floatation?

I have a new Q700. The hatches do NOT leak a drop and I have sprayed them with a garden hose to test them as well as paddling through some bouncy sea water. I have also had swells cover the stern deck. No water inside the boat. I know some QCC paddlers have mentioned a little leakage.

My question is, has anyone ever tipped their QCC boat (or other comprable brand) and had the hatches come off? If so, I can see the wisdom of putting float bags fore and aft but these hatches seem quite firmly shut and sealed.

Forget about float bags!

– Last Updated: Apr-06-04 7:12 AM EST –

I know several (more than ten) people who own QCC kayaks, and I have NEVER heard of anyone ever loosing a hatch. That includes the "old" design hatch covers, which are held on with velcro straps. There is one review here of a QCC 600 that had the hatches blow off in crashing surf, but I would need more information about that particular incident before forming a negative opinion about all velcro fastened hatches. I've had my QCC 500 with velcro strapped hatches punching through surf, riding in surf and broaching back in on surf. I've had waves break on my back deck, front deck, and even implode my skirt, but never lost a hatch on my 500. I'm not going to say it can't happen, but it would be rare IMHO.

I believe if you practice due diligence, keep the velcro straps clean (yes, sand in the velcro will cause them to loose their stickiness!!) you should never have a problem.

With your new 700, the new hatch design with the fastex buckles is even more bombproof. The only way I would put float bags in my 700 (or 500 for that matter) is if I was going to paddle in an area where there was a high probability that I might breach the hull.

How do you like your 700?

The Type of Paddling
you do will dictate whether you want additional backup. Rock gardening, for example, is a type of paddling where a very dry bulkhead can become very flooded. Kiss a rock, puncture a hole, and you got a problem. However short of a whole section of the hole coming off, with float bags in place, you’ll still make it to shore.

For the paddling you do, speed related in open water, I don’t think you need the redundancy.

sing

I agree with Sing
Fron the great surf movie, “in God’s hands” If we do extreme things, we must practice extreme safety." (Not that I do extreme things but rock gardening in dynamic conditions is a step down that road)

So for rocks mixed with surf and truely nasty conditions I invite all to consider backing up their bulkhead system. Not needed as long as things are sealed, calm, and unpunctured.

I am one of the unfortunate ones…
…who had the rear hatch cover leak, and it wasn’t a little it was a bunch.

I am sure if the yak was upside down for any length of time the compartment would be full.

It was almost obvious that it would leak, since I never could get it sealed. It would rock diaganally when you pushed down on it.

I came close to getting a refund, but liked the yak so much I opted for a new hatch cover.

The new one pushes down and pops into place and appears to be sealed with a suction. I have tested it and it doesn’t leak a drop.

I wouldn’t put flotation in the compartments, and don’t plan on doing it.

Cheers, from another satisfied QCC 700 customer.

JackL

i love my 700
I can’t get enough of my new 700. The more I paddle it, the better it gets. I can’t imagine a faster boat. I haven’t yet seen a more attractive boat either. I am relatively new to this and only 10 days ago, I had been paddling exclusively a Tapron SOT. The 700 is supposed to be an intermediate to advanced paddler kayak but I am doing well in it. No dumps yet even in quartering stern winds and chop/swells.

thanks
Thanks all. I do not do extreme things in my boat. I am usually in relatively calm water with sand bottom all around so no floatation bags for me.

Glad to hear your leak prob is solved, Jack. This is truly a champion kayak.

Backup for velcro hatch straps.
I’ve had my QCC velcro hatch cover straps come completely undone in three situations – 1) rescues involving other kayakers or swimmers, 2) getting trashed in breaking surf, and 3) while towing, where the tow line works its way under the loose ends of the straps and separates the velcro.

The solution is simple and cheap. At most outdoor stores, you can find a variety of plastic fittings and accessories for web straps. Just pick something which functions as a slider that provides a friction fit over the loose ends of the straps.