Fishing near woodstock

I am going to be traveling to the woodstock ny area in July and wondering if there were any good places to launch my canoe and fish. Slow rivers or lakes will be nice. I am really into trout but I know that might be tough in July. So any species will be good.

Thanks

A few

– Last Updated: May-24-16 6:39 PM EST –

The Esopus River has excellent trout fishing but it generally moves fast however there are slow sections. Trout are available year round. The Esopus is one of the classic Catskill rivers that are the birthplace of American fly fishing. Lee Wulff made the Esopus famous.

I was going to suggest Ashokan Reservoir, but after looking at the regulations there, it would be impractical for someone just visiting. If you want to go through all that they require it may be an option for you, but I suspect not.

Also the Wallkill River offers excellent fishing and is generally a slow moving stream.

I've ever been there but I hear Honk Lake and Chodikee Lake are pretty good bass lakes. Also Rondout Creek has good fishing. Info here. http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?1833

The Catskills have some terrific stream/river fishing so bring your waders. Lots of browns, some brookies…just adjust to the time of day(early & late)…depending on the weather and stream levels/temps. July is terrific terrestrial action but there might be some summertime hatches happenning as well. Bucktails/streamers early AMs/late PMs…on both smaller streams and the main rivers can work well.