Fitness without muscle gain

How? I’d like to lean up but my body wants to build muscle as a result of exercise. Are there some tricks to this, or is it purely a function of body type?

I suspect body type. I get definition but little bulk . But, I have long arms , legs, and torso.

Less calories? Here’s info from one training site but I’ve no idea if it’s accurate: https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/10-ways-build-strength-without-size/

I don;t understand. Why would you not want to build muscle?

Less weight
More reps

Which kind of fitness are you aiming for? Better endurance?

For endurance, the majority of your training sessions should be long sessions at low intensity. This type of training will train your aerobic system (the system which uses fat as a fuel instead of sugar), and it is the aerobic system which gives you endurance.

As a side bonus, it will probably also cause some weight loss.

Agree with Grayhawk!
Last year I had a “spare tire” so bad that I was ashamed to go shirtless, but I was not overweight for my height).
In the past three months I have lost twelve pounds just by eating fruit (strawberries pineapple, bananas, apples, etc) with my nightly glass of wine instead of cheese and crackers and sweet goodies. I also gave up deserts
I am still exercising basically the same.
My “spare tire” is just about gone and I even feel better

Life is good

Another agree with Greyhawk. In my younger days l had a good ability to gain bulk in my shoulder area. But as l get older and have to drop the weights to forestall needing surgery for arthritis in places like shoulders, whenever l get stronger l don’t get the size l did in my 40s.
Does make buying shirts easier.

@Celia said:
Another agree with Greyhawk. In my younger days l had a good ability to gain bulk in my shoulder area. But as l get older and have to drop the weights to forestall needing surgery for arthritis in places like shoulders, whenever l get stronger l don’t get the size l did in my 40s.
Does make buying shirts easier.

I doubt that buying shirts will ever be easy for me. It seems that a long torso with wide, muscular shoulders and chest isn’t a popular fit. I end up having to buy a shirt that’s made for average height overweight people and it’s never long enough.

@grayhawk said:
Less weight
More reps

What does this equate to if I’m not actually working out in a gym? I kayak and walk/hike. Kayaking these days entails day trips about once a week 20-30km [12.5-18.5mi] in 4-5 hours. Sometimes I go out for an hour or two in the evening after work as well. Walking usually takes up about 2 hours and I keep a brisk pace around 5-7 km/h [~3-4 mph]. Kayaking works my lower abdominal muscles, but I’d like to find something I can do outside that’s more focused on this area.

I suppose it makes sense, but the more I do these things the easier they get and I have to push harder to feel like I’m getting a good workout.

@JackL said:
Agree with Grayhawk!
Last year I had a “spare tire” so bad that I was ashamed to go shirtless, but I was not overweight for my height).
In the past three months I have lost twelve pounds just by eating fruit (strawberries pineapple, bananas, apples, etc) with my nightly glass of wine instead of cheese and crackers and sweet goodies. I also gave up deserts
I am still exercising basically the same.
My “spare tire” is just about gone and I even feel better

Life is good

Well crap. I like cheese…and sugar. :wink:

Oh, to be human. Yes, there is the whole “self control” and “willpower” component too.

@Allan Olesen said:
Which kind of fitness are you aiming for? Better endurance?

For endurance, the majority of your training sessions should be long sessions at low intensity. This type of training will train your aerobic system (the system which uses fat as a fuel instead of sugar), and it is the aerobic system which gives you endurance.

As a side bonus, it will probably also cause some weight loss.

I think endurance and an overall reduction of body fat is what I’m after. I have plenty of excess muscle and strength.

I wonder if adding in biking would be an overall benefit. The last couple of times I was on a bike I ended up being winded much of the time. I need to find the right pace.

You can do long slow distance training using a heart rate monitor or rate of perceived exertion. It works.

@Rookie

Thanks for the chart. It looks very useful and I’ll give it a try. Anyone have some suggestions for small budget-priced heart rate monitors?

@Sparky961

Try the free Cardiio app (iOS/Android). Designed by MIT Ph.D. scientists and engineers. As most heart rate calculators ask for your resting heart rate, you need to know your average RHR. Cardiio will measure and save the info. Best if you use it before you get out of bed each morning. It does report your HR each time you use it, but not continually like a monitor will.
https://www.cardiio.com/

If your devise doesn’t have a flash, it uses facial recognition. I have the app on my iPod 6 as well as my iPad mini. iPod has a flash; iPad doesn’t. I tested it once using both devices within a minute of each and was surprised to see the same HR reading. I prefer using the pulse in my finger for the measurement (don’t want a closeup of my face first thing in the morning. Yikes!)

I’ve no experience with monitors other than my Forerunner 310XT so hopefully someone will chime in with their experience.

If you have an Android phone, there is a good chance that it supports the ANT+ protocol. Then you just need to buy a cheap ANT+ heart rate sensor and install a free app on the phone, for example Endomondo.

Examples of ANT+ sensors:
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Premium-Heart-Monitor-Strap/dp/B00BI9X1QM
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10997-00-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000UOD5QM

If not, you can buy a somewhat more expensive Bluetooth heart rate sensor. They exist both as chest straps and arm bands. All smart phones should be able to communicate with this type of sensor.

Examples of Bluetooth sensors:
https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-TICKR-Heart-Monitor-Bluetooth/dp/B00INQVYZ8
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XIT788C/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?pd_rd_i=B00XIT788C&pd_rd_wg=fMKL9&pd_rd_r=3H8WA04EMGE6CBTWHZ9S&pd_rd_w=PuDE0&th=1

ahhh assume you’re not going for the raft guide look- man boobs (from paddling) and a beer belly (from excessive pbr consumption) . You can look like the buddha and paddle like him if you’re willing to hoist a few 12 ounce curls after paddling.
Personally I;ve never been accused of putting on too much muscle. I like the protein shakes with the blue ribbon on the can.

PBR was THE beer when I was at Clemson over 50 years ago, mainly because it was cheap.
Haven’t had one in decades.

@tdaniel said:
Personally I;ve never been accused of putting on too much muscle.

Never accused, but when there’s something heavy to move I’m one of the first to be called upon.

I’m happy to report that I’ve toned up a lot in the past couple years. I’m looking to step it up a notch.

@Allan Olesen said:
If you have an Android phone, there is a good chance that it supports the ANT+ protocol. Then you just need to buy a cheap ANT+ heart rate sensor and install a free app on the phone, for example Endomondo.

Hmm… ya, doesn’t look like mine does. It’s an oddball, not a flagship model. I’ll buy a flagship model when it can go swimming with me.

It didn’t occur to me that I can do this without technology too. Thanks for the tips and links.