said:
The Tarpon seats adjust several different ways like back height and seat angle. They are not lawn chair type but the design keeps your butt out of the water. The boats are very stable. I have had mine in conditions I hope to never paddle again .
Width: it is perfect for decent speed without being a barge. You have to get the paddle over the side and the wider the boat the more difficult that becomes.
Never heard a a Kaku but I am on my 4th Tarpon. I paddle a 160. Tried the 140 but like 16’ better.

Tarpons are made a mile from my house in Greenville, SC.

Any closer to a decision?