Flashlights?

Which company?

wow
seems to me the next thing should be a basic 6v lantern battery with high output LED.

now what’s needed
are low cost rechargeable low self-discharge NiMh c-cells.

with ya on the Coleman canister lantern

– Last Updated: Dec-12-11 9:05 PM EST –

....... at camp , hang her from a limb , or carry over here or there when ya want .

Guess what I found out ... 6 gas canisters fit absolutey perfectly inside an a "large size" Igloo Playmate cooler !!! More than enough for a week trip to run the single burner screw on stove and the lantern , and the screw on stove burner fits inside too .

Kodak, Panasonic and others for AA, AAA
low self discharge, pre-charged rechargeable batteries. Eneloops aren’t the only option out there. Available at Walmart and other common brick & morter stores.

I don’t know is C and D size are readily available.

Hand or head? (Princeton TEC APEX)

– Last Updated: Dec-13-11 8:26 AM EST –

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=apex

200 lumens, waterproof to 3 meters, uses common AA batteries, I use Alkaline but lithiums would rock this headlamp.

Gander Mountain sells for 79 dollars...buy one. If you don't think this lamp rocks, I'll buy the lamp from you and pay the postage....wadda ya got to lose?

(NO, I don't own P-TEC stock...lol)

I bought mine when I wanted to be able to scout campsites from my Yak without having to get out of the boat...

It is without a doubt the brightest headlamp I've ever found, and it has low and mid range power options, as well as emergency flashing....

I've been able to spot other kayakers at half a mile with it.

52,000 lumens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBgGtpN6OIU&feature=related

Then again, this light doubles as a firestarter!

Batteries can go dead, instead
use a torch. Sorry, just had to point out a major argument against using a GPS.

Another possibility
If you find a light that is perfect in every way EXCEPT for waterproofness, maybe you could put it in a waterproof soft case like what’s available for cameras.

For sheer brightness and long-distance beam, some of the very expensive bike light systems would undoubtedly serve well. Unfortunately, (at least in the past) they use proprietary batteries, and I doubt they’re waterproof enough for kayaking use. But maybe check them out for recent improvements; NiteRider actually specialized in scuba lights before they started making cycling lights. In my experience, the heavy Ni-Cad bottle-cased batteries lasted for 5 years each of use a few times a week during Standard Time months. Newer ones use lithium batteries. Places like Colorado Cyclist carry the high-end lights.

Lubing the threads
I smeared a little bit of clean Phil Wood grease on the threads of my old Maglites. That’ll keep the caps from seizing. You could still have condensation form inside the lights, though.

I wouldn’t use those for water applications, either. They don’t bill them as being waterproof.

SUREFIRE
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.pl

They do cost about $100, but they are worth it. I have several.

Besides the cost, the run time is limited.

On the hand, they are vey small, and put out like 120 lummens.

The CR123 batteries do not have much run time, BUT they have a really, really long storage life.

Do not know how many times I put a new flashlight with fresh batteries in the truck, and just to find it dead when I really needed it.

Have had good luck with big Stanley
Halogen… Has recharged to full brightness over & over.

Have a couple and also have holders I synch, upside down…around thwarts, giving me a widely lit area during the portage/take-out in the evening.

Flashlights?
I use two lights for night paddling. One waterproof LED twist on goes on my PFD back shoulder so others can see me. I use the Guardian light for that, a great little light.

For longer projection check out lights by Princetec, Pelican and similar companies. They’re rugged, waterproof, and bright. Cheers

Ikelite or Underwater Kiinetics
are what I have used extensively for night diving and a tagging project involving subadult green turtles. The Ikelite has proven to be a bit tougher and I am not easy on dive equipment.

Check out Streamlight
http://streamlight.com/

They make a wide variety of lights that are used by the military, fire, and police depts.

Dammit Jack!
I have a little obsessive-compulsive ‘thing’ for flashlights. I have too many around but when I run across a cool one I have to buy it. Your post prompted me to order a new keychain light. Maybe it’ll be a good thing. (CR123 battery by the way).

Sorry about that Rex
You should see the little 1 inch long LED one that came in the goodie package with our new SPOT tracking device. It puts out a better beam than all my old filament bulb ones

Still haven’t picked up a LED flashlight, but I now now that I want a minimum of 100 Lumens.

We tried out our new head lamps the other day which are 100 lumens and they are awesome. We could read channel markers as if they were right in front of us at several hundred feet.

Jack L (from paradise)

Jack L

Send Us Some Heat
It’s starting to cool down up here. Hey, if someone put a gun to my head and said I had to pick a powerful light that would fit in my pocket I’d get something like this:

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=103

I still don’t know if the CR123 batteries fit your requirements, though.

Have fun.

Flashlight
The Black Diamond Storm headlamp is amazingly bright, 100 Lumens, fully adjustable light output, waterproof IPX-7, 4 AAA batteries. So far used it mostly biking so haven’t had it under water but it resists rain.

That is what we have
I was amazed at it’s brightness. It is supposed to be waterproof.

Now I just want to find a hand held one that has the same characteristics and relatively small.

Jack L