Fixed dent in fibreglass Seaward Luna Grande kayak

I’m looking at a used Seaward Luna Grande for 800 CAD with some minor “professionally repaired” (as said in the listing) dent (not a through one, surface). Here’s a picture. Is it something to be worried about and not to buy it?

1 Like

Professionally repaired?

Show me pictures of the whole boat inside and out. The year of the Boat is?

I don’t know the year, but here is the listing with more photos: Redirecting...

1 Like

The year built is the last two digits in the serial number, engraved at the outside stern of the hull. like this:

That picture is of a Luna Grande that I owned. Nice kayak and very well made. The one you’re looking at appears to be in good shape, with scratches on the bottom, but nothing deep. How big is that repaired spot on the hull? If it’s small, like 1 cm across or less, I wouldn’t worry about it. The “professional” who repaired it just dabbed some epoxy resin on it, which sealed it. You could fill it more flush with a little thickened resin or epoxy putty.

I believe the seat shown in the photos was used by Seaward sometime after mine was made, so I’m guessing the one you’re looking at is newer than 2002.

Perhaps the person who repaired it was a professional electrician or plumber?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it at that price. You can look at the inside of the kayak where that is and see if there is any damage to the composite layers right there. I can’t really tell what they filled in where the gelcoat used to be, but if there isn’t any damage to the composite layers, I wouldn’t worry about it. If there is damage to the composite layers, when you press on it right there, it may be softer and give more than the rest of the kayak, say the same spot on the other side of the bottom of the hull. You might see discoloration in the composite in that area from the inside of the hull. If nothing like that is evident, you’re fine. There are some who can’t rest until everything looks like brand new, and they would want to tear into it and not be satisfied until you had polished matching gelcoat shining there after an over-extensive repair. And I have no problem with anyone taking that kind of aesthetic pride in their things. There are others who inspect the integrity of the kayak for entirely practical purposes, and if the hull is sound, they don’t waste another minute on it. It’s not uncommon for a piece of gelcoat to get broken off of composite layers somehow. Keep in mind that some kind of impact caused it. If that’s all that happened, the composite layers are sound, and the gelcoat was replaced with whatever that is, there’s nothing to worry about. I hope it fits you well and you enjoy it for years to come.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your advice! The kayak looked good and the dent was small, but alas, I didn’t fit into it with my 6’5" and size 12 shoes :frowning:

1 Like

I feel your frustration. I’m your size and finding a boat I’m comfortable in is a challenge. A Tempest 180 is big enough and a friend has one for sale.

2 Likes

Get a CD Titan

1 Like