floodwater put-ins

When you go down to the river and it looks like this one would think it would be easy to launch a canoe. Turns out you may have to do quite a bit of scouting to find deep enough water so you don’t just beach yourself in a puddle in the park. One thing I have learned this year is that when the park is flooded your best launch points are right next to big trees.

I am reluctant to comment here, as paddling in flood conditions is strongly discouraged by all experts. That said, depending on the actual conditions, some of us do it. I prefer finding an area where the ground under the water is firm, then either getting my feet wet, or in colder weather wearing boots, I get out to where the boat floats about two inches over the bottom, straddle the boat and sit down.

@harry0244 said:
I am reluctant to comment here, as paddling in flood conditions is strongly discouraged by all experts. That said, depending on the actual conditions, some of us do it. I prefer finding an area where the ground under the water is firm, then either getting my feet wet, or in colder weather wearing boots, I get out to where the boat floats about two inches over the bottom, straddle the boat and sit down.

I was hoping this was in reference to a flooded lake? I would STRONGLY discourage paddling flooded rivers unless you have no choice.

Hmmm. Fair comments/warnings. This river is below flood stage but the river banks are “flooded” and have been so off and on since the real floods in February. I’m on the river almost every day this time of year so tuned in pretty well to the conditions…river is at 2.5 times normal volume but current is about normal so pontoon boats are out and families are playing in the river. I’ve never seen put-ins changing so much almost every day as this season…from normal to mega muddy to underwater.

One of the fun things we do at times in the spring is what we call Michigan Jungle Boating. Spring level waters - not flood - often allows you to paddle through the flood plain & cut off the ox bows. There is little to no current when we are doing this.

Stay off flooded rivers no matter what? It really depends on the river. I’ve paddled on the Wisconsin River when it’s been over the banks quite a few times. Most of the time I stay within the flooded forest on shore because that’s the easiest way to do a non-shuttle trip, and it’s interesting to explore the woods by boat instead of on foot. Other times I will travel some distance upstream through woods, and then come back down the main channel, perhaps going downstream of my starting point, then going back into the woods and paddling back to my starting point. Sure, once out on the main channel there’s the consideration of what to do if one capsizes and needing to pick a spot to get out of the main flow, but capsizing far out on a big lake is a situation that is no better when considering the greater distance to safety and that doesn’t cause everybody to say “do not ever paddle across lakes”. I’ve paddled smaller rivers that were bank-full or more numerous times as well, and on those particular rivers, where the current was not too strong to paddle against, staying out of strainers required no special effort for someone with decent boat control.

What is flooded? The Suwannee River @White Spring gauge, the standard, is at “flood” at 77ft. Yet many things are flooded, yards, woods, etc @ 62 ft. Paddling at 62 is great fun. As Guideboatguy says it depends upon the River and current conditions.

Paddling through the woods sounds great to me GBG, I’ve done some of that around here too since the river has been so full since the February floods. I paddled in a flooded soybean field during peak flood levels in February but not on the main river channel.

For me it’s just been kind of funny how often the local put-ins have changed, I imagine it’s because we are near the end of a 140 mile long river with many dams…so the local weather may not help predict tomorrow’s put-in conditions. On the super muddy days the dog flings mud all over me when she jumps in so I’m trying not to wear clean clothes. I bring an extra towel now. On the high water days I’m learning to put-in by the base of big trees since those seem to offer a small drop off to let you launch. I have no issue with wet foot launches except with the dog that makes six wet feet so I’ll make some effort to avoid starting off with so much water in the boat.

Should be interesting to see what’s in the river if the water levels ever get back to normal.

okay, I plead guilty. Some stuff I look to do when everything is getting blown out. Totally agree that there are many hazards. I personally don’tgo on big rivers and instead take to the creeks but know many others do like the big water, and staying home can also be a good option… .