Flashlights?

Coleman
I carry two lights: a Coleman MAX Cree flashlight (115 lumens) http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cree-XLamp-Multi-Color-Flashlight/dp/B002X9BG9U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and a Coleman headlamp, 75 lumens.

Both have excellent throw—200 to 400 feet—and are relatively cheap. The headlamp has an even circle of light, with no distracting shadows.

They aren’t waterproof. That has turned out to not be less important than I thought. I mount the flashlight under the deck bungees and make sure it’s clipped to them. To keep it secure I insert it in a 6" tube of foam pipe insulation, which also offers some water protection. Having more than one light offsets the possibility of one getting wet or lost.

I Don’t Have Much Experience…
paddling at night, but if I were to go tonight I’d take my waterproof headlamp with the triple As. I’d use it as my workhorse light. I’d take my little Surefire with the CR123 batteries as my marker hunter. While camping I’ve used the red ‘night vision’ light on my headlamp quite a bit. A good feature to have I think.

my 2 choices

– Last Updated: Dec-11-11 3:15 PM EST –

are the United Kinetics QLED and Princeton Impact. Both LED, use 4 AA's and produce good strong beam. Each ran about $50 with tax from local dive shops where stocked as a "personal light". Each is rugged, waterproof and very reliable. Each fit well in hand or pocket. Neither is used as my white deck light. That task is for the twin LED Paddlers Cove wand with 2 AA's.

Maglight
Darn, I just got a maglight. I’ve been happy with it so far. Sad to hear it will have a corrosion problem.

Maglites
A real pita. You have to keep the threads lubed frequently so the parts don’t corrode together. All of the ones I’ve had and forgotten to do this, just get tossed. Most had been presents.

The Value of a MagLight
I have to drive through a rough neighborhood to get to work. I keep a “3D” MagLight handy in the car just in case I need to blind and/or club someone. I’m thankful that so far it just collects dust.

CR123 rechargeables
One thing I found out the hard way (after buying an expensive backpacking lantern) is that it is very difficult to find rechargeable CR123 batteries and a battery charger.

I haven’t experienced it myself, but
was warned by a long time competitor of the EC

Jack L

Look at this company
I have a few dive lights from them. They are pretty rugged.

petzl headlight
Mine spent a few days in a snowbank last winter; it still works fine. Three brightness settings as well as a flshing setting.

Headlights have come so far in such a short time. Light, small and bright!

For my camp I use the coleman lamp that screws to fuel canisters.

#3 and #4 hard to get

– Last Updated: Dec-12-11 1:22 PM EST –

to get a flashlight with a very tight beam and high power for illuminating something at a distance requires some watts and good optics. A high power flashlight that is simply a flood won't do. If it's small and light you'll only get that power for a short period of time using high capacity lithium ion rechargables. Which are great but not cheap or common.

This best setup I"ve got for that is an UnderwaterKintetics dive light. It's just bright enough and the beam is very tight. Uses four c-batteries. It's not small or light but can be attached under deck bungies. For most lighting purposes on a kayak it's too bright and will ruin your night vision but the tight narrow beam is what you need to illuminate something 200' away. It's somewhat flat/rectangular shaped and heavy enough to not bob around with every movement of the boat when holding it.
If you want something that's pocket sized then look to the 4AA flashlights but you'll lose some power and focused beam for far off illumination. I wouldn't bother with any of the aluminum handhelds because it's just not the material for a marine environment.
Think of UKsl4 as a replacement for the old fashioned 6v lantern flashlight but in 1/3 the size and totally submersible.

http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/sl4-eled

BATTERY DESCRIPTION: 4C Alkaline / LR14
BURN TIME (ALKALINE): 10 hrs
LIGHT OUTPUT (ALKALINE): 400 lm

even smaller PrincetonTec ImpactII
I like these and the flood version with three leds,the Attitude’ as backup pfd pocket flashlight. With disposable AAA lithiums these burn a LONG time and have plenty of light for most purposes. Unlike alkalines they can be left in the flashlight after being used awhile then used again a year later whereas alkalines risk leaking.

Not exactly something for signaling someone a mile away but perfect around camp, walking on trails, reading at night or last ditch stern/deck .

http://www.princetontec.com/index.php?q=impact-ii

LED better overall
it takes good optics and light output to project a beam a distance. It’s possible with LEDs it’s just that most lights don’t have the lens and reflector for it and heat dissipation is critical. The problem with incandescents/halogen besides the inefficiency and shorter bulb life is that the filament is vulnerable to shock. Drop an LED light bulb while it’s burning and it’ll still work, drop a high powered incandescent (not sure about xenon) and the filament in the bulb can break.

LED are great for close-up work
BUT I’ve never seen one that had range.

i keep a 4 AA-battery divers flashlight clipped to my PFD. the halogen bulb is bright enough for almost anything.

I also keep a waterproof Mag-light (D-cell) for long distance work. I’ve never had any problme with then corroding.

For night-time map-work, I have a waterproof headlight with red-led bulbs to read a map in the dark but not destroy my night-vision.

it’s all a matter of design
the UKsl4 above does have the range.

This is something totally different using LEDs, but 500watts worth

http://www.coolfall.com/images/SPY005/HV1T0129b.jpg

can I get one for trail running?

pulling the generator might be work

LED with range - one example

– Last Updated: Dec-12-11 7:21 PM EST –

Well, if you want to see and LED with good range, check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Wun9ct7RE&feature=relmfu

If you want to get an idea of what LED lights are capable of, watch some of the other videos in that same series of tests. The videos are pretty short and there are 75 or so of them with all sorts of LED lights covered. Very few of the lights did not have a range of at least 100 yards.

UK led

– Last Updated: Dec-12-11 7:32 PM EST –

I agree with LeeG. This light has the best output for under $100. I work in large steam boilers doing inspections and have tried most of the lights mentioned. This is the light I use for being able to see long distances. UL sells a LED light that uses 3 aa batteries that I like for keeping in my pocket as well. Both lights have great output and the batteries last a long time. You won't be sorry with the purchase of either.

LEDs rarely break, but the electronics
in the LED flashlights is vulnerable to damage from dropping - especially the solder joints. I’ve had a few fail. One I was able to repair by resoldering the lead to the PCB.

My experience has been that the better LED lights are much more likely to keep working after a drop than the average incandescent bulb.