fly rod & spinning reel

When I was a young novice to fishing,(some 45 years ago), I watched an old fisherman using a fly rod with a small spinning reel. He was always catching fish.

Some 30 years ago I decided to try the same set-up and see if my success rate was any better. After some trial and error, I’ve got it right, and can consistantly catch fish this way. I’m using an 8 and a half foot rod with an ultra-light open face reel, spooled with 4 lb. mono. For live bait presentation or tiny lures it is super.

Has anyone else used this kind of set-up? It really works great.

paddle safe, LJB.

Micro lite
Bass Pro sells a series of rods called Micro Lite. They range from 4’6" to 9’6" and cost about $35. They are built for small spinning reels and light line. I used to fish with a noodle rod which was 11’6" but it was too hard on the fish. With the longer softer rods you can use lighter line as the rod takes most of the strain. Try to break off 4# test with a long rod and you will see what I mean. I have seen large salmon caught on noodle rods with 4# test but no catch and release as the fish is near dead when you get it in. It is a lot of fun though. I lost several good salmon while fishing from a kayak with lighter line because of snags. On the kayak now I use a 7’6" microlite with 6# for stripers. It is easier to break off from the kayak if you get snagged.Note: a 1/16 oz mini jig in approprate colors for your area with an inch of worm jigged along the bottom works great for catfish.

I also use the 7.6 Bass Pro Microlite…
IM 6 graphite model…for bluegill and catfish on one lake I fish. To much hydrilla for fishing with lures, so use mainly meal worms. My reel is a Shimano Sonora 750 with 6lb test line. The rod is about the same size in the but as a 5 wt flyrod, tip is similar size too. A long rod of light weight and size will wear down a pretty good size fish. It may just take longer because of the light line.

Did it as a kid
Haven’t done it that way in a long while. Like others, I’ve used the spinning rods meant for soft presentations. Maybe it’s time to get a cheap fly rod and give it a try.

• Big D

I don’t much like using fly rods with
spinning equipment. The line guides are too small to allow for proper retrieval and tend to result in more line twist. Rather than using a tool not meant for the job, I’d suggest getting an ultralight long spinning rod or build one out of a fly rod blank of the length and wt class you want. Building a rod isn’t that difficult, but its not as cheap as it used to be, just cheaper than buying a top of the line rod.

Is it the equipment? Or the fisherman.
My brother can take a bent nail and line and catch fish where others come up empty.

It takes me 3 or 4 trips to scout a lake but Tim gets it the first time every time.

thanks,
for the info. I might see what I can find to build with, and put together a long spinning rod. Than when all this ice is gone I’ll be in business.

paddle safe, LJB.

Spinning reels developed from some
guy watching natives while on vacation, probably in the Carribean, wrap line around a can, tie on a hook and weight, bait the hook, and toss it out. Fish were caught and a new fishing invention discovered. Who needs a pole…just a distraction.

I use it.
I’ve been using this rig since last year. I’m going to buy one of the Bass Pro rods however as I’m not really liking the way this set up casts. The big problem is getting the new rod hidden amongst the others I have without the wife seeing it. Once it’s mixed in with the other 19 or so rods I have she’ll never know there’s a new one in there.

Its not difficult, especially if you can
go to a BPS store. The rods are two piece and will cleverly mix with other rods you already own as you bring them into the house. She need never know. If you need to hide it for a while,ship it to me, then I’ll send it to you saying its a used rod I don’t want anymore. I won’t really use, promise.

My favorite
way to fish for trout and salmon. Though I don’t use a fly rod anymore. I do use a 7’ ultralight spinning rod with a micro reel with 4-6 lb test. I found this setup ideal in brushy creeks and rivers as I don’t have 20 feet of flyline flailing around behind me. I got tired of losing flies to tree trout. I mostly fish streamers this way, but with the addition of a bubble float I can work a dry fly pretty well too.

No way
I know how to fly cast so there is no need to ruin a good fly rod. That’s similar to lowering a 4x4 pick up and making it a lowrider.